2021 Cranberry Cup Int'l - Senior Pairs FS | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2021 Cranberry Cup Int'l - Senior Pairs FS

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm getting frustrated with Jessica's jumping problems which seem to be getting worse instead of better.
Be fair. Jessica and Brian both have a problem with the sbs jumps. They also need to tweak issues on their throws (they've admitted to having to struggle with variant throw techniques they are trying to meld). On the jumps, they have not been as frank about what's happening there. But everyone needs to stop blaming Jess alone. There was a time during 2019 - 2020 season when Jess was landing well and Brian was shaky.

We also should give credit and not forget how well C/J landed their jumps in the sp, which surprised some judges who refused to score them fairly for beautifully landed jumps. It looks like C/J didn't bring the same relaxed, strong mindset for their fp. But I'm glad they switched back to their last season's fp. Maybe they will use the other fp they showed, Never Break, for exhibition performances.

Last edited:

ice_tulip

On the Ice
I have to say I don't agree with this at all. When you use music that's so identifiable with a skater you invite comparisons. And more often than not those comparisons are not good.

Will fans really see it the way you do? Or will they remember how much they enjoyed Aliona and Bruno's skating and how boring T/M are instead? :(

When I was watching the program, I was seeing S/M skate their program (in my head) and found myself sort of spacing out from T/M. I tried to pay attention but found the program quite empty (both figuratively and literally) without much creativity or emotional depth, of which I saw & felt loads with S/M's FP! So for me, it's the latter of the options you present. And I say this as a T/M fan (despite disliking most of their inferior programs).

ice_tulip

On the Ice
Be fair. Jessica and Brandon both have a problem with the sbs jumps. They also need to tweak issues on their throws (they've admitted to having to struggle with variant throw techniques they are trying to meld). On the jumps, they have not been as frank about what's happening there. But everyone needs to stop blaming Jess alone. There was a time during 2019 - 2020 season when Jess was landing well and Brian was shaky.

We also should give credit and not forget how well C/J landed their jumps in the sp, which surprised some judges who refused to score them fairly for beautifully landed jumps. It looks like C/J didn't bring the same relaxed, strong mindset for their fp. But I'm glad they switched back to their last season's fp. Maybe they will use the other fp they showed, Never Break, for exhibition performances.

Yes, they do both have problems on the SBS jumps. But Jessica missed both jumps in the LP while Brian did not, hence my frustration in Jessica today. I'm not trying to say she's the only one with problems. After being gone so long (for whatever mysterious reason) I was hoping they would've spent the time working on their jumping technique. Maybe they did and it's still a work in progress. I hope they get it together and don't turn out to be like Scimeca/Knierem whose struggle with the SBS jumps was really the only thing holding them back from a world medal.

I was surprised they switched back to their 2020 FP. Would love to see them just start from scratch and get a brand new program - something classical and different from their rock n roll SP.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Besides the twist, I don't see any obvious big differences in quality...
C/J have effortless quality on their 3-twist, as well as smooth, effortless speed and great SS. C/H have improved by leaps and bounds, but they are still developing their skills, confidence and knowledge of each other. And I hope this showing will push C/H over the hump to be confident under intense pressure situations. C/H hesitated on their second throw, or they might have landed it. That was the one thing they looked like they were thinking about and wanted a DO OVER, when they finished the program and glanced at each other.

Spencer & Emily are both 24, but Spencer will turn 25 in September, so they are 11 months apart in age. Jess & Brian are close in age as well, about 9 months apart. Jess turned 26 in February, and Brian will be 26 in November. So C/J are slightly older than C/H, and C/J are slightly ahead in pairs development too. It's a fact. It's the reason why C/J were scored so much higher with more mistakes.

I agree that C/H look like they are fast catching up, which means C/J will have to fix the pesky sbs jump issues.

Another thing is as fans, do we completely give up on skaters when they aren't going well? It feels good to get behind skaters who are going well. But the real test of fandom is continuing to support skaters you love when they are going through ups-and-downs. For sure, it can be frustrating. I was about ready to give up on Spencer & Emily because they have been inconsistent and disappointing at times. But they were working things through, and it clearly takes time. Maybe something begins to sink in, and suddenly they get it. Or else, they get the right music and choreography, and it all begins to come together.

I also think the new training venue, with the historic legacy that The Skating Club of Boston is endowed with, truly helps all the skaters who are training there. Look at what we are seeing from Max Naumov recently. Does Jimmy Ma train in Boston too? Or is he in Colorado?

ice_tulip

On the Ice
This version of Fix You is awful. :(

OMG, I completely agree. I don't understand why they chose that cover for the first 3/4 of the program. Why why why? At first I thought it was bc they didn't have the legal rights or whatever to use the original, but then they ended with the original Coldplay version which was SOOOOO much better, and the skaters and audience all seemed so much more inspired for that last 25%!! I hope they just scrap that cover and switch to Coldplay 100% of the program!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
But Jessica missed both jumps in the LP while Brian did not, hence my frustration in Jessica today. I'm not trying to say she's the only one with problems.
That's the thing. If you've been watching them from day 1 as a team like I have, then you are aware that they have gone back-and-forth with the hits and misses on jumps. Only about 3 times have I seen them in competition both land the jumps, and on a couple of those occasions Brian was slightly shaky but still made the landings. It's possible that Brian is a stronger jumper, but it's not really clear that either are that strong with the jumps.

What tends to happen is that one partner is looking at the other trying to be in sync and can easily be thrown off on their own jumps when they are worrying about their partner. It happens all the time. When Brandon was with Haven who was coming back from the terrible knee injury, it looked like Brandon wasn't a good jumper, because he was constantly pacing himself and worrying about Haven who was no longer mentally confident.

(I also remember Jessica with Zack Sidhu; and Brian with Chelsea Liu)

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
And C/H's throws are actually a little better than C/J's, the latter of which gets very little ice coverage. I think C/H's SBS are less unreliable too
The fact remains that C/H are just now putting everything altogether. C/J are ahead in stature and rep right now. But for sure C/J will be looking in the rearview mirror at more than just C/H if they don't bear down and gain some confidence and consistency on their jump landings.

As I said earlier, C/J told us in an interview that they have been trying to work out their different throw technique issues. For fans, it's easy for us to say that C/J need less height and more distance on their throws. There's something going on that's causing Jess to get enormous vertical height but no horizontal distance. This leads to her lean in the air, and the necessity to ace landings with her strong core, strong back muscles, and her cat-like landing prowess, which don't always come to the rescue.

No matter what, it is truly exciting to see Chan/Howe coming to the fore in this way, and I wish them continued success. It takes a bit of the sting out of Serafini/Tran no longer competing (although that hasn't been officially announced yet).

twirlingaround

Rinkside
Be fair. Jessica and Brandon both have a problem with the sbs jumps. They also need to tweak issues on their throws (they've admitted to having to struggle with variant throw techniques they are trying to meld). On the jumps, they have not been as frank about what's happening there. But everyone needs to stop blaming Jess alone. There was a time during 2019 - 2020 season when Jess was landing well and Brian was shaky.

Jessica and Brandon both have trouble on sbs jumps? Or did you mean Jessica and Brian?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

ice_tulip

On the Ice
Another thing is as fans, do we completely give up on skaters when they aren't going well? It feels good to get behind skaters who are going well. But the real test of fandom is continuing to support skaters you love when they are going through ups-and-downs. For sure, it can be frustrating. I was about ready to give up on Spencer & Emily because they have been inconsistent and disappointing at times. But they were working things through, and it clearly takes time. Maybe something begins to sink in, and suddenly they get it. Or else, they get the right music and choreography, and it all begins to come together.

I hope my comments don't communicate I'm giving up on C/J. That's not the case. I still root for them and look forward to their performances. However, their mysterious mandatory "hiatus" has tempered my enthusiasm to a degree, so if I sound less than effusive, that is why.

I'm excited about Spencer & Emily because I've been following their progress for several years through the ups and downs, and it looks like they are poised for a breakthrough season. They're musical and passionate and beautiful to watch.

Yeslekyelnats

Rinkside

Brandon? Or Brian

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sure tastes in costumes can differ. What is it exactly that you don't like though? I don't see anything wrong with the shade or the styling. What would you do differently?
The style is nice, it's the colour...it's so...drab? Like it seems to wash Zhenya and Vladimir out. I feel like a deep dark blue would suit, but then they've had so many blue costumes.

Maybe black with yellow sparkles, like the light of a lighthouse. But maybe that's too literal...is the song about a literal lighthouse? :laugh:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm excited about Spencer & Emily because I've been following their progress for several years through the ups and downs, and it looks like they are poised for a breakthrough season. They're musical and passionate and beautiful to watch.
Yeah, I remember feeling a bit down on Emily & Spencer, no matter how cute and handsome I think Spencer is, and how well-matched they are together. I was wrong, but I never gave up on them entirely. I notice that Emily has a lot of fans from her days as a single skater. C/H were probably just going through a lot of pairs woes. One step forward and two steps back kind of thing. It's difficult to manage personalities and individual off-ice personal issues, etc.

But this move to The Skating Club of Boston with their coaches has worked wonders for C/H, and as well, for their training mates, Lu/Mitrofanov. It just appears that Misha may be having some issues still with a wrist injury, which is probably why the lift problems. Also C/H are a much more outwardly charismatic team than L/M. I also think that Spencer seems easygoing and upbeat all the time, whereas Emily has looked unhappy at times. But that's just a difference in personalities.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The style is nice, it's the colour...it's so...drab? Like it seems to wash Zhenya and Vladimir out. I feel like a deep dark blue would suit, but then they've had so many blue costumes.

Maybe black with yellow sparkles, like the light of a lighthouse. But maybe that's too literal...is the song about a literal lighthouse? :laugh:

Ha ha, I like the idea of black with yellow sparkles. But there are so many different directions to go in with costumes. I'm sure that T/M and their coaches all signed off on these looks. I don't see a problem with their costumes though. It's nice to converse about costumes, but I'm not going to nitpick at all, after some of their very bad costumes misses. I'm satisfied.

I can't wait for the rest of the season to unfold. And I wish I could spend all my time watching and conversing about figure skating. But that's gonna be impossible for me, so I might be missing in action as the season heats up. Too much going on right now with other pursuits and life happening. That's why it's been a blast taking some time this weekend to check out all the events I could catch at Cranberry.

Does anyone know where the archived free skate streams might be found from Cranberry?