2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 48 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Pssst

Can Vincent medal at the Olympics?

Anyone have all the calculations handy?

So the people who can stop him: Nathan, Yuzuru, Shoma, Yuma

Where does he stack on this list if they all go clean?

Dawn825

Medalist
I was so sure Vincent was gonna medal at the last Worlds...He's certainly capable of being on the Olympic podium, but he has to keep it together. In theory it would likely come down to him and Shoma, but this is men's skating so the most likely thing is that something unlikely will happen.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Pssst

Can Vincent medal at the Olympics?

Anyone have all the calculations handy?

So the people who can stop him: Nathan, Yuzuru, Shoma, Yuma

Where does he stack on this list if they all go clean?
If they all go clean? Last because of his URs. They're holding him back from breaking 100 in the short, and even if he skates lights-out like at SkAm in the free, he's pretty much capped at 197. However, if Vincent finishes fifth at the Olympics with the top five all going clean, it's going to be an event even better than the men's SP.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
Do you guys know when they will announce the skaters chosen for the team event?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It's very hard to tell between him, Uno and Kagiyama, if not impossible. But imo they all have a chance to end on the podium.

readernick

Medalist
Someone in the ladies thread said only a few days before the actual event.
This is actually the most interesting decision for me. Despite those who disagree ( they have a right to disagree with the criteria), the US Olympics team was pretty clear prior to Nationals with the exception of one pair and dance team where selection could have gone either way since BOW was basically tied. However, the team selection might really be influenced by National results. If Nathan wants to skate both segments, easy pick. But, he's not going to want to do this. Vincent isn't reliable in either program. Jason will do well in the SP but might be out quaded in the LP. What will the US do?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is actually the most interesting decision for me. Despite those who disagree ( they have a right to disagree with the criteria), the US Olympics team was pretty clear prior to Nationals with the exception of one pair and dance team where selection could have gone either way since BOW was basically tied. However, the team selection might really be influenced by National results. If Nathan wants to skate both segments, easy pick. But, he's not going to want to do this. Vincent isn't reliable in either program. Jason will do well in the SP but might be out quaded in the LP. What will the US do?
Nathan will not skate both segments. He will skate the SP. The long is too close to the men’s event.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
Jason scores in the free are higher than Vincent's for the last two competitions. Jason appears to start to peak while it appears Vincent peaked at Skate America after a good start of the season and now seems to be declining under the difficulty of the free. Jason fell on his quad at Nats, but (if I remember correctly) scored 11 points higher than Vincent whose UR were not called. I think Nathan for the short and Jason for the free would be the most sensible decision, but they could still go with Vincent for the highest reward risk possibility. At first, I, as a fan of Jason, preferred he doesn't do team event knowing the SP in most likely Nathan's, but now that I think about it, I think Jason can handle three programs in a row with a day in between. He has good endurance. Vincent, on the other hand, it may be wiser for him to focus on his individual comp and preserve that energy especially since his jump content is much difficult than Jason's and Jason is more experienced for the other aspects like skating quality. I still think they may well decide to leave Jason out.

sheetz

Record Breaker
While Vincent is capable of attempting 5 quads in the Team Event FS, he isn't obligated to do so. He can go for 4, 3, 2, 1, or none at all depending on the team standings after the SP. And that makes him a powerful player in the team event, IMO. If it's a tight race against Japan I feel Vincent would place more pressure on the Japanese man than Jason would. The Japanese man could, for instance, water down his program significantly and still feel comfortable about coming out ahead of Jason, while that wouldn't be the case against Vincent. This assumes Japan skates before the US in the FS, of course.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, Alexa said fhey were leaving on the 27th. But Vincent’s post would make sense as the USFS does not want the entire team on the same plane.

safe travels and good health to everyone:pray:

Country
Norway
Wow, Alexa said fhey were leaving on the 27th. But Vincent’s post would make sense as the USFS does not want the entire team on the same plane.

safe travels and good health to everyone:pray:
I was wondering if he is referring to the model plane he is holding, but it looks like he is in an airport or something, and people are wishing him a good travel in the comments, and it would be odd saying he is "officially off to Beijing" if he wasn´t. But I was also a bit surprised by the early travel.

And yes, perhaps they are going on different planes and travel dates :)