2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

SaDa

On the Ice
I think it will be difficult for Nathan, Mentally, to continue if he doesn't win the OGM. He's climbed the mountain twice, and he's been at this his entire life. With his degree in hand, I think he might choose to move on with his life. As a Yale Graduate, lots of doors will be open for him.

I look at that differently too. It's the opposite, IMO. If he wins gold, he's more likely to move on from skating. I mean, what more can motivate him to continue skating when he'll have pretty much won everything there is to win? There's so much potential outside of the skating world for him to go explore. On the other hand, if he doesn't win gold, he'll still have something worth coming back for. I mean, he could ultimately come back either way if he misses skating enough...but I just think he'll have extra motivation if there's actually still something left for him to try to achieve.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I look at that differently too. It's the opposite, IMO. If he wins gold, he's more likely to move on from skating. I mean, what more can motivate him to continue skating when he'll have pretty much won everything there is to win? There's so much potential outside of the skating world for him to go explore. On the other hand, if he doesn't win gold, he'll still have something worth coming back for. I mean, he could ultimately come back either way if he misses skating enough...but I just think he'll have extra motivation if there's actually still something left for him to try to achieve.
An interesting point. If things play out for Nathan, as the 3 time and defending World Champion, he will win the OGM and complete everything there is to complete in skating. He has worked so hard for this moment and he seems ready to take on the world.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
An interesting point. If things play out the for Nathan, as the 3 time and defending World Champion, he will win the OGM and complete everything there is to complete in skating. He has worked so hard for this moment and he seems ready to take on the world.
There should be a name for that. Like the Grand Slam in tennis.

arewhyaen

On the Ice
If they’re going by BOW: 1. Vincent has gold at Cranberry, Gold at Nebelhorn, Gold at Skate America, Silver at NHK. 2. Jason has Gold at Finlandia, Silver at Skate Canada 3. Nathan Chen, current World Champion, Bronze at Skate America, Gold at Skate Canada. Both Vincent and Nathan going to GPF. Barring injury (Goddess forbid), I can’t see a scenario where there is room for another man to break in here.

I agree with this. This isnt a situation like the russian women where there are 2-3 pretty heavy favorites, and about 6 other skaters who could sneak in and reasonably pull an upset and "steal" a berth. I think going into the season, Jason Brown and Vincent Zhou were the favorites but no where near a lock. But now with how the season is panning out, Nathan, Vincent and Jason both have the strongest body of work, scoring potential, and have had the strongest season. Potential upsets like Tomoki, Jimmy Ma, Camden, Torgashev, just have not stepped up this season.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with this. This isnt a situation like the russian women where there are 2-3 pretty heavy favorites, and about 6 other skaters who could sneak in and reasonably pull an upset and "steal" a berth. I think going into the season, Jason Brown and Vincent Zhou were the favorites but no where near a lock. But now with how the season is panning out, Nathan, Vincent and Jason both have the strongest body of work, scoring potential, and have had the strongest season. Potential upsets like Tomoki, Jimmy Ma, Camden, Torgashev, just have not stepped up this season.
I’d argue that Jimmy Ma has certainly stepped up *with what he’s had.*. Silver at Cranberry, Silver at US Classic, 5th at Skate America. He was entered in the Asian Open and the whole team withdrew. Unfortunately he didn’t have a second GP assignment. Based on how he’s skated so far, I wouldn’t put him on the Olympic team but I’d certainly send him to 4CCs.

Weathergal

Medalist
I’d argue that Jimmy Ma has certainly stepped up *with what he’s had.*. Silver at Cranberry, Silver at US Classic, 5th at Skate America. He was entered in the Asian Open and the whole team withdrew. Unfortunately he didn’t have a second GP assignment. Based on how he’s skated so far, I wouldn’t put him on the Olympic team but I’d certainly send him to 4CCs.
Jimmy's also entered in the Warsaw Cup.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason confirms that he was off ice for six weeks with an avulsion fracture of his foot

Also about the quad:
"It's something that I know is in me and I am not going to back off," he said. "I'm working my butt off on and off ice—I am doing everything that I can to give myself the best chance to land it in competition."

And about the Olys:
"I'm doing me. Whatever happens, happens," he said. "There's something very refreshing about that. My eyes are on Beijing—I would love to compete in the team event in addition to singles, but I have to focus my energy on pushing myself to be the best that I can be. I'm continuing to work on my consistency, and I believe that I am mentally all there to give it my best."

mrrice

Record Breaker
Andrew T. withdrew from the Alpharetta qualifier.

He doesn't have a bye, this means no Nats.

What is going on?😭
Yikes....Is he planning to retire? I haven't seen an injury report.

Another question. Was Ilia in Warsaw? I just looked at the Men's final and he's not on it anywhere.

Last edited:

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yikes....Is he planning to retire? I haven't seen an injury report.

Another question. Was Ilia in Warsaw? I just looked at the Men's final and he's not on it anywhere.
He wasn't competing in Warsaw. He did Cup of Austria, and didn't get minimums for Worlds there. I guess he would have to try to earn them at 4CC or the Olympics if he would possibly go to Worlds (whichever one he competes at, probably 4CC).

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Andrew T. withdrew from the Alpharetta qualifier.

He doesn't have a bye, this means no Nats.

What is going on?😭
I REALLY have been looking forward to seeing his Imagine Dragon program. He had great choices of music by them.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I just watched Jason's SP from France. Struggle on the 3A but the rest was fantastic. I don't know if it's the costume but, he is as thin as a rake. He is clearly prepping to make the Olympic Team.