2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

Dogo

On the Ice
It just occurred to me that Skate America will have Vincent attempting 4 quads (maybe 5), Shoma attempting at least 4 quads (maybe 5), and Nathan jumping an "X" number of quads. Now, knowing a little bit on Nathan's preparation from 4 years of solid and consistent seasons, he usually goes for 3 quads (maybe 4). So I just hope that he jumps whatever he feels it is comfortable doing at this particular *early* stage. That is regardless of how fancy that BV may look on either Shoma or Vincent's planned program sheet. Because it's likely that, just by going on Shoma's previous stats/recent trends, he can likely end up bombing jumps and producing a half-baked program.

Now Vincent should also build on this opportunity very smartly. He should take away the "I want to defeat Nathan" narrative (at this point, he should ignore any stupid comparisons that are brought up by interviewers bc every time he replies to them he gets even more anxious and bombs programs down the season) and just focus on himself, meaning building from Nebelhorn and have a cleaner 4 quad program. His goal on this first GP should not be focused on thinking about medals, or less alone getting Gold, but on doing his best version of himself. If he does that, and all goes well, he can solidify a strong Silver position against Shoma and keep building on this momentum.

I hope Nathan keeps demonstrating that he has a strong head on his shoulders and doesn't get swayed into adding unnecessary jumps for now. I want to see his amazingly clean 5 quads with tons of artistry in the Olympics, so he has to hold-on for now and remain injury free.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jacob Sanchez is third after the SP in Baltic Cup JGP, with a perfect rendition of his signature "Footloose". A PB of 70.92 in his first international comp.

Watch until the KnC to see one happy skater (and he didn't know how he placed, he was just happy with his score(y)

Such joy and presence on the ice at only 14 years old. No, he doesn't have the big jumps (yet), but you can't teach what he does have. :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Jacob Sanchez is third after the SP in Baltic Cup JGP, with a perfect rendition of his signature "Footloose". A PB of 70.92 in his first international comp.

Watch until the KnC to see one happy skater (and he didn't know how he placed, he was just happy with his score(y)

Such joy and presence on the ice at only 14 years old. No, he doesn't have the big jumps (yet), but you can't teach what he does have. :)

I was just about to post on this. I was surprised to see that William did not score well though, I have not seen his program. I have never heard of Jacob but, I was happy to see him placing 3rd in the SP. Wishing both men the best in FP tomorrow. Quick Edit. I just watched Jacob's SP to footloose. He sure is talented and he has beautiful lines. I hope his Free Program will allow him to show his lyrical side. With his long lines and beautiful posture, I think he could pull off a nice lyrical program. He scored very well considering he doesn't have a 3A.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Well, that was just charming.

It was fun, energetic, and age appropriate music - I'm always depressed when young skaters choose heavy soul-sucking music. Well delivered elements choreographed to fit the music. This is a cleverly designed program.

First time seeing him, and I'm a fan.

readernick

Medalist
I was surprised to see that William did not score well though

William had a rough skate. Beautiful 3A but a fall on the 3F. He has such huge jumps and, honestly, he is too fast across the ice. Those jumps are hard to control because they are so high and cover so much distance. The speed and complete lack of polish lends him a very exciting quality on the ice but you always feel that he is on the verge of imploding ;). He needs time to develop more strength/ technique to control those jumps. ( And honestly maybe he needs to skate a bit slower?)

Jakob was wonderful. He is adorable ( as anyone who watches domestic competitions knows). I'm glad he did well! He is one of my favorite US Juniors.

I am a bit sad that my personal favorite junior man Joe Klein doesn't have a JGP this year. Hopefully, he will be more consistent next year or towards the end of the season.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
William had a rough skate. Beautiful 3A but a fall on the 3F. He has such huge jumps and, honestly, he is too fast across the ice. Those jumps are hard to control because they are so high and cover so much distance. The speed and complete lack of polish lends him a very exciting quality on the ice but you always feel that he is on the verge of imploding ;). He needs time to develop more strength/ technique to control those jumps. ( And honestly maybe he needs to skate a bit slower?)

Jakub was wonderful. He is adorable ( as anyone who watches domestic competitions knows). I'm glad he did well! He is one of my favorite US Juniors.

I am a bit sad that my personal favorite junior man Joe Klein doesn't have a JGP this year. Hopefully, he will be more consistent next year or towards the end of the season.
William reminds me a bit of Alexei Krasnozhon. He was also fast and a bit wild but, he was great when he skated clean.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I was just about to post on this. I was surprised to see that William did not score well though, I have not seen his program. I have never heard of Jacob but, I was happy to see him placing 3rd in the SP. Wishing both men the best in FP tomorrow. Quick Edit. I just watched Jacob's SP to footloose. He sure is talented and he has beautiful lines. I hope his Free Program will allow him to show his lyrical side. With his long lines and beautiful posture, I think he could pull off a nice lyrical program. He scored very well considering he doesn't have a 3A.
Annis unfortunately did not keep his short program clean, which was a terrible pity, because it is so good. I am hoping to see fortune reversal with his first stage, and a stable free this time. Then it will be like full impression.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Will seems to be suffering from Carolina Kostner syndrome meaning he skates too fast and needs to learn to slow down a bit and be more in control. His coaches might also need to make his jumps smaller so they aren't so out of control.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The SASS! I die!