2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 49 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

rain

Record Breaker
This year's 4CC will be from January 18–23, so those who go to the Games will probably skip this.
Yes, I would not recommend anyone heading to the Olympics go to 4CC. I think it can be a good competition to help decide a world team, but not the Olympic team.

Golden spin pairs results: James and Radford finish 1st in the FS to move up to 4th. MT/M finish 8th followed by W/M in 9th.

Detailed results
I would never have expected to be typing this even at this point last year, but I think James/Radford have to be considered the favourites headed into nationals. MTM have just imploded this season. I hope MTM can get back on track for nationals now with some solid months of training, but the fall has been a total bust.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Happy for Keegan, a job well done.
As for pairs how disappointing 4yrs and watching Canada top teams make errors that younger athletes are often criticized for.
I’ve said it before ‘why are they not giving others opportunity’ we may not have lots to chose from but they are training athletes. Adcock was given Canadian papers but not send them anywhere. Loriann and Matt I would think have another 4yrs in them.
Deana says she’s in it for the next 4yrs even given her age.
The younger Quebec team Camille and Luca I’d love to see them given something, these young pair girls are learning but could learn so much from a senior assignment
Nationals maybe the most exciting/disappointing event.
Will Trennt move on from Evelyn after nationals?
i agree with you globally... BUT i don't think the younger teams are ready. Thierry and Lori-Anne are ready to compete... Deanna and Maxime as well... I am not too sure about the others... what happened to Brasseur Daleman???

rain

Record Breaker
i agree with you globally... BUT i don't think the younger teams are ready. Thierry and Lori-Anne are ready to compete... Deanna and Maxime as well... I am not too sure about the others... what happened to Brasseur Daleman???
I too wondered about not seeing Brasseur/Daleman anywhere this season. I think Deanna/Maxime have good potential and I'd like to see them get some more assignments. I can't say I've been blown away by any of the younger teams over the last four years — at least none that have actually stuck it out together. The field was still looking pretty promising after Meghan and Eric retired following the Olympics. At that point there was still Julianne and Charlie who looked like rising stars, then Charlie and Luba. MTM were also on the rise and were a really steady leading team. A couple of seasons ago Walsh and Michaud were improving at a rapid rate and seemed able to deliver consistent technical content. Justine Brasseur was coming up with her old partner. Just, a lot of the pairs have fallen apart (some quite unexpectedly), or are currently actually regressing (also unexpectedly). You have to give it to James/Radford, they did come back at an opportune time to enter the field. I don't know that shoving seemingly unprepared young teams out onto the international senior stage is really going to help matters. And I don't know that anyone could have predicted what has happened to the Canadian pairs field over the last four years. We really need some teams to a) stick together and b) not get horribly injured so that they can progress.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I too wondered about not seeing Brasseur/Daleman anywhere this season. I think Deanna/Maxime have good potential and I'd like to see them get some more assignments. I can't say I've been blown away by any of the younger teams over the last four years — at least none that have actually stuck it out together. The field was still looking pretty promising after Meghan and Eric retired following the Olympics. At that point there was still Julianne and Charlie who looked like rising stars, then Charlie and Luba. MTM were also on the rise and were a really steady leading team. A couple of seasons ago Walsh and Michaud were improving at a rapid rate and seemed able to deliver consistent technical content. Justine Brasseur was coming up with her old partner. Just, a lot of the pairs have fallen apart (some quite unexpectedly), or are currently actually regressing (also unexpectedly). You have to give it to James/Radford, they did come back at an opportune time to enter the field. I don't know that shoving seemingly unprepared young teams out onto the international senior stage is really going to help matters. And I don't know that anyone could have predicted what has happened to the Canadian pairs field over the last four years. We really need some teams to a) stick together and b) not get horribly injured so that they can progress.
What is Gabby up to? It seems like she has been out of the spotlight for a while now.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
and camille and drew.. i miss them so much.. though they were not as strong technically... just so beautiful to watch though. you know... so many people complained about J/R's arrival onto the scene and potentially "stealing" a spot.. they are not stealing anything... at this point, i would say that nobody deserves that second pairs spot to the games... too bad deanna will not be eligible yet... i'd sent them before MTM

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
What is Gabby up to? It seems like she has been out of the spotlight for a while now.
she just won challenge. improving all the time. still not quite back to her best level though but getting closer and closer PS the Daleman we were talking about though is her brother, who skates in pairs

mrrice

Record Breaker
she just won challenge. improving all the time. still not quite back to her best level though but getting closer and closer PS the Daleman we were talking about though is her brother, who skates in pairs
:drama: Ohh. I didn't know that Gabby had a brother in skating. That's Cool.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Congrats to Keegan. I hope he get more stamina he could potentially score 20 more poiints. The prs what a mess :(. hope MT M & Nam regain their form now!!!!

rain

Record Breaker
and camille and drew.. i miss them so much.. though they were not as strong technically... just so beautiful to watch though. you know... so many people complained about J/R's arrival onto the scene and potentially "stealing" a spot.. they are not stealing anything... at this point, i would say that nobody deserves that second pairs spot to the games... too bad deanna will not be eligible yet... i'd sent them before MTM
Ah yes, I had forgotten that Camille and Drew were still around. Sigh, a team that never lived up to their potential. James/Radford certainly have not stolen anyone's spot. They're the only half-decent looking team at the moment. When they came back I didn't think there was any chance they'd even challenge MTM. But alas. I'd definitely be sending Deanna/Maxime to worlds.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ok, I just had a look at Gabby's LP from Warsaw. She has definitely improved however, I am not a fan of her music. Maybe it was the sound system in Warsaw but, the music is grating. Oh well, maybe they can fix it by Nationals.

ashleyming

On the Ice
Would be excited to see Gabby, Maddie and other girls again at the Nats. Anyway, I just wish Kaiya could make it to the Nats too. It's a pity that she suffered a flukey, but significant, lower left leg injury during training and had to withdraw from the Challenge.

Balloon

On the Ice
I can see they not but ready, but with lack of competitions and no international senior experience I think getting them out to be recognized and just competing would benefit them and Canada. From the way the teams are skating I would think others maybe a threat or possibly push MTM WM JR to skate to their ability.
But it’s a pipe dream obviously they are holding back the others.
But Brasseur/Daleman are done skating, she needed a surgery this summer and he didn’t continue, he was a beautiful skater but I think the Daleman skating dream was Gabbys and he was never as dedicated.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I can see they not but ready, but with lack of competitions and no international senior experience I think getting them out to be recognized and just competing would benefit them and Canada. From the way the teams are skating I would think others maybe a threat or possibly push MTM WM JR to skate to their ability.
But it’s a pipe dream obviously they are holding back the others.
But Brasseur/Daleman are done skating, she needed a surgery this summer and he didn’t continue, he was a beautiful skater but I think the Daleman skating dream was Gabbys and he was never as dedicated.
waaaaa... i didn't know about them being done... how come this didn't make any news on this forum? Is Justine coming back? She really seemed driven?

Sabrina

Record Breaker

Vanessa JAMES / Eric RADFORD Free Skate Golden Spin Zagreb 2021​

Keegan Messing (CAN) CS Golden Spin of Zagreb 2021 SP​

Last edited:

Sackie

Medalist
Sp glad that Messing won here and that J/R won the free. But it seems like we only have one top skater/team in each discipline, and as we have seen in this and other events they can falter. Messing should have easily won medals in his GP events and J/R would have won here except for the error in the short. Which has me wondering what will happen at worlds this year. Could it be that CAN will drop back to 1 man. 1 women. 1 Pair and 2 Dance teams for next year. I like Maddie and think she is the one for CAN but when you look at the PCS some skaters get for doing less, and the # of ladies doing 3As and 4s - Maddie will be hard pressed to make the top 12 even with 2 good skates.