2021-22 Russian Ice Dance | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Russian Ice Dance

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Is there any info whether SinKats are OK now and appear at NHK trophy?

Edit: Seems they are in Japan:

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Really? No comments on the rise of Davis/Smolkin to become ether #2 Russian team? I really think this is the most interesting story of the season in a any discipline.
What can be said that won't attract anger, derision and calls of cheating? It's pretty clear what most people think of Diana and Gleb.

For what it's worth I quite enjoy them, are they the greatest dance couple in history? No. Are they completely talentless and an embarrassment? No.

Although here's a question...let's say Diana and Gleb are aware of being overscored, what exactly would you have them do? Refuse their scores? Not accept their medals? Give up skating? It sounds like they're detractors would love to see just that. But no team would ever do that, nor should they be expected to. You got a problem with their scores? Roast the judges, curse the Russian Figure Skating Fed, don't take it out on two hard working kids who are doing the best they can.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
You got a problem with their scores? Roast the judges, curse the Russian Figure Skating Fed, don't take it out on two hard working kids who are doing the best they can.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I've seen several nasty posts on social media worded in a way which sounds like Diana and Gleb are to blame for the scores they've received. They can only skate their best on the ice and then wait for their marks, like any other skater. They are not in control of what scores the judges give them, nor can they help the fact the Diana's mother is a prominent figure in the skating world.

I hope they don't allow the comments to affect them and are able to continue skating well.

lurkerghost1

On the Ice
What can be said that won't attract anger, derision and calls of cheating? It's pretty clear what most people think of Diana and Gleb.

For what it's worth I quite enjoy them, are they the greatest dance couple in history? No. Are they completely talentless and an embarrassment? No.

Although here's a question...let's say Diana and Gleb are aware of being overscored, what exactly would you have them do? Refuse their scores? Not accept their medals? Give up skating? It sounds like they're detractors would love to see just that. But no team would ever do that, nor should they be expected to. You got a problem with their scores? Roast the judges, curse the Russian Figure Skating Fed, don't take it out on two hard working kids who are doing the best they can.
The question is not if they are the best in the world. The question is are they better than Stepanova/Bukin. Some people say S/B are slower and uninspired this year while D/S have improved a lot. Some people say it’s only politics. That’s why I think it’s the most interesting story because everyone can view it through their own bias and see different reasons.

More importantly, the relevant question is which of the three of Stepanova/Bukin, Davis/Smolkin, and Tarasova/Morozov deserve the last spot in the team competition. Its likely that Kolyada will skate both programs and two of the women will be in the team along with Mishina/Galliamov and Sinitsina/Katsalapov. But who gets the last spot? Assuming Stepanova/Bukin are out of favor if not out of the Olympics entirely, if it’s between Tarasova/Morozov and Davis/Smolkin you have to wonder which one Eteri will lobby for.

Artemisa

Final Flight
Really? No comments on the rise of Davis/Smolkin to become ether #2 Russian team? I really think this is the most interesting story of the season in a any discipline.

Why they are number 2? Because they got more 15 points than there last GP. The same way that the japonese pair got more 10 points than the week before in the GP...

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The question is not if they are the best in the world. The question is are they better than Stepanova/Bukin. Some people say S/B are slower and uninspired this year while D/S have improved a lot. Some people say it’s only politics. That’s why I think it’s the most interesting story because everyone can view it through their own bias and see different reasons.

More importantly, the relevant question is which of the three of Stepanova/Bukin, Davis/Smolkin, and Tarasova/Morozov deserve the last spot in the team competition. Its likely that Kolyada will skate both programs and two of the women will be in the team along with Mishina/Galliamov and Sinitsina/Katsalapov. But who gets the last spot? Assuming Stepanova/Bukin are out of favor if not out of the Olympics entirely, if it’s between Tarasova/Morozov and Davis/Smolkin you have to wonder which one Eteri will lobby for what Skoptkova/Aleshin have to
Let's also see what Skoptkova/Aleshin have to say when they compete this weekend. Comments I've seen show them already fired up about being potentially overtaken.

NaVi

Medalist
It would be unbelievably stupid to put Davis/Smolkin in the Team Event. Because the team event is first, it would be a gigantic media distraction for her women's skaters. Just imagine Russia loses the Team Gold by a couple points that can be traced to D/S. The media uproar could be just like at Sochi between that team event and the women's event for Lipnitskaya.

I like D/S, but I really don't like how Eteri's attention has been spread way too thin this season. Trusova going to America to cover for Eteri wanting to watch her daughter in Boston was a big red flag to me that she's making a lot of not so good decisions.

lurkerghost1

On the Ice
It would be unbelievably stupid to put Davis/Smolkin in the Team Event. Because the team event is first, it would be a gigantic media distraction for her women's skaters. Just imagine Russia loses the Team Gold by a couple points that can be traced to D/S. The media uproar could be just like at Sochi between that team event and the women's event for Lipnitskaya.

I like D/S, but I really don't like how Eteri's attention has been spread way too thin this season. Trusova going to America to cover for Eteri wanting to watch her daughter in Boston was a big red flag to me that she's making a lot of not so good decisions.
There is no way Russia loses the team event at this point. Besides putting D/S into the free instead of S/B will make such a little difference. The teams advancing to the free are most likely Russia, USA, Japan, Canada, and either Italy or Georgia because China isn't doing well in women or dance. So if S/K skate both programs then yes it could be 10 points for Russia in the free, but if it's S/B they'd get 8 points behind USA and Canada, 7 if Italy makes the free skate as G/F are ahead of S/B after making GPF. D/S in instead of S/B would be 8/7 points too, they'll be ahead of Japan and Georgia but not Italy.
So D/S instead of S/B is probably an even switch and is 2-3 points behind a team with only S/K.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I will comment on Davis/Smolkin negatively when and if they push either khavronina/chirisano or kaganovskaya/Angelopol out of competition. I like both of those far better than Davis/Smolkin. If RF wants to put D/S as fresh and promising debutant contender into Olympics, let them. But if they suppress these two junior teams… I wouldn’t like that.

Kittosuni

Medalist
No way that Davis/Smolkin is Russia number 2 now just based on their scores at Warsaw cup. I'm not even sure if they are solid number 3. If Z/G can comeback at nationals I think no. 3 spot is still theirs

One thing that is working with D/S is getting the key points and level consistently which Stepanova/Bukin and Z/G have always been inconsistent. Those 2 veteran teams might be getting the PCS and GOE love but if D/S continue to be consistent then it is not hard to comprehend if D/S overtake them especially Z/G. Even Skopcova/Aleshin looks technically stronger than those 2 veteran teams recently. Heck even Khurda/Bazin looks more promising although they are inconsistent.

With S/K potentially retiring while B/S and Z/G being stagnant, this is the best time for the younger teams to make a push.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I will comment on Davis/Smolkin negatively when and if they push either khavronina/chirisano or kaganovskaya/Angelopol out of competition. I like both of those far better than Davis/Smolkin. If RF wants to put D/S as fresh and promising debutant contender into Olympics, let them. But if they suppress these two junior teams… I wouldn’t like that.
Angelopol has some nepotistic connections (he is the nephew of Oleg Ovsyannikov who is now the deputy head of the Moscow Fed) but that's nothing compared to Eteri's pull and probably won't stop D/S from trampling all over them. Khavronina/Cirisano as far as I am aware are not related to anyone of note, so they stand even less chance unless talent counts for something.