2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Jimmy was the strongest of the US men, landing all of his jumps cleanly. I think he's clearly trying to "work" Swan Lake, even if it's not in his modern music preferences. :) His TES was still pretty far ahead of his PCS. He is in second overall.

The surprise 3rd place finisher is Eric Sjoberg. Also a clean skate, and he's showing more polish as well.

Less successful among the US men were Camden (fell on his first two jumps and one spin seemed to cover half the rink, he's still not getting it together:cry:) and Maxim Naumov, who I thought was committed and passionate and had great spins but his first jump was invalidated entirely for some reason? I know he popped it, but I don't know why he would get no credit:scratch2:

Because men have to do a solo Triple or Quad and Maxim only did a double.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jimmy was the strongest of the US men, landing all of his jumps cleanly. I think he's clearly trying to "work" Swan Lake, even if it's not in his modern music preferences. :) His TES was still pretty far ahead of his PCS. He is in second overall.

The surprise 3rd place finisher is Eric Sjoberg. Also a clean skate, and he's showing more polish as well.

Less successful among the US men were Camden (fell on his first two jumps and one spin seemed to cover half the rink, he's still not getting it together:cry:) and Maxim Naumov, who I thought was committed and passionate and had great spins but his first jump was invalidated entirely for some reason? I know he popped it, but I don't know why he would get no credit:scratch2:
I thought he had a two footed landing. Will have to watch again. I believe he is the spirit of an evil swan. I prefer his modern music preferences myself. But whatever it takes for him to be taken seriously

Dogo

On the Ice
I'm just catching up on the Men's Junior Grand Prix at Krasnoyarsk and let me just say that Lucas Broussard is such a beautiful skater to watch. It would be amazing if he follows in the steps of Jason Brown. He feels the music and has tons of potential to hit harder combos while still being musical and lyrical. It's also interesting to note that both skaters' last name (Brown and Broussard) start with a "B". Maybe it's a good sign for great things to come.

I'm also excited to see the trio of Ilia, Will, and Lucas as a potential newcomer group that can keep the tradition of leading the U.S. men to a bright future.

Last edited:

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I hope Ilia brings it at his 2nd GP. If he’s clean in his SP and FP, well then if there is a JGPF this year, he’ll get in.
Ilia has loads of potential. He has improved a ton since his first JGP season. If he skates consistently, he can be a big threat this season and in the years to come.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
As a founding member of the GS RahRah Team for Ilia... I still have to say this.

He's landed all these different sort of quads in practices, and yes, I've seen a 4A in harness... but that's a long way from delivering under competition pressure.

I'd say that so far he's been miss more than hit under the gun on his quad attempts. I'm confident that will change, but until it does, he still has something to prove.

Edit: Until he does, he's no threat to the USA Top Guns. If he does suddenly start landing them, then all bets are off.

Agree that it's early days for Ilia. (y)

That said, his Senior SP score today at a club competition was 96.13.
4Lz, 4T+3T, 3A all with good GOE. Level 4 spins. Level 3 step sequence.

ETA (on Sep 18):
Also FWIW, today's FS score: 169.40 162.99.
Rotated 4T, 4S, 4F.
ETA: Weird that protocol originally was published with 4F -- but then it was changed to 3F.​

Last edited:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Ilia is within two points or so in PCS of the US men who completed at latest comp. His tech is way higher. Yes ice is slippery as are nerves but I do think he is leading contender (at this early point in time) for the alternate spot for the Olympics or to get a spot if the top three (Nathan, Jason and Vincent) underperform (unlikely).

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So he went for an easier tech content this time around.
Yes a 4T and 4S, both with slight negative GOE. Everything else looked like reasonable, but not spectacular, positive GOE.

He also had a fall deduction, but none of the elements looked like they took a heavy hit, so it must have been a random fall somewhere in the program.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... He also had a fall deduction, but none of the elements looked like they took a heavy hit, so it must have been a random fall somewhere in the program.

Yesterday the self-deprecating Ilia posted an Instastory with a humorous caption accompanying what presumably was a day-of video snippet from his FS showing his random fall.

(The Instastory is about to expire.)

It was nice to see that his healthy ambition does not stop him from poking fun at himself.

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yes a 4T and 4S, both with slight negative GOE. Everything else looked like reasonable, but not spectacular, positive GOE.

He also had a fall deduction, but none of the elements looked like they took a heavy hit, so it must have been a random fall somewhere in the program.
The GOE seemed to be inconsistent by the judging panel. Such as his SP triple axel, a judge gave him a -1, but others gave him +4s. Or his 2 quads in his FS being in-between -3 and +2. I wonder why. But then again, GOE and PCS can be judged pretty crazy at times!