2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating

Sjs5572

Final Flight
I think out of all the main contenders (Bradie, Karen, Mariah, and Amber) and the dark horses (Audrey Shin, Lindsay Thorngren, and Gracie(?)), there isn't any space for an outsider to breakthrough. I could be wrong though. I'd keep my eye on the dark horses and see if they get assigned a GP or JGP.
I would put Alysa in the main contender category. She's a two time National champion and her 3A is back in practice.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly, I feel like even considering Gracie a "wildcard" does more harm than good at this point. Anyone who thinks she has an outside chance of making the US podium is bound to end up disappointed. Even if she were to hit all her jumps and spins, the speed and transitions are no longer there and she's fallen way behind the top American women on those aspects. She shouldn't be burdened by her fans' expectations; she should just go out there and enjoy the process and the performances.
If there is something I have learned, it is “do not count Gracie out.” Everyone said she wouldn’t make it out of Regionals. She did, but did not make the tech minimums for Nationals. She missed them by quite a bit if I recall correctly. So then everyone was like “she won’t make top 4 at Sectionals and even if she does she won’t make the tech minimums.” She did and she did. Gracie is not going to Nationals to come in 12th. That’s not her reason for going and she’s not going to be happy with that.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Unknown by us or unknown by normal people?

Well said

I knew who Bradie was pre-Broadmoor Open, she was not an unknown to me. But she sure was not someone i thought was going to the Olympics.

Unless there is some country swapping most of us have some idea of most of the ladies in the USA.. We are not going to have a "Who?" moment, with anyone more of a "I did not see that coming for her!"

I could see some skaters surprising us. I still love Starr Andrews and could see her having a Bradie like season - not likely but possible.

I am sure the season will be crazy... trying to figure out what unexpected thing to happen to expect to happen.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If there is something I have learned, it is “do not count Gracie out.” Everyone said she wouldn’t make it out of Regionals. She did, but did not make the tech minimums for Nationals. She missed them by quite a bit if I recall correctly. So then everyone was like “she won’t make top 4 at Sectionals and even if she does she won’t make the tech minimums.” She did and she did. Gracie is not going to Nationals to come in 12th. That’s not her reason for going and she’s not going to be happy with that.
I love Gracie but she has given us no reason to think she is a contender for the US Olympic team.

Amei

Record Breaker
I heard that she mentioned she had it back in an Instagram Live a month or so ago. There's no video, so it's not proven, but her team doesn't really seem to put out many practice videos, so I'm not too worried.

Well as always having a jump in practice is important, nailing it in competition is a whole different deal.

I would have Mariah Bell in the mix too.

Love Mariah's skating but she doesn't typically do well in high pressure situations

macy

Record Breaker
I heard that she mentioned she had it back in an Instagram Live a month or so ago. There's no video, so it's not proven, but her team doesn't really seem to put out many practice videos, so I'm not too worried.
me neither, just curious to know where the news came from. she has no reason to lie about it.

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have a feeling Audrey Shin is going to make the team. I'm thinking Bradie, Alysa, and Audrey with Amber as first alternate.
Agreed! Ever since Skate America, she's been on my list of those to look for as dark horses for the Olympic team and to be one of the main US ladies this next quad. Hopefully, she's working on fixing her under rotations and becoming more consistent.