2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 52 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vincent captioned the IG:

"Hi friends, it would mean a lot to me if you could spare a few minutes and watch to the end. Thank you so much. I appreciate you all."

1) I hope every poster on GS (here's looking at you @karne) who reacted with such glee when Vincent fell short -- as every athlete, all our favorites, have done and will do again -- will take a few minutes to reflect on the power of their extremely negative remarks about Vincent. He has been the subject of so much derision. It breaks my heart.

2) Vincent rises above it. :points::rock::rock:❤️❤️❤️ Can't wait to see him at Worlds! :dance3:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hard to watch that but as he requested did so to the end. Sad he couldn't actually receive the medal but as he said he's an olympic silver medalist and he will remain so forever.
As it turned out none of them received their medals of course.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Maybe this has previously been posted. If not, here's a video of Nathan (on CBS Morning Show) explaining how making a decision about his skating going forward will happen organically. He's taking one thing at a time right now. I don't think Nathan will go to Worlds, but I could be wrong.

Also, kudos to Nathan and to his coaching team regarding his excellent strategy for the Olympics. I wonder when he decided to go back to former programs that he didn't have the chance to perform at Worlds 2020 due to pandemic-related cancellation? Perhaps he had always planned to use the new programs in the first half of the season, and then switch to La Boheme and Rocket Man for U.S. Nat'ls and the Olympics? Whatever the chronology or however the strategy developed, I'm happy this choice worked out so well for Nathan.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ilia Malinin just skated a very smart, squeaky clean short program at Challenge Cup to earn his SP minimums.

84+ score for 3Z-3T, 3F, 3A. Nothing "extra" here.

Obviously, his team had one objective here, and it's been met.

Edit: @journalist101 has provided a link to this SP in Ilia's Fan Fest. Everything looks sharp and easy.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
After Malinin achieved the SP minimum today at Challenge Cup, the asterisk next to his name promptly was removed
from the USFS assignments page listings for Worlds. :)

Congratulations to Taira Shinohara for Junior Men's bronze 🥉 at Challenge Cup. He placed third in both SP and FS.
Taira's SP score was higher than his best USFS score. In his FS, he tried triple axel for the first time in competition, and it was called as "q" (with fall).
Small thing, but given that it was Taira's first international, I wish for his sake that he had a chance to wear a Team USA jacket 🇺🇸 -- the familiar one with red sleeves. Maybe USFS just ran out of his size? :unsure: (Kanon Smith had one at Bavarian Open.)
I hope that Taira receives a Team USA jacket soon. (I think his jacket maybe was from USFS Championship Series? Or maybe it was an old one from USFS Development Camp?)

ETA (on Feb 26):

Congratulations to Ilia for winning Senior Men at Challenge Cup today.
Also to Aleksander Fegan, who won the silver for Advanced Novice Boys.

Not to make a mountain out of a molehill, but on the Team USA jacket front:
Fegan did not have one for today's FS (I did not see his SP). Nor did Elyce Lin-Gracey and Katie Shen for today's Junior Women SP. They all appeared to be wearing National Development Camp jackets for their international debuts.
To be fair: It occurs to me that maybe Kanon received her Team USA jacket many months ago. She was a JGP alternate early in the season.​

ETA (on May 19):
Update: Taira has received his Team USA jacket, per his Instastory a day or two ago.
It's not the one with the red sleeves. IIRC, Taira's seemed to be mostly a solid color? Kind of a medium blue.​

ETA (on May 22):
In Soho Lee's Instastory yesterday, she and Luann Stein were wearing their new Team USA jackets. Solid color (at least on the front) dark-ish blue (almost navy), except for the red-white-and-blue USFS "patch" logo on one chest and small "Team USA" white lettering underneath. Their jackets have full-length center zipper + hood.
(A hood was not apparent to me on Taira's jacket, but maybe it was just the angle of his photo. Also maybe I have misremembered the color of Taira's, or maybe it was the lighting. )​

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Last edited:

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
So Junior Worlds is happening. Having it after Worlds is an interesting dynamic as two podium contenders for JW are competing at Worlds and they have similar scoring potential. I’m looking forward to the Malinin vs Kiura match-up at Worlds. Although I think his biggest competitor is actually Sato at JW, it’ll be a good sign if Malinin bests Kiura before meeting up again in Estonia. Good luck to him!

If he does well in both events (and I expect him to), Malinin will be set up quite nicely for a GP debut next season.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So Junior Worlds is happening. Having it after Worlds is an interesting dynamic as two podium contenders for JW are competing at Worlds and they have similar scoring potential. I’m looking forward to the Malinin vs Kiura match-up at Worlds. Although I think his biggest competitor is actually Sato at JW, it’ll be a good sign if Malinin bests Kiura before meeting up again in Estonia. Good luck to him!

If he does well in both events (and I expect him to), Malinin will be set up quite nicely for a GP debut next season.
I wonder if he has a successful Worlds if he'll actually attend junor worlds? Same for any skater?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Ilia can do both JW and Worlds, but he can get World Standing points for only one of them, whichever is the highest. A JW win is worth 500 points, 2nd is 450, 3rd 405. Points for finishing 8th-12th at Worlds: 574, 517, 465, 418, 377. 500 points would bring Ilia into the top 24 on World Standings; finishing top 12 at Worlds would guarantee him two spots at the GP.

So I hope he finishes top 12 at Worlds, and then medals at JW.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I wonder if he has a successful Worlds if he'll actually attend junor worlds? Same for any skater?
I think he’ll withdraw only if he podiums. If he brings his Nationals skates at Worlds, then he really does have a shot. His original goal was to medal at one event and win the other. This would have been outstanding had JW been held before Worlds, but being held after has different connotations. There’s really no need for a Worlds medalist to be at Junior Worlds. He’ll already have the clout for next season at that point.

But anything less than a podium, I think he goes. Top 5 (even top 10) at Worlds and JW medalist is great, too.

Edit: @chuckm. Thank you! I didn’t know this. I thought you get points for both. If I’m understanding you correctly, if Malinin is 9th at Worlds - which is doable - he won’t even “need” JW because even if he wins, he would earn more WS points for placing 9th and would have already earned a spot for GP next season. Hmm. But that doesn’t change my opinion, though. It’s the reputation he’s going for, not just the WS points.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wouldn't the US men need a high placement at Junior Worlds for their "spots" for the next year?

(I know not everyone cares, I do, so sue me. :biggrin: )

So if Ilia skipped JW, it would be up to Liam, Lucas and Kai for three spots. Which they very well could, but they could not. (then again, how will spots be allocated? )

I would love to see Kai again, but I think Ilia is a young man on a mission with competition fever, and I think he'll do both. :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One thing I don't like is Ilia's SP music. Why on earth did he pick THAT Michael Jackson piece? Ugh!