2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I thought he had posted a video of him and his kid on the ice but it has to be a nephew or something, his baby is a month or two old.
30 is not old.
30 is not old for common mortals.. but for figure skaters, it is. I understand how you feel, Keegan being your favourite skater. However, it is clear it is his last season. In the meantime, carpe diem ! Enjoy him as much as you can... In 2018, Patrick nearly retired before the games... he vanished after skate Canada... he left Zoueva. He was probably in a state of shock... his fans wished for ONE thing and one thing only... that he would fight back and at least go to the games... otherwise, he wouldn't find closure... thankfully, he was supported properly and came back.... I enjoyed Patrick's O games as much as I could. He, winning the LP in the team event, even if his performance wasn't flawless was iconic. Not only did the team win gold, but he had pulled his weight into this. I wish you the same happy feelings. However, do not expect me to sugar coat it... Keegan is old for a figure skater. There is no need to deny it.

ashleyming

On the Ice
30 is not old for common mortals.. but for figure skaters, it is. I understand how you feel, Keegan being your favourite skater. However, it is clear it is his last season. In the meantime, carpe diem ! Enjoy him as much as you can... In 2018, Patrick nearly retired before the games... he vanished after skate Canada... he left Zoueva. He was probably in a state of shock... his fans wished for ONE thing and one thing only... that he would fight back and at least go to the games... otherwise, he wouldn't find closure... thankfully, he was supported properly and came back.... I enjoyed Patrick's O games as much as I could. He, winning the LP in the team event, even if his performance wasn't flawless was iconic. Not only did the team win gold, but he had pulled his weight into this. I wish you the same happy feelings. However, do not expect me to sugar coat it... Keegan is old for a figure skater. There is no need to deny it.
Talking about Patrick, I just came across a conversation of Patrick and other fellows about being East Asian in Figure Skating. 😊

When being asked about whether Patrick should skate to the music from "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" in the ice shows, he said humorously that he would have to lose about 20 pounds first. 😂 Lol!
Anyway, :( still wondering if he would return to the rink to skate in Stars On Ice and other events, it's been a while since his latest performance in 2019.

mrrice

Record Breaker
:ot: Canadians, Last night I was introduced to a band called "Walk Off The Earth" I had never heard of them and I was wondering if you enjoy their music. I thought they were amazing.

Last edited:

ashleyming

On the Ice
Patrick looks good ... no need to lose any weight ;)
True! He is handsome, of course.
Anyway, I have always had a big question about his future perfomances, (maybe because I do miss him!!) 😢
In late 2018, Patrick injured his knee in a skiing accident. As a result, in 2019, he had to withdraw from the Stars On Ice Japan Tour 2019 tour due to a knee injury. But then he did return to the rink in 2019, though he still had to postpone knee surgery because of his schedule from Rock The Rink Tour and 2019 Canadian Stars On Ice. After that, the remaining tours in 2020 were all canceled due to the pandemic. 😭
And now? It's been 2021 already and I still wonder if his knee injury has completely healed or if there is any chance that he would skate in the ice shows again.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He seems to be improving, though. I mean I can get why a person would want to quit. But no longer improving doesn’t seem to be a factor (which is what I associate “getting old” with).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
He seems to be improving, though. I mean I can get why a person would want to quit. But no longer improving doesn’t seem to be a factor (which is what I associate “getting old” with).
My views on retirement are very different from yours... I do not refer to skaters quitting or do not believe they retire because they are no longer improving. Patrick had just added a quad salchow the year before retiring and was working on another quad as well. His artistry kept on getting better and better... As a matter of fact, Elladj was getting better too. So were Weaver and Poje. For a figure skater, the wear and tear on the body in the mid twenties is often more than enough. 30 is amazing. Keegan has been jumping 3axels and quads since he was a teenager. Every time he lands one of these big jumps, there is an impact on his entire body. Knees, back, hips... you name it. And we all admire his deep knee bend... I mean Kurt Browning was saying that Shoma would have issues with his extreme landings. My wish for Keegan is to retire on his own terms and have an amazing professional career that will allow him to meet his professional demands with those of a new born child. I also hope he will qualify to the games and represent Canada proudly with skating to the level we know he can achieve. I will peacefully smile and be thankful whenever he announces his retirement. May you find this peace too.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
True! He is handsome, of course.
Anyway, I have always had a big question about his future perfomances, (maybe because I do miss him!!) 😢
In late 2018, Patrick injured his knee in a skiing accident. As a result, in 2019, he had to withdraw from the Stars On Ice Japan Tour 2019 tour due to a knee injury. But then he did return to the rink in 2019, though he still had to postpone knee surgery because of his schedule from Rock The Rink Tour and 2019 Canadian Stars On Ice. After that, the remaining tours in 2020 were all canceled due to the pandemic. 😭
And now? It's been 2021 already and I still wonder if his knee injury has completely healed or if there is any chance that he would skate in the ice shows again.
i have no idea... i have been following him on social media... he is a great role model and spokeperson for so many deep and social topics. I am so proud of him... All I can say is that he was supposed to be there at Montreal worlds 2020 with a special presentation... but it was canceled... was he schedule to skate or just make a speech? I don't know for sure.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My views on retirement is very different from yours... I do not refer to skaters quitting or do not believe they retire because they are no longer improving. Patrick had just added a quad salchow the year before retiring and was working on another quad as well. His artistry kept on getting better and better... As a matter of fact, Elladj was getting better too. So were Weaver and Poje. For a figure skater, the wear and tear on the body in the mid twenties is often more than enough. 30 is amazing. Keegan has been jumping 3axels and quads since he was a teenager. Every time he lands one of these big jumps, there is an impact on his entire body. Knees, back, hips... you name it. And we all admire his deep knee bend... I mean Kurt Browning was saying that Shoma would have issues with his extreme landings. My wish for Keegan is to retire on his own terms and have an amazing professional career that will allow him to meet his professional demands with those of a new born child. I also hope he will qualify to the games and represent Canada proudly with skating to the level we know he can achieve. I will peacefully smile and be thankful whenever he announces his retirement. May you find this peace too.
That is a good view on retirement. Maybe it is more the women who can’t keep up technically as they age. Now I’m probably being sexist towards my own gender. At any rate I hope he does what makes him happy. I have a stuffie for him that’s in Korea right now, having arrived there a couple of days too late to be thrown. I hope someday somehow I can get it to him.

I heard he hydrobladed to pick up his stuffies once. That would have been cool to see.

They should just call a hydroblade a “Keegan” now. Once you’ve seen his no others exist😂😂😂

ashleyming

On the Ice
i have no idea... i have been following him on social media... he is a great role model and spokeperson for so many deep and social topics. I am so proud of him... All I can say is that he was supposed to be there at Montreal worlds 2020 with a special presentation... but it was canceled... was he schedule to skate or just make a speech? I don't know for sure.
Patrick and Joannie were supposed to be the ambassadors at Montreal Worlds 2020 and they even skated together at the promotion event (They looked kinda cute together, lol). But then, the cancellation storm just swept everything out of the doors. 🤦‍♂️

mrrice

Record Breaker
Patrick and Joannie were supposed to be the ambassadors at Montreal Worlds 2020 and they even skated together at the promotion event (They looked kinda cute together, lol). But then, the cancellation storm just swept everything out of the doors. 🤦‍♂️

I would never have guessed that was Joannie. She looks so different without her makeup. I have seen Joannie at a show and I would never have guessed that was her. She looks like a Junior in that picture. Good genes I guess.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

1) i have skated at that rink before LOL :)
2) patrick also finds joannie cute... he said so in a funny fluff piece ;) haha

ashleyming

On the Ice
I would never have guessed that was Joanie. She looks so different without her makeup. I have seen Joannie at a show and I would never have guessed that was her. She looks like a Junior in that picture. Good genes I guess.
Yeah, Joannie is still fabulous as ever. I remember there was a scene from an interview in about 2009, 🤔 Patrick said that Joannie was so beautiful that all the guys liked her a lot. He said that like a proud younger brother. 😂

Last edited:

ashleyming

On the Ice
Nam has just finished his short program at Skate America 2021. Not perfect but a definite positive trajectory for him.
4S2T, 3A, 3F(step,hand)
TES 36.67, PCS 37.65, SP 74.32
Hope things would go better in the FP. :pray:

ashleyming

On the Ice
Nam has just finished his short program at Skate America 2021. Not perfect but a definite positive trajectory for him.
4S2T, 3A, 3F(step,hand)
TES 36.67, PCS 37.65, SP 74.32
Hope things would go better in the FP. :pray:
Nam said in the later interview that: “It’s probably been the roughest off-season I’ve gone through so far in my career. A lot of personal issues I’ve gone through that's been affecting my mental health." 😥
After WTT he dealt with injuries and didn’t train for 3 months. 🙄 Plus, he started seeing a mental health coach over a month ago and he is still not where he was before covid but luckily, in a better mental state than around Autumn Classic [which he withdrew from].

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Pardon the random question, does anyone know what skates Nam was wearing? He seems to have run the gamut of brands - Jacksons, Risports, Aura for a while... today's ones look like (atypically long and narrow) Edeas.
Anyway, today was pretty good overall, hope he keeps it up!

BearryBear

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Just now, he said that he is nearly done with competing. 🤷‍♂️
Here is a part of Nam's interview:
"This is gonna be my last season so I’d really like to make this process special by keeping it the same as I’ve always been in the past few years by enjoying the moment and enjoying every single second of this journey till I’m done.”

Do you have a link to the full interview?