2021 World Entries | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2021 World Entries

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Chloe and Livio disappeared from the entry list at Challenge Cup. Not sure if they will have another possibility to obtain their TES minimums. :scratch2: It would be a pity to let their spot at worlds go to waste.
The video thing?

Looks like Yudong Chen got his mins like that. But I guess that might mean the time has passed...

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
The video thing?

Looks like Yudong Chen got his mins like that. But I guess that might mean the time has passed...

Quoting from the TES minimums for Worlds thread, they may till have time as the deadline to apply is midnight tonight (CET):
Deadline to apply is February 16, 2021 at 23:59 Central European Time. Once entered the Members/Skaters will have 72h to submit their videos for evaluation (see details in below para 2.3 with last videos submission on February 19, 2021 at 23:59 Central European Time.
Hopefully they will apply/have already applied and are able to obtain their minimums.

Country
Norway
Who denied their entry?

I'd find it hard to think China would disallow their skaters to attend Worlds, especially when Olympic berths depend on it. Olympic on home soil at that. I don't know anything about Biathlon and their Olympic spots pertaining to this World Cup (in Slovenia?)

I read it in the Norwegian newspaper, and it says it was the national authorities denying it. I tried to find a English source, and here is a interview with Bjørndalen and his wife, which is coaching the Chinese biathlon team:

Olympic Channel (OC): How is your adventure in China going?

Ole Einar Bjorndalen (OEB):
It’s going quite well, although we would like to be in Europe competing at the World Cup, but they don't send us because of the
situation with coronavirus in Europe now.
So we are in China all the time, we do a preparation here and we have good snow conditions. We are training very hard, as hard as we can. The athletes are in good shape, they do development every day. So we are all very optimistic.

They are not missing only World Cups, but the World Championship in Slovenia now.

The Norwegian newspaper says it´s challenging because the biathlon theme looses chance to collect qualifying points for the OG. And that they will only now be able to collect points next season, which perhaps will not be enough time.

I find it odd to be honest, considering OG is being held in Beijing. Maybe it´s different for the figure skaters though. The Chinese biathletes haven´t been the best in the world, and that was the reason Bjørndalen was hired. Maybe the don´t find them worthy enough. Also I guess maybe it´s easier that the skaters will go as there is just a very small team.

icybear

Medalist
Will the Chinese skaters be allowed to go Stockholm from the national authorities? The reason I ask is that apparently the Chinese biathlon theme got denied at the application they sent in order to compete in WC in biathlon. I´m wondering why figure skaters should be allowed but not the biathlon team?
I dont think the fed would be announcing the team names if the national authorities has already put a ban on athletes competing internationally because of covid. The Biathlon team is very weak compared to figure skating. There's no point sending out atlhetes there just to get 30th place or 40th place esp now where covid in Europe is still very not well controlled.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
If the ISU decides that Worlds will not be an Olympic qualifying event, do you think Yuzuru will participate? The only reason he did Nationals was because of Worlds, and the only reason he's doing Worlds is because of the Olympics. And if the ISU makes that decision, will other skaters or federations also withdraw?

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
the only reason he's doing Worlds is because of the Olympics.
I suspect that he may actually want to do Worlds for plenty of reasons. This is 1. a very competitive young man who trains very hard but has only had one competition this season, 2. didn't have the biggest competition of the year to go to last season and 3. is arguably in better shape these days than in many recent years.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I suspect that he may actually want to do Worlds for plenty of reasons. This is 1. a very competitive young man who trains very hard but has only had one competition this season, 2. didn't have the biggest competition of the year to go to last season and 3. is arguably in better shape these days than in many recent years.
Assuming he feels comfortable about the safety precautions being taken, now that I think about it, he might actually go because there is no audience. One of his concerns with the GP series was the health of the audience. I highly doubt Yuzu will attend WTT though.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
regarding olympic spots... for China... China is guaranteed spots in the Olympics as the host country always has at least one spot per event. Of course, they want more than one spot in some of the disciplines in figure skating but they may not need more than one in biathlon if their best athletes ranks 30th or 40th in the world... One is enough... So for Chinese athletes, there is no real incentive in many disciplines to get out there.... for instance, they should automatically qualify in curling... only one team per country.. done deal... etc etc etc.. Easier for them to train at home than having to control the athletes before and after travels

Andrea82

Medalist
regarding olympic spots... for China... China is guaranteed spots in the Olympics as the host country always has at least one spot per event. Of course, they want more than one spot in some of the disciplines in figure skating but they may not need more than one in biathlon if their best athletes ranks 30th or 40th in the world... One is enough... So for Chinese athletes, there is no real incentive in many disciplines to get out there.... for instance, they should automatically qualify in curling... only one team per country.. done deal... etc etc etc.. Easier for them to train at home than having to control the athletes before and after travels

Moreover, Biathlon qualification is based on a ranking that considers the best results in 2020/21 and first half of 2021/22 in World Championships, World Cup stages and IBU Cup. Therefore, you can miss World Championships and use the other events.
Well, China is skipping the whole Biathlon season. No appearance in World Cup either.

And as you said China is currently weak in biathlon. Biathlon qualification rules already give the host country 2 spots per gender.
Yes, they could try for 4 spots in women (countries ranked between 11 and 20). But they can use first half of next season if they care about getting the standard relay.

Last edited:

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
The FISG published their ranking document for the allocation of spots at Worlds: https://static.fisg.it/wp-content/u...r-assegnazione-Campionati-Mondiali-2021-2.pdf

Although not yet confirmed, from the document it looks like the team for Italy will be:
Ladies: Lara Naki Gutmann
Men: Daniel Grassl, Matteo Rizzo
Pairs: Nicole Della Monica & Matteo Guarise, Rebecca Ghilardi & Filippo Ambrosini
Ice Dance: Charlène Guignard & Marco Fabbri, Carolina Moscheni & Francesco Fioretti

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
The FISG published their ranking document for the allocation of spots at Worlds: https://static.fisg.it/wp-content/u...r-assegnazione-Campionati-Mondiali-2021-2.pdf

Although not yet confirmed, from the document it looks like the team for Italy will be:
Ladies: Lara Naki Gutmann
Men: Daniel Grassl, Matteo Rizzo
Pairs: Nicole Della Monica & Matteo Guarise, Rebecca Ghilardi & Filippo Ambrosini
Ice Dance: Charlène Guignard & Marco Fabbri, Carolina Moscheni & Francesco Fioretti
so they went with the nationals result. i agree, although Lara wasn't at her best at Gran Premio she is still the national champion while Ginevra Negrello hasn't competed as senior yet, also her tech is too low.

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States

MaHa75

On the Ice
How is it possible that Arhipova got this place? She was 4th in nationals with 134 points? She has not competiting 2 season ...does she have minimum?

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
But ukraine Skating union had a chance to get to others minimum also via online if they wanted? To me it seems quite unfaire to other athletes...
Ukrainian federation refused to help with videos. Only one girl could try to get minimum (2 other girls are too young), but maybe her team decided it's not worth of trying.