2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Good for Dmitriev. I was wondering what happened to him after that 4A attempt. But really sad to hear that Annis left for ID. He was a memorable performer.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... really sad to hear that Annis left for ID. He was a memorable performer.

But Will Annis is not leaving singles! At least I see no evidence to assume that he is doing so.

Will is in the start order for tomorrow's Junior Men SP at Championship Series in Allen, Texas.
Plus I think it is very possible that Will registered in singles for a second Championship Series event (maximum of two per skater).
If(?) so, it would be Leesburg or Norwood. (He is not on the list for Fort Wayne, and Spokane is the same week as Alpharetta. SCOB in Norwood happens to be his home club.)

[Championship Series has only two events for ice dance. The first one was in Blaine, Minnesota, during the first week of October.
Given that Will had two JGP assignments in singles and that Poland was the week right before Blaine, it makes sense that he did not go to Blaine for ice dance. Alpharetta is not until mid-November.

I hope that I did not inadvertently contribute to a misunderstanding by saying that Will's bio needs to be updated.
What I meant is that his bio as of now does not reflect that *in addition* to singles, he plans to compete in ice dance in the 2021-22 season.
His bio as of now makes it sound as if ice dance were only a thing of the past (2016-2018) for him.
I have gone back and added a clarification to my previous post.]

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
But Will Annis is not leaving singles! At least I see no evidence to assume that he is doing so.

Will is in the start order for tomorrow's Junior Men SP at Championship Series in Allen, Texas.
Plus I think it is very possible that Will registered in singles for a second Championship Series event (maximum of two per skater).
If(?) so, it would be Leesburg or Norwood. (He is not on the list for Fort Wayne, and Spokane is the same week as Alpharetta. SCOB in Norwood happens to be his home club.)

[Championship Series has only two events for ice dance. The first one was in Blaine, Minnesota, during the first week of October.
Given that Will had two JGP assignments in singles and that Poland was the week right before Blaine, it makes sense that he did not go to Blaine for ice dance. Alpharetta is not until mid-November.

I hope that I did not inadvertently contribute to a misunderstanding by saying that Will's bio needs to be updated.
What I meant is that his bio as of now does not reflect that *in addition* to singles, he plans to compete in ice dance in the 2021-22 season.
His bio as of now makes it sound as if ice dance were only a thing of the past (2016-2018) for him.]
Well, so long as he doesn’t add pairs, good luck to him 🙀 and if he adds pairs, like, even more luck?

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd rather that Will make a decision on which discipline he wants to focus on because he won't be able to do both at once for long we see it all the time eventually a skater has to pick which one or the other by the time they get to Seniors and i think his future lies in singles competition.

readernick

Medalist
I'd rather that Will make a decision on which discipline he wants to focus on because he won't be able to do both at once for long we see it all the time eventually a skater has to pick which one or the other by the time they get to Seniors and i think his future lies in singles competition.
Likely, but he really needs to learn some refinement. ( Specifically, his arms movement needs to be refined). I think ice dance training will help him to become a better all around skater.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Likely, but he really needs to learn some refinement. ( Specifically, his arms movement needs to be refined). I think ice dance training will help him to become a better all around skater.
Will also needs to make his jumps smaller he skates with such power but his jumps are often out of control so he's going to need to hold back a little but he's young.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I never meant to imply Will Annis was *leaving* singles with my original question when I saw his name on the list:eek:

I did assume, if it was the same Will Annis, that he was competing in two disciplines. He would not be the first US man to do that. Charlie White and Nate Bartholomay also skated singles I believe, and Jordan Moeller has competed in adult ice dance while skating senior men’s.

Ice dance skills could never ever hurt. :)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for that link, @el henry. I notice that Vincent is assigned to Warsaw Cup immediately following NHK, a week turnaround on another continent. This seems odd; going from a GP event to a challenger on such short turnaround. Does anyone have any background on that?

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Thank you for that link, @el henry. I notice that Vincent is assigned to Warsaw Cup immediately following NHK, a week turnaround on another continent. This seems odd; going from a GP event to a challenger on such short turnaround. Does anyone have any background on that?
Looking for ranking points, so that he’s in the final group and has a better chance for a medal? That would be my guess.

I don’t think he got ranking points from Worlds last year, so he needs to make them up somewhere.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looking for ranking points, so that he’s in the final group and has a better chance for a medal? That would be my guess.

I don’t think he got ranking points from Worlds last year, so he needs to make them up somewhere.
That was my guess, too, but didn't he max out by winning his earlier two competitions - Nebelhorn and the other one (I forget)?

I'm fuzzy on the rules, so I might not be correct in my assumptions. Wait... the other one isn't listed on this link, so maybe it didn't count.

You're probably right, it's a chase for ranking.

Andrea82

Medalist
That was my guess, too, but didn't he max out by winning his earlier two competitions - Nebelhorn and the other one (I forget)?

I'm fuzzy on the rules, so I might not be correct in my assumptions. Wait... the other one isn't listed on this link, so maybe it didn't count.

You're probably right, it's a chase for ranking.

Not maxed out yet because Cranberry Cup is a Senior B. So a win is equal to 250 points. A win in a Challenger Series event is 300 points. So he would net gain 50 points.

sheetz

Record Breaker
It's not worth it for Vincent to compete there for ranking points since he'd only gain 50 even if he were to win. In addition he has a chance to advance to the GPF and this competition would take away from his preparation for that if he were to qualify.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
For me, what the Wikipedia page says is not confirmation.
Literally any random fan could have edited the Wikipedia profile -- based on just an assumption that the Artur Dmitriev who is on the Alpharetta list is the same person as the Artur Dmitriev who skated for Russia.
If I wanted to, I could log into Wikipedia right now and delete all the stuff about Oct 2021 and competing for the U.S., and about Championship Series and Alpharetta.
(But don't worry -- I am not really going to delete or change anything.)

At this point, I do believe that it is likely that the "two" Arturs are in fact the same person.
But one random fan's revision of the Wikipedia page is not definitive at all, and I would not cite it as anything meaningful.
It makes sense though. Artur has not competed internationally in two years, which makes him eligible for a country switch.

Last edited: