2021-22 Russian Ice Dance | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Russian Ice Dance

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Angelopol has some nepotistic connections (he is the nephew of Oleg Ovsyannikov who is now the deputy head of the Moscow Fed) but that's nothing compared to Eteri's pull and probably won't stop D/S from trampling all over them. Khavronina/Cirisano as far as I am aware are not related to anyone of note, so they stand even less chance unless talent counts for something.
Kh/C also have to move to seniors earlier, so they will be starting at a disadvantage with D/S sooner. We will likely be seeing the beginnings of this story next year.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
List of the preliminary entries for the russian narionals added to the first page. I'll copy it here as well:

21-26 December 2021, St. Petersburg
Info
Results
Entries:
Viktoria Sinitsina / Nikita Katsalapov
Aleksandra Stepanova / Ivan Bukin
Tiffani Zagorski / Jonathan Guereiro
Anastasia Skoptcova / Kirill Aleshin
Sofia Shevchenko / Igor Eremenko
Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva / Egor Bazin
Annabelle Morozova / Andrei Bagin
Elizaveta Shanaeva / Devid Naryzhhnyi
Diana Davis / Gleb Smolkin
Angelina Lazareva / Maksim Prokofiev
Vlada Pavlenia / Aleksandr Aleksanian
Elizaveta Pasechnik / Dmitry Blinov
Ksenia Ermakova / Vladisla Panteleev
Ekaterina Mironova / Evgeniy Ustenko
Ekaterina Khrabrykh / MIron Suslov
Subs:
Sofia Kartashova / Ilya Karpov
Elizaveta Kirillova / Mark Chegodaev
Olga Voronina / Aleksei Ivanov
Arina Ushakova / Maksim Nekrasov

Here is the whole list:

IMG_8054.png

Last edited:

lurkerghost1

On the Ice
List of the preliminary entries for the russian narionals added to the first page. I'll copy it here as well:

21-26 December 2021, St. Petersburg
Info
Results
Entries:
Viktoria Sinitsina / Nikita Katsalapov
Aleksandra Stepanova / Ivan Bukin
Tiffani Zagorski / Jonathan Guereiro
Anastasia Skoptcova / Kirill Aleshin
Sofia Shevchenko / Igor Eremenko
Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva / Egor Bazin
Annabelle Morozova / Andrei Bagin
Elizaveta Shanaeva / Devid Naryzhhnyi
Diana Davis / Gleb Smolkin
Angelina Lazareva / Maksim Prokofiev
Vlada Pavlenia / Aleksandr Aleksanian
Elizaveta Pasechnik / Dmitry Blinov
Ksenia Ermakova / Vladisla Panteleev
Ekaterina Mironova / Evgeniy Ustenko
Ekaterina Khrabrykh / MIron Suslov
Subs:
Sofia Kartashova / Ilya Karpov
Elizaveta Kirillova / Mark Chegodaev
Olga Voronina / Aleksei Ivanov
Arina Ushakova / Maksim Nekrasov

Here is the whole list:

IMG_8054.png
Do you know anything about the rumors Shevchenko retired?? If so this is really sad, without politics she and Skoptsova and Khudaiberdieva would be the next three top ice dance teams instead of Nepotism 1 and 2. But ice dance is nothing without politics tbh, I guess most people start ice dance when they’re too young to understand that so they stick with it.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Do you know anything about the rumors Shevchenko retired?? If so this is really sad, without politics she and Skoptsova and Khudaiberdieva would be the next three top ice dance teams instead of Nepotism 1 and 2. But ice dance is nothing without politics tbh, I guess most people start ice dance when they’re too young to understand that so they stick with it.
I don't know anything about that but we can congratulate to Sofia on her 20th birthday!

lurkerghost1

On the Ice
Very interesting...Shevchenko/Eremenko out and Ushakova/Nekrasov replacing them even though they’re only 4th subs.

Sofia this season protested the inclusion of Davis/Smolkin and Morozov/Bagin on the Grand Prix over her and Eremenko. Understandably so, because she was higher ranked both in ISU world standing, in season’s best, and higher ranking at last Russian nationals. If she really did retire I can’t blame her, she joins the list of victims of politics

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Very interesting...Shevchenko/Eremenko out and Ushakova/Nekrasov replacing them even though they’re only 4th subs.

Sofia this season protested the inclusion of Davis/Smolkin and Morozov/Bagin on the Grand Prix over her and Eremenko. Understandably so, because she was higher ranked both in ISU world standing, in season’s best, and higher ranking at last Russian nationals. If she really did retire I can’t blame her, she joins the list of victims of politics
Sofia/Egor got their spot, which somehow was ommitted in your post. Also, at the beginning of the season they even were not at the test skates because of "medical reasons", so it was not thyat surprising they were not in the initial batch of names.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Sofia/Egor got their spot, which somehow was ommitted in your post. Also, at the beginning of the season they even were not at the test skates because of "medical reasons", so it was not thyat surprising they were not in the initial batch of names.
Although you’ve omitted from your post that they only got that spot once someone else WD from NHK, whereas Annabelle got 2 spots immediately and Diana got 1 too despite the fact that Sofia and Igor technically earned 2 given their previous success and placement at RusNats. If medical reasons was why they got overlooked, then I doubt Igor would have been so vocal about their disappointment.

The nepotism politics in Russian ID this season is clearly happening, and I don’t think that be denied at all.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Although you’ve omitted from your post that they only got that spot once someone else WD from NHK, whereas Annabelle got 2 spots immediately and Diana got 1 too despite the fact that Sofia and Igor technically earned 2 given their previous success and placement at RusNats. If medical reasons was why they got overlooked, then I doubt Igor would have been so vocal about their disappointment.

The nepotism politics in Russian ID this season is clearly happening, and I don’t think that be denied at all.
Though Diana/Gleb got their invitation from canadian skating union, who was an organizer and considering the state of relations between them and rusfed I really doubt it was Rusfed or Eteri herself who came to canadian skating union and ordered them "you have to invite Diana or else" :rofl:

Kittosuni

Medalist

I dont doubt that there is politicking happening behind the scene in a national level and to be fair i do think that it happens to all countries not just Russia but Im curious how it is supposed to be done internationally.

It is easy to speculate how Russia could influence judges from ex-soviet countries but I'm puzzled with how even the North Americans seem to be on board with the Davis/Smolkin partnership. Obviously judges can't really do nothing that D/S are hitting their elements and key points but they have the power to pull them in PCS.

I think going to Cranberry as their first competition was a calculated move. They know they most likely end up 2/3rd which is good for their reputation and then kept skating consistently which solidify that optics. whether we admit it or not reputation plays a big role in ice dance and this is the area where this team is milking it big time.

Sorry but the Morozov/Bagin aint happening. International judges won't take them seriously until the can hit their levels consistently.

Kittosuni

Medalist
Hopefully Zahorski will be able to skate at nationals since she is still not training 100%.

That 3rd spot is still theirs but they cannot afford to make errors. I think their veteran PCS advantage is pretty much wiped out at this point

Kittosuni

Medalist
I hope Shevchenko/Eremenko recover, as I liked them in juniors and was disappointed by their unsuccessful outing this year in GP.
I honestly think that being in the shadows of Stepanova/Bukin did hurt them a bit.

I think continuing to the next quad is good for them since the venterans are probably retiring but Im not sure staying with their current group is a wise decision.

Their younger teammate seems to be the next in line and the inclusion of Morozov to their team will probably mean that M/B will be more prioritize.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I honestly think that being in the shadows of Stepanova/Bukin did hurt them a bit.

I think continuing to the next quad is good for them since the venterans are probably retiring but Im not sure staying with their current group is a wise decision.

Their younger teammate seems to be the next in line and the inclusion of Morozov to their team will probably mean that M/B will be more prioritize.
Perhaps they could try the route that Kuts/Mikhailov took in 2018 and move to Sokolniki? Rubleva and Shefer are ex-students of Svinin and Zhuk with a kind of similar style to them, but less jam-packed with teams (mainly Tyutyunina/Shustitskiy and the Goncharovs). I think the move would have turned out well for K/M in the long run if Mikhailov hadn't gone off to become a coach at Plush's.

Interesting to note that K/M, S/E and Shpilevaya/Smirnov were all direct competitors in juniors at the time. S/E became the sole survivors of this trio, only to enter another awkward sandwich in seniors between Step/Buk and Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy...

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Perhaps they could try the route that Kuts/Mikhailov took in 2018 and move to Sokolniki? Rubleva and Shefer are ex-students of Svinin and Zhuk with a kind of similar style to them, but less jam-packed with teams (mainly Tyutyunina/Shustitskiy and the Goncharovs). I think the move would have turned out well for K/M in the long run if Mikhailov hadn't gone off to become a coach at Plush's.

Interesting to note that K/M, S/E and Shpilevaya/Smirnov were all direct competitors in juniors at the time. S/E became the sole survivors of this trio, only to enter another awkward sandwich in seniors between Step/Buk and Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy...
It wasn't up to Mikhailov, Eva didn't want to skate any longer.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Oh really? I thought it was the other way round, since after they split Eva tried out with someone and relocated to the US for a short while.
That's what was said. Mikhailov actually seems kind of wistful about hid dance career. But I can easily understand a dancer deciding they have no future in Russia.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Former ice dancer Dmitry Soloviev was attacked in Moscow this night and suffered a serious head injury :mad: