2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

sheetz

Record Breaker
Has Jimmy said anything about continuing after this season? Yaro has clearly stated he is aiming for 2026 so if Jimmy is doubtful I could see that as one reason why they would choose to give the SA spot to Yaro.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has Jimmy said anything about continuing after this season? Yaro has clearly stated he is aiming for 2026 so if Jimmy is doubtful I could see that as one reason why they would choose to give the SA spot to Yaro.
I don’t think he’s said anything one way or another. I sure hope not. He’s only 25 and his career is kind of just taking off.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yaro had a badly damaged boot and couldn't continue the SP. He landed his first quad but then fell out of it, and the rest of his jumps were bad; at that point he went to the referee and indicated the boot. He didn't appear to be injured, but obviously that first jump caused a major disintegration of the boot.

HB Spud

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Yaro had a badly damaged boot and couldn't continue the SP. He landed his first quad but then fell out of it, and the rest of his jumps were bad; at that point he went to the referee and indicated the boot. He didn't appear to be injured, but obviously that first jump caused a major disintegration of the boot.
Exactly…was great opening jump combo and cleanly rotated/landed then it’s as if the landing leg boot just imploded under stress…am glad it appears no injury but totally a bummer!!

Tavi...

Record Breaker

What happened is a shame, but I’m not so sure the 4F had anything to do with it. His first two jumping passes were poorly executed for sure, but it looked to me like that was just nerves. The reason I say that is bc (1) he had problems with the same two jumping passes at Cranberry Cup; (2) before and after the first two jumping passes he was in complete control and skated normally (ie it was only the jumps that were problematic); (3) you land jumps on your right foot, not your left, so the force of landing the 4F would be unlikely to damage his left boot; and (4) the real problem only manifested when he took off for the 3A (which is an edge jump taking off on the left foot). He clearly couldn’t get a good takeoff, landed two footed, and could no longer skate at all.

Hopefully he’ll do better at Skate America.

Dogo

On the Ice
What happened is a shame, but I’m not so sure the 4F had anything to do with it. His first two jumping passes were poorly executed for sure, but it looked to me like that was just nerves. The reason I say that is bc (1) he had problems with the same two jumping passes at Cranberry Cup; (2) before and after the first two jumping passes he was in complete control and skated normally (ie it was only the jumps that were problematic); (3) you land jumps on your right foot, not your left, so the force of landing the 4F would be unlikely to damage his left boot; and (4) the real problem only manifested when he took off for the 3A (which is an edge jump taking off on the left foot). He clearly couldn’t get a good takeoff, landed two footed, and could no longer skate at all.

Hopefully he’ll do better at Skate America.
These are really good observations, thanks! I also thought a bit of nerves threw him off after that failed quad. The boot situation didn't help with his confidence.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
These are really good observations, thanks! I also thought a bit of nerves threw him off after that failed quad. The boot situation didn't help with his confidence.

Of course I don’t know for sure but that’s just how it seemed to me. It was really awful luck and I’m guessing he’s pretty devastated. I don’t know if he is assigned to another senior b this season but at least he has another opportunity at Skate America.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Of course I don’t know for sure but that’s just how it seemed to me. It was really awful luck and I’m guessing he’s pretty devastated. I don’t know if he is assigned to another senior b this season but at least he has another opportunity at Skate America.
I'm so sad for Yaro! I wished him good luck and he was so excited...next minute I see he's withdrawn.

But I'm relieved that he doesn't seem to be injured that would be awful. I wish he could go to Neblehorn...or are they only allowed one spot per country? I thought maybe he could be named as a non-going for the spot competitor.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I'm so sad for Yaro! I wished him good luck and he was so excited...next minute I see he's withdrawn.

But I'm relieved that he doesn't seem to be injured that would be awful. I wish he could go to Neblehorn...or are they only allowed one spot per country? I thought maybe he could be named as a non-going gor the spot competitor.

Because it’s the Olympic qualifying event we were only allowed to send one man this year. He may be assigned to one of the later challenger events where entries haven’t been announced yet, such as Golden Spin.

mrrice

Record Breaker
It looks like he's in the quad axel battle.
I hope he doesn't get a serious injury trying for the Quad Axel. If he has all the other quads in his arsenal, I think he'll be in great shape. Nathan is the #1 skater in the World and he doesn't have a Quad Axel. I hope he's careful.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope he doesn't get a serious injury trying for the Quad Axel. If he has all the other quads in his arsenal, I think he'll be in great shape. Nathan is the #1 skater in the World and he doesn't have a quad. I hope he's careful.

Mr Rice, I know this was a slip of the keyboard and that you meant Nathan doesn't have a quad axel.

But how I wish as a Jason fan that one could be World Champ without quads. :laugh:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope he doesn't get a serious injury trying for the Quad Axel. If he has all the other quads in his arsenal, I think he'll be in great shape. Nathan is the #1 skater in the World and he doesn't have a Quad Axel. I hope he's careful.
As a founding member of the GS RahRah Team for Ilia... I still have to say this.

He's landed all these different sort of quads in practices, and yes, I've seen a 4A in harness... but that's a long way from delivering under competition pressure.

I'd say that so far he's been miss more than hit under the gun on his quad attempts. I'm confident that will change, but until it does, he still has something to prove.

Edit: Until he does, he's no threat to the USA Top Guns. If he does suddenly start landing them, then all bets are off.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jimmy was the strongest of the US men, landing all of his jumps cleanly. I think he's clearly trying to "work" Swan Lake, even if it's not in his modern music preferences. :) His TES was still pretty far ahead of his PCS. He is in second overall.

The surprise 3rd place finisher is Eric Sjoberg. Also a clean skate, and he's showing more polish as well.

Less successful among the US men were Camden (fell on his first two jumps and one spin seemed to cover half the rink, he's still not getting it together:cry:) and Maxim Naumov, who I thought was committed and passionate and had great spins but his first jump was invalidated entirely for some reason? I know he popped it, but I don't know why he would get no credit:scratch2: