2021 ISU Congress: proposals received | Golden Skate

2021 ISU Congress: proposals received

Andrea82

Medalist
2021 Congress should have taken place in Phuket (Thailand) but it has been cancelled. It will be replaced by a mail vote about the most urgent matters.

ISU Council, ISU Technical Committees and ISU Members have put forward proposals. The full list can be found at the following link along with ISU decision on which ones will be voted this time and which ones will be delayed to next year (hoping for a full Congress):

New proposals to be decided next month include

- introduced of a combined technical elements minimum score needed to partecipate in ISU Championships in addition to the SP/RD and FS/FD minimum TESs starting from 2022/23 (proposal 2002)
- re-introduction of qualifying round at World Championships starting from 2022/23 (proposal 202)
- ladies to be called women (proposal 31)

Among the proposals to be delayed to next year there are

- raising age limits for Senior to 17 for Single and 15 for Pair/Dance (proposed by Norway, proposal 47)
- raising age limits to be allowed to stay junior for Pair/Dance to 21 also for women (by Canada, proposal 48)
- introducing age limits for cubs and chicks (proposed by Hungary, proposal 49)
- introducing Junior Europeans and Junior 4 Continents (put forward by Hungary, proposal 64)
- setting minimum TES scores during the Summer and not after (proposed by Iceland, proposal 203)
-increase the number of competitions used to set the Olympic spots (proposed by Hungary, proposal 205)
- proposals to split the panel of judges between judges focusing on GOEs and judges on some PCS (put forwards by Netherlands and Canada/Italy, proposals 190/191)
- proposals to keep the individual judges' marks anonymous until the end of the event (proposed by Italy, Canada and China, proposal 199)
- increasing the number of judges at 4 Continents (put forwards by ISU Technical Committees, proposal 257)

Last edited:

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
2021 Congress should have taken place in Phuket (Thailand) but it has been cancelled. It will be replaced by a mail vote about the most urgent matters.

ISU Council, ISU Technical Committees and ISU Members have put forward proposals. The full list can be found at the following link along with ISU decision on which ones will be voted this time and which ones will be delayed to next year (hoping for a full Congress):

New proposals to be decided next month include

- introduced of a combined technical elements minimum score needed to partecipate in ISU Championships in addition to the SP/RD and FS/FD minimum TESs starting from 2022/23 (proposal 2002) MAYBE? WOULDN’T THAT JUST BE THE SP/RD and the FS/FD MINIMUMS COMBINED
- re-introduction of qualifying round at World Championships starting from 2022/23 (proposal 202) N/A
- ladies to be called women (proposal 31) I GUESS SO, I DON‘T REALLY KNOW WHAT THE DIFFERENCE WOULD BE

Among the proposals to be delayed to next year there are

- raising age limits for Senior to 17 for Single and 15 for Pair/Dance (proposed by Norway, proposal 47) I DON’T KNOW IF IT WILL HAPPEN
- raising age limits to be allowed to stay junior for Pair/Dance to 21 also for women (by Canada, proposal 48) MAYBE WILL HAPPEN
- introducing age limits for cubs and chicks (proposed by Hungary, proposal 49) WHAT IS THIS?
- introducing Junior Europeans and Junior 4 Continents (put forward by Hungary, proposal 64) NICE IDEA, BUT EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE
- setting minimum TES scores during the Summer and not after (proposed by Iceland, proposal 203) I SUPPOSE
-increase the number of competitions used to set the Olympic spots (proposed by Hungary, proposal 205) IDK ABOUT THIS ONE
- proposals to split the panel of judges between judges focusing on GOEs and judges on some PCS (put forwards by Netherlands and Canada/Italy, proposals 190/191) MAYBE
- proposals to keep the judges' marks anonymous until the end of the event (proposed by Italy, Canada and China, proposal 199) WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? IF IT MEANS WE DON’T GET THE SCORES THEN NO.
- increasing the number of judges at 4 Continents (put forwards by ISU Technical Committees, proposal 257) MAYBE
My takes (in bold)

Andrea82

Medalist
What is this?

There would be a number of direct entries to the SP/RD. (20 in Single, 16 in Pair, 20 in ID).

Twenty-four (24) Direct Entries each in the disciplines Ladies and Men, sixteen (16) Direct Entries in the Pair Skating discipline and twenty (20) Direct Entries in the Ice Dance discipline will be determined according to paragraph 3.a) and b) of this Rule.

ii. For this purpose, ISU Members who have earned the right for two (2) or three (3) entries at the immediately preceding year’s ISU World Senior Championships are listed first and the remaining ISU Members are listed in order of their best placed Skater in the same ISU World Championships to fill the Direct Entry spots.

iii. If the application of the above procedure results in more than twenty-four (24) Ladies or Men, sixteen (16) Pair Skating couples, twenty (20) Ice Dance Couples being eligible for Direct Entries from ISU Members with the right for two (2) or three (3) entries, the number of Direct Entries will be increased by the required number of entry spots. In such case the number of entries advancing from the Qualifying Round to the Short Program / Rhythm Dance will be reduced by the same number.

The rest would do the the qualification round. They skate the FS and a number of them advance to the SP

Qualifying Round Entries: The maximum number of entries for the Qualifying Round is thirty (30) for Ladies, thirty (30) for Men, sixteen (16) for Pair Skating, and twenty (20) for Ice Dance.

ii. ISU Members who do not have a Direct Entry in the Championship Round Short Program /Rhythm Dance may enter one Competitor per discipline (Men, Ladies, Pair Skating, Ice Dance), provided that the ISU Member is ranked amongst the top 30 ISU Members in Men or Ladies, the top 16 ISU Members in Pair Skating and the top 20 ISU Members in Ice Dance on the Qualifying Round Total Technical Element Score ranking list at the time of the entry deadline.

iii. The entered Competitors for the Qualifying Round must have achieved the Minimum Combined Total Element Scores as outlined in paragraph 4.
iv. In the case that there are less than 30 ISU Members in Men or Ladies, less than 16 ISU Members in Pair Skating and less than 20 ISU Members in Ice Dance on the Qualifying Round Combined Total Element Score ranking list at the time of the entry deadline, the respective number of Qualifying Round Entry spots will not be filled

d) Advancement from Qualifying Round to Championship Round Short Program/Rhythm Dance:

i. The total number of Competitors advancing from the Qualifying Round to the Championship Round Short Program/Rhythm Dance is twelve (12) for Ladies, twelve (12) for Men, eight (8) for Pairs, and ten (10) for Ice Dance.

ii. Should paragraph 5, b), iii become applicable, the number of entries advancing from the Qualifying Round to the Short Program/Rhythm Dance will be reduced by the same number.

iii. In the case that not all Direct Entry spots will be used, the number of entries advancing from the Qualifying Round to the Championships Round Short Program / Rhythm Dance will be increased by the number of unused Direct Entry spots.

iv. In the case that the number of Competitors entered in the Qualifying Round exceeds the number of Competitors advancing to the Championship Round Short Program / Rhythm Dance by only 1 or 2 Competitors, the President in consultation with the ISU Vice President Figure Skating, the ISU Representative and the ISU Event Coordinator Figure Skating has the right to cancel such Qualifying Round for the respective discipline and to increase the number of total entries in the Short Program / Rhythm Dance by 1 or 2 Competitors.

I think the last time there were qualification rounds (organised in different way) was 2006 Worlds.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
What is this?
Till 2006 there was a qualification in order to reduce the final number of the competitors to 30. Free skate was performed, the score was divided by 4 and then counted to the SP and FS skated later.

It's a complete nuts proposal (not the first time it is tried to reintroduce it) and I hope it will be rejected.

Edit: I see the specific proposal is posted. Well, the idea that some will have to go through the qualification and others won't doesn't look fair to me.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Medalist
My takes (in bold)

I don't know how to reply directly in the text.
But the proposal about anonymity in judges' marks until the end of the event is about the individual judges' scores, not the total score received by the skater (which will be immediately be known).

As for the combined technical element minimum scores, I think it means that this third minimum must be done in the same event (summing SP and FS TES from the same competition).
The SP minimum and the FS minimum can be achieved in different events.

I would suppose they would set this combined minimum TES at a more "achievable" level than current minimum SP and FS scores.

Last edited:

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't know how to reply directly in the text.
But the proposal about anonymity in judges' marks is about the individual judges' scores, not the total score received by the skater (which will be immediately be known).
Ok. I do like having the protocols though, and see the individual breakdown

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I would rather not see qualifying rounds back. I remember them all to well. You never get to see them, only records about who came through. It will take time, it will make skaters add an additional Free while they're already working hard, etc.

I quite of like the minimum TES (I don't know whether it's necessary to add a combined one but I'd rather stick to the minimum TES in whatever combination): that's the necessary border to be able to compete - apart from National assignments. Qualifying rounds in combination with minimum TES are a bit too much at a WC. The proposal is probably in there because of the multitude of women skaters but I'd rather have a little higher TES minimum than an extra qualifying round (time, energy) as long as the minimum TES are proclaimed early enough.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
It would be cool if to each proposal a clarification file is appended where the federation(s) describes what problems and how it will solve.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
- raising age limits to be allowed to stay junior for Pair/Dance to 21 also for women (by Canada, proposal 48)
This would make sense.
- introducing Junior Europeans and Junior 4 Continents (put forward by Hungary, proposal 64)
This would be cool, but I find it unlikely the ISU is going to hold two more junior championships (though if they put them permanently in Japan and Russia they’d probably be decent money-makers).

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I sort of like the different GOE/PCS panels. That way, the judges can focus on different things while a skater skates.
I think this should be the first thing on the table after the Olympics.

People often think they're great multi-taskers, but science shows we overestimate ourselves. So instead of doing one thing to a super high standard you do two things to a far less standard. This doesn't matter much when you're juggling with cooking your dinner and cleaning the house, but it does here where the decisions decide medals and who gets to go to Nationals, GPF, Worlds or whatever.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I like this. "Women" is a more neutral term and doesn't have the connotation of being "lady-like". Took them long enough though.
except that this is a move a few decades too late at least... with the womyn and womxn spellings to avoid the sexism in the spelling...