2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Speaking of Bradie, she was on the morning news in Nashville today talking about nationals being in Nashville. Based on this video it seems like she isn't injured. Maybe the USFS asked her to pull out to prepare for another competition instead? If that's the case, I wonder why Audrey pulled out too.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would not read too much into skaters pulling out of Peggy Fleming. As much as I love the comp, the requirements are different from a regular competitive skate, and competitive skates may need to be adjusted.

Word is that Jason is doing a version of Sinnerman modified for Peggy Fleming. I know I'm a fangirl, but that's a tough one to beat in a comp that stresses artistry.;)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
A video with sound of Lindsey Thorngren's FS to the Queen's Gambit soundtrack at Colonial Open has been posted. She did three triple combinations: 3Lz+3Lo, 3F+3T, and 3Lz+2T+2Lo. The 2nd and 3rd combinations were in the second half
That soundtrack was #1 on my list of new music from the past year I’d like to see.

Some weird voiceover placement/choices. But now beloved character actor Bill Camp has been used in a skating program.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Speaking of Bradie, she was on the morning news in Nashville today talking about nationals being in Nashville. Based on this video it seems like she isn't injured. Maybe the USFS asked her to pull out to prepare for another competition instead? If that's the case, I wonder why Audrey pulled out too.
:shrug: This is interesting. Was she on a satellite feed, or was she in the studio?

beepboop

On the Ice
Re: TSL talking about Alysa and speculating on an injury - they put out their most recent episode on Saturday, and Alysa's team put out the new video of her 3A and 4L the next day. No one had seen or heard anything from her since Nationals. She doesn't have an active public presence on social media (so I've heard - she did once but it was shut down more than a year ago? I think?). They were speculating as they had been on all the ladies, because no one had seen or heard anything.

I've watched most episodes of TSL for about a year, so maybe the attitude towards Alysa you are describing predates me, but I do not recall any cattiness towards her. In any event, from what we saw at Nationals and now the training videos, it seems pretty darn clear to me that at this point, she is most likely to wind up as the US's #1 lady this coming season. I also think the only way she is not going to the Olympics is if she becomes injured.

I guess my impression is mostly based on how they've responded to questions about her in the comments (they haven't talked about her in videos much since Nats). Of all the hundreds of comments they get, they always seem to pick the ones that frame her in the most negative light, and generally downplay her successes.

For example, someone asked, "any more detail on how bad she's looking" and they responded, "Hip injury and zealous father." (Is the "zealous father" narrative they keep pushing even a real thing or is it just grounded in the stereotype of the Asian tiger parent?)

More egregiously, someone left a comment saying that Mariah has no shot of making the Olympic team because she "doesn't check any woke boxes," and that the team will be Alysa, Karen, and Amber because they have the "correct narrative." They responded, "That would mean all three of those very inconsistent skaters would have to deliver!" I mean even ignoring the fact that Alysa is probably one of the most consistent US ladies at this point, it's pretty gross to me that they chose to entertain (rather than shut down, or even just ignore!) the repugnant suggestion that the Olympic team would be selected based on who checks "woke boxes." For what? Just to get their catty "inconsistent" jab in?

Anyway, pardon the rant. I recognize that TSL's opinion of skaters matters zero in the grand scheme of things. But it's been something that has bothered me for a while so thank you for the opportunity to vent hahah

mrrice

Record Breaker
That soundtrack was #1 on my list of new music from the past year I’d like to see.

Some weird voiceover placement/choices. But now beloved character actor Bill Camp has been used in a skating program.
I just watched the video. How old is Lindsay? She certainly lands the jumps but, she is lacking in the speed and edging department. I don't why I haven't heard of her?? Strike that! I just went back to Nationals and I see that she was top 6 last year. Another skater to keep my eye on.

Amei

Record Breaker
I guess my impression is mostly based on how they've responded to questions about her in the comments (they haven't talked about her in videos much since Nats). Of all the hundreds of comments they get, they always seem to pick the ones that frame her in the most negative light, and generally downplay her successes.

For example, someone asked, "any more detail on how bad she's looking" and they responded, "Hip injury and zealous father." (Is the "zealous father" narrative they keep pushing even a real thing or is it just grounded in the stereotype of the Asian tiger parent?)

Ehh, I think its probably got some merit to it, a combination of the lack of conventionality of her upbringing and her dad is involved in her day-to-day training, here is an SI article that was done in May 2019 and it goes into it and her father's involvement in her training.

Here is a comment about her training from her father, he flat out calls himself "coach Arthur"

Arthur developed into a full-fledged skating dad, creating a checklist to keep Alysa on track when she practiced alone. “I have the Coach Arthur rule: Everything five times,” he says. “Like, double Axel, five good double Axels. If you fall, that doesn’t count.

readernick

Medalist
[
I just watched the video. How old is Lindsay? She certainly lands the jumps but, she is lacking in the speed and edging department. I don't why I haven't heard of her?? Strike that! I just went back to Nationals and I see that she was top 6 last year. Another skater to keep my eye on.
I believe she is 15? I agree with your assessment. She has a great deal of talent but really lacks speed and edges. Her performance quality also leaves a lot to be desired. But, she is young and has time to grow. That program is pretty terrible, though. Why use those voiceovers? That's on the choreographer, not Lindsay.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker

It doesn't unseat the weirdest voiceover use of them all by Radionova with Titanic

beepboop

On the Ice
Ehh, I think its probably got some merit to it, a combination of the lack of conventionality of her upbringing and her dad is involved in her day-to-day training, here is an SI article that was done in May 2019 and it goes into it and her father's involvement in her training.

Here is a comment about her training from her father, he flat out calls himself "coach Arthur"
Super interesting article, thanks for sharing! There was someone on Reddit a while back who claimed to know them/their rink and said Arthur was very hands off, but maybe he is pretty intense after all.

katymay

Medalist
The jumps are very nice. The step Seq is very nice. The spins are fine. And if they could just work on her ability to command the ice and inhabit her music she could be a contender.

MiraiFan

Final Flight

More egregiously, someone left a comment saying that Mariah has no shot of making the Olympic team because she "doesn't check any woke boxes," and that the team will be Alysa, Karen, and Amber because they have the "correct narrative." They responded, "That would mean all three of those very inconsistent skaters would have to deliver!" I mean even ignoring the fact that Alysa is probably one of the most consistent US ladies at this point, it's pretty gross to me that they chose to entertain (rather than shut down, or even just ignore!) the repugnant suggestion that the Olympic team would be selected based on who checks "woke boxes." For what? Just to get their catty "inconsistent" jab in?

Anyway, pardon the rant. I recognize that TSL's opinion of skaters matters zero in the grand scheme of things. But it's been something that has bothered me for a while so thank you for the opportunity to vent hahah
I hate TSL and refuse to listen to them about anything.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wish we knew the truth. Everyone is putting on their game face and we really have no idea what is the truth. Are GRacie and Ms. Liu really back in great shape and dong their big jumps? I think both of them need to do more than do well at Natioanls. They need to have a strong GP especially with a body of work being key. I hope Gracie's signs of hope are real because I was getting of tired sometimes of what I felt just clinging on hoping she will regain her past glory. Hopefully she get satisfaction. I know there are a lot of Gracie fans. I am not ure about reusing the program that also had such a negative connotation but it is what it is. What a nice dramatic battle Amber Glenn, Karen Chen, Bradie Tennel, Alysa Liu, Mariah Bell, Gracie Gold. They just need Ashley or Mirai for a comeback to add more drama.

AlysaLiuStan

#Liunatic
On the Ice
Country
Italy
Alysa just landed a quad and triple axel so obviously she's in good shape doing her big jumps.:rolleyes: Alysa Liu will be going to the Olympics no matter what.

And it's not like the other US women pose a threat to her on the GP. Alysa is the only one who has a chance at making it to the final.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
I wish we knew the truth. Everyone is putting on their game face and we really have no idea what is the truth. Are GRacie and Ms. Liu really back in great shape and dong their big jumps? I think both of them need to do more than do well at Natioanls. They need to have a strong GP especially with a body of work being key. I hope Gracie's signs of hope are real because I was getting of tired sometimes of what I felt just clinging on hoping she will regain her past glory. Hopefully she get satisfaction. I know there are a lot of Gracie fans. I am not ure about reusing the program that also had such a negative connotation but it is what it is. What a nice dramatic battle Amber Glenn, Karen Chen, Bradie Tennel, Alysa Liu, Mariah Bell, Gracie Gold. They just need Ashley or Mirai for a comeback to add more drama.
Gracie might not get any Grand Prix assignments. More likely we'll see her at Senior B's if she's competition ready in the fall.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Gracie might not get any Grand Prix assignments. More likely we'll see her at Senior B's if she's competition ready in the fall.
She really MUST go to B's and summer comps and do well in order to get that third SkAm spot. I didn't/don't think it's possible, but we'll have to wait and see. If Gracie bombs these little comps this summer, no chance of SkAm and no chance of Olympics at all. Do you really think if Gracie pulls it together at Nats that the judges would give OlySeasonNatsInflation for HER?!?!? This summer is critical, so it's a good sign that DaveL is saying she's looking very good already. If she was still slogging along going nowhere I'd write her off already. But maybe she has something more in the tank, so to speak.