2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Are there some good juniors coming up for the Canadian women? And at nationals, can juniors compete in both senior and junior nationals? I think kaiya, the junior champ, did this but I'm not sure.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Once Kaiya won Junior Nationals, she had to move up to Senior the following year.
Skaters qualify for Nationals at the Challenge, and I can't ever remember a skater competing in both Junior and Senior Challenge events, let alone qualifying in both.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Are there some good juniors coming up for the Canadian women? And at nationals, can juniors compete in both senior and junior nationals? I think kaiya, the junior champ, did this but I'm not sure.
Kaiya only did senior last year (at Challenge), and junior the year before that. I think it might be theoretically possible to do both, but nobody does; that tends to be something you only see in countries like Japan and Russia where the junior and senior championships are held much further apart.

As far as current juniors, Kaiya was the best of her field by a wide, wide margin. 11-year-old Lulu Lin is probably the most noteworthy younger girl at the moment, but she's years away from competing internationally.

Finlandia Trophy assignments:

Keegan
Madeline
KMT & Michael
Vanessa & Eric
Marjorie & Zach
Carolane & Shane

I was wondering if they might send Kaiya here too, but evidently they're doing the traditional practice of sending juniors to the later Challengers after the Grand Prix has started.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kaiya is age-eligible for junior events, and that is why she competed in the JGP this season. She is also age-eligible for Worlds/Olympics. But domestically, Kaiya is a Senior, which is why she skated Senior at last year's Challenge (and would have gone to Senior Nationals, had it not been cancelled).

Kaiya may be age-eligible for Senior ISU Championships, but she must also earn the required minimum TES scores at a Senior ISU competition.

Minimum TES Worlds/Olympics: 30 SP/51 FS
Minimum TES 4CC: 23 SP/40 FS

That's why Skate Canada should send her to at least one Challenge event, and/or a Senior B.

Weathergal

Medalist
Really like their RD, which highlights their strengths. I would ditch that FD immediately, though. When they took the ice at Lombardia my first thought was, thank goodness they ditched those cartoony costumes. But with normal costumes the dance almost looks worse, because the old ones at least put the thing in context and gave you an idea of the story they were trying to tell. Now it’s just—weird.

Agree with the Colonel, this is team that should not be considered mid-pack, but as fighting to move into the top tier. Two years ago I was convinced that they were a real threat to Piper & Paul for the top spot in Canada! I don’t see that right now.

It’s time for them to step up, and I say this as a fan.
Yeah, I like them a lot and really want to like their FD, but...I just...don't.

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Any news on Stephen Gogolev? It looks like he is in Canada right now. I don't recall him doing any competitions since 2020 Junior Worlds. I hope we see him some time soon!

BearryBear

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Any news on Stephen Gogolev? It looks like he is in Canada right now. I don't recall him doing any competitions since 2020 Junior Worlds. I hope we see him some time soon!
Last I heard he had signed up for Ontario sectionals so hopefully we will get to see him skate soonish.

Balloon

On the Ice
In August I thought Vanessa was looking more polished, this program I thought it was more Eric.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Across two events:

JGP Russia
- nice clean showing from Wesley in the short program. Two of the jump landings were low-GOE, so he left a couple of points there, but he's well-positioned to compete for a medal and/or a points-based JGP Final qualification later.
- Nadiia & Peter unfortunately had it a bit rougher than that. It was a fun performance, but (and this isn't really a new thing with Lane teams) I think their transitions and some of the choreo are a bit too complicated for them to maximize the GOE and levels. They're also in fourth, but a couple of points back of third, so realistically they'd need somebody ahead of them to flub something to get a medal.

Autumn Classic
- Vanessa & Eric's new short program is much better than the previous one, I think, though neither is a threat to make my program of the year list. They look good together.
- Deanna & Maxime had a decent outing, jump notwithstanding. Lori-Ann & Thierry have a cool music choice, but so many of the elements remain messy.
- I thought Emily had noticeably improved on the performance side of things. But it was a struggle for all the women on the technical front (though looking at the event as a whole, they had a lot of company).

mrrice

Record Breaker
I just watched Gabby's SP from the Autumn Classic. I don't mind the mistakes, it's the look she gave as she took her bows. She's so beautiful yet, she looks like she'd rather be somewhere else. Wishing her the best in the Free.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I've just been watching the FS of the Pairs, and the Canadians did quite well. Lori-Anne and Thierry did not have their day but they were still beautiful to watch. Deanna and Maxime were really great. Sure, some mistakes on the jumps but a fantastic not often executed death spiral, great lifts and just looking good. Vanessa and Eric (were second) look really nice together - lines! - but Vanessa did not have her day on the jump part (and I know she can).

The Japanese were fabulous and won deservedly, and they have a Canadian coaching team.

Also, great commentary by Kevin Reynolds and Meagan Duhamel.

Balloon

On the Ice
I wonder if Kaiya Ruiter will get some senior assignments for the challenger series. She seems to be Canada's best woman's skater currently skating.
I’d like to see a few in all disciplines try more Senior B assignments.
We really need to push the competing with our athletes, it’s almost been two years and I fear, (no competitions) this is becoming the norm to them