2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It was only one competition and I thought the early talk was that W/M were looking good. Granted if Eric and Vanessa beat MTM at Skate Canada next week it might be harder and harder for W/M to make it to the olympics on body of work. I really like the Danadians. They are fresh. But I thought they were ranked about 8th or 9th but they barely beat the Spanish team which weren't top 10. So I have no idea where they rank in the scheme of things with other teams like US No. 3, Russia no. 3, China et al. at one point I think many thought they would challenge Gilles and Poirier but that doesn't look the case right now. On a side note is the see through panels for men the big thing I think Scott Moir and Eric Radford were the two bigger names of this trend and maybe Adam Rippon?

When I heard about Nam's mental state which he shared I have a lot of empathy. It is hard as there are only two spots for olympics. He hasn't gone to won He was Canada's big home at one point as former junior world champ, no. 5, had a chance at 2020 worlds to go before it was cancelled. Listening to the posters Keegan and Roman seem the early leads and that can be tough. I really hope Nam continues to progress - speed, power and adding a quad or two. He survived the growth I am just hoping he can end on a high note. I do miss the days when he was the little brother trying to catch p to big brothers Javier and Hanyu. It was endearing as they challenged him in exhibitions to do quads and he was the cute little skater in 2010 at the Vancouver olympics . I would love to see him skate his best and make a run for the olympic spot. He too could be a top six skater on a good day.

Weathergal

Medalist
I thought he was very lowballed at Skate America. You would think by his placements that he had a disaster, which neither program was. He wasn't squeaky clean, but it was absolutely a respectable skate. I thought his speed looked much improved, as well as his spins (he's still not Jason Brown, but few of the men are). I was also baffled.

I think Walsh and Michaud seriously hurt their chances of being chosen for the Olympic team. Skate Canada really seems to be backing Vanessa and Eric, who are improving by leaps and bounds as time goes on, so W/M were the underdogs. But they really underperformed at Skate America.

I LOVED FB/S's FD here. I've been kind of on the fence about it (I don't generally like voiceovers, and whoever called this one yoga retreat ASMR was not wrong). But it really came together for them here and was otherworldly and beautiful. I think they have staked their claim to the silver medal at Canadians. I get the feeling that Lajoie/Lagha are stagnant this season in terms of results and placements. I hope to be wrong, because I love them, but their outings thus far have been disappointing in the results.

I also thought Soucisse/Firus were lowballed here in the FD, which I thought was light and charming and fits them like a glove. Perhaps they just need to keep performing well to gain back some momentum?
I agree with you about Soucisse / Firus getting lowballed in the FD. I think it's the best they've skated in a while. I hope you're right about them being able to get their momentum back.

ashleyming

On the Ice
Nam's interview after his SP in Skate America. 🙄 Seems like he is nearly done with competitive path, at a quite young age though. At this stage, I just hope Nam could enjoy the rest of the Grand Prix Circuit and maybe, aim for the third National Title. Also, hope to see him in Beijing 2022 too.

ashleyming

On the Ice
Skate Canada has published the event reference book for Skate Canada International 2021. :biggrin:
https://skatecanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/SCI2021Program_REV.pdf
Patrick, Kaitlyn, Kaetlyn, Meagan and others will join the commentary panel of the events. All the excellent former skaters of Team Canada are coming back home in a new role. :clap: So excited to see our Chiddy, KO, Kaitlyn again in the SCI venue.
Fyi, here is the Streaming and In-Venue Commentators List of SCI 2021:
Ted Barton - English Host
Patrick Roch - French Host
Myrian Samson - French Commentator
Elladj Baldé - Art of Performance
Patrick Chan - Art of Skating
Meagan Duhamel - Pairs section commentator
Kaetlyn Osmond - Women section commentator
Kevin Reynolds - Men section commentator
Kaitlyn Weaver - Ice Dance section commentator

Quote Reply
Report Edit Delete

ashleyming

On the Ice
Oh dear, not sure how much of Kaitlyn’s commentary I can take after ACI.

I’ll be interested to see how Kaetlyn does as a commentator. Meagan was quite good in her previous forays, and Kevin I thought was decent at ACI.
Meagan and Kevin were good at 2021 ACI. Patrick did a good job at 2018 GPF, along with Scott Russell. Kaitlyn... well... I'm not sure about her.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Nam's interview after his SP in Skate America. 🙄 Seems like he is nearly done with competitive path, at a quite young age though. At this stage, I just hope Nam could enjoy the rest of the Grand Prix Circuit and maybe, aim for the third National Title. Also, hope to see him in Beijing 2022 too.

This only adds to why I’m rooting for Roman for the Olympics. With Nam stopping figure skating after this year, it would be nice to have a Canadian guy gain the much valued Experience derived from Olympics for future years of competitive skating. I thought Nam did ok at Skate America given his challenges. Hoping Roman, Keegan and Conrad luck at Skate Canada.

ashleyming

On the Ice
Skate Canada has announced new broadcasting team for the Skate Canada stream, includes: Elladj Baldé, Patrick Chan, Meagan Duhamel, Kaetlyn Osmond, Kevin Reynolds, and Kaitlyn Weaver, along with Ted Barton - the veteran commentator. :) Our champions are coming home in a new role, especially for KO. This would be the very first step of her journey as a commentator. Wish them all the best! :pray:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skate Canada has announced new broadcasting team for the Skate Canada stream, includes: Elladj Baldé, Patrick Chan, Meagan Duhamel, Kaetlyn Osmond, Kevin Reynolds, and Kaitlyn Weaver, along with Ted Barton - the veteran commentator. :) Our champions are coming home in a new role, especially for KO. This would be the very first step of her journey as a commentator. Wish them all the best! :pray:

Yeeeeeee!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m guessing if I’m watching on peacock, I can’t hear the commentary by them.
The website says this is a CBC stream, so I would doubt it. :) I just hope Peacock stays commentary free, although this is a great line up (well I’ve only heard Ted and Meagan commentate and I like both of them;) )

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Never underestimate Michaud's strength in the lifts. I like their close heights. That short at SA wasn't their best, but W/M nearly always peak later in the season, so I'm not that worried.
I like Evelyn and Trennt's close heights, too. But I was more scared than usual watching their lifts in both programs.

Still, difference in height isn't the only indication of good lifts. Kirsten and Michael have (more than?) a foot in height difference, and their lifts sometimes still scare me, even after watching them for years. And that reminds me, W/M's twists didn't look as bad to me as KT/M's usually do. (okay, I just checked. Kt/M's twist scores at Finlandia were lower than W/M/s here). I like Evelyn & Trennt, but I agree that it looked like they'd already given up the fight for the Olympic spot. Still, they could go-to-the-mattresses, work like crazy, and rally later in the season.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skate Canada has published the event reference book for Skate Canada International 2021. :biggrin:
https://skatecanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/SCI2021Program_REV.pdf
Patrick, Kaitlyn, Kaetlyn, Meagan and others will join the commentary panel of the events. All the excellent former skaters of Team Canada are coming back home in a new role. :clap: So excited to see our Chiddy, KO, Kaitlyn again in the SCI venue.
Fyi, here is the Streaming and In-Venue Commentators List of SCI 2021:
Ted Barton - English Host
Patrick Roch - French Host
Myrian Samson - French Commentator
Elladj Baldé - Art of Performance
Patrick Chan - Art of Skating
Meagan Duhamel - Pairs section commentator
Kaetlyn Osmond - Women section commentator
Kevin Reynolds - Men section commentator
Kaitlyn Weaver - Ice Dance section commentator

Quote Reply
Report Edit Delete

I love the inclusion of 'Art of Performance' and 'Art of Skating' commentators, especially that they're Elladj and Patrick. Just perfect. :love2:

I thought Meagan and Kevin were both very good commentators. Wish I could view the CBC coverage, but sometimes I can catch some after the event in my re-watching moments. I'll be really interested in hearing what Kaetlyn says, especially about the Russian girls.