2021 Worlds: Official song | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Official song

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Swedish Figure Skating Association and the International Skating Union (ISU) are proud to announce that the official song for the 2021 World Figure Skating Championships will be performed by international artists Måns Zelmerlöw and Polina Gagarina. The single will be released on February 19, 2021.

The ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021 will be held at the Ericsson Globe in Stockholm (SWE) from March 22 – 28. The Swedish Figure Skating Association has partnered with Måns Zelmerlöw and Polina Gagarina, to create a specially commissioned song for the Championships entitled “Circles and Squares”. The Swedish and Russian singers will also perform the single together during the Exhibition Gala on March 28, 2021.

The two artists met at the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest, which Måns Zelmerlöw won with his entry “Heroes” and Polina Gagarina took second place with “A Million Voices”.

Although the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021 are currently planned to be held behind closed doors, the event will be televised worldwide. The ISU will publish detailed information on where spectators can watch the Championships closer to the date.

“We hope that the official World Championships song will be something for the Figure Skating world to gather around and be proud of. With these two global stars performing the song, it’ll be extremely popular and trigger interest from Figure Skating fans the world over,” says Ulrika Molin, World Championships project director.

“When we wrote the song, we wanted to match the drama and dramaturgical dynamism of Figure Skating. I really think that we’ve created a song for the ice,” says Måns.

“For me, this co-operation is not only about travelling to beautiful Sweden, where the World Championships are being held, but also about getting into the world of Figure Skating. I really admire the skaters. Everything they do seems impossible and fantastic to me. I’m delighted that Måns and I are singing the main track for this major event,” adds Polina.

FACTS
Song release date: February 19, 2021 on Spotify and I-Tunes.
Music video release date: February 28, 2021

Title: Circles and Squares
Artists: Måns Zelmerlöw, Polina Gagarina
Written by: Måns Zelmerlöw, Stefan Örn, David Lindgren Zacharias, Sandra Bjurman, Jon Eyden.
Producer: Stefan Örn
Mixed by: Johan Kronlund
Mastered by: Björn Engelman för Cutting Room
Record company: Argle Bargle Studios

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Polina first came to my attention when I heard her cover of "Kukushka", from the soundtrack of the film "The Battle Of Sevastopol", at a skating competition. I can't remember who was skating to it that time, but I just fell in love with the song:

Polina Gagarina - "Kukushka"

Since then, I have heard the original version, by the much missed Viktor Tsoi (who wrote the song). And I have to admit, I didn't like his version.

When I found out Polina would be representing Russia at Eurovision 2015, I thought "right, here's the winner". But, then I heard the song. After hearing what she was capable of in "Kukushka", this song did not do her voice justice. That said, it was still my favourite song from Semi Final 1, and my second favourite song from the Final.

As for Måns, his entry wasn't one of my favourites at the time. But, it has grown on me since then.

So, I am quietly optomistic about this duet.

But, it'll have to be an exceptional song to better the official song from 2018 Worlds:

Bianca Atzei - "Fire On Ice"

Incidentally, here are my Top 6 songs from the 2015 Eurovision Grand Final:

1. 🇮🇹 Il Volo - "Grande Amore" (3rd in Final)
  2. 🇷🇺 Polina Gagarina - "A Million Voices" (1st in Semi 1; 2nd in Final)
  3. 🇪🇸 Edure - "Amanecer" (21st in Final)
  4. 🇦🇹 The Makemakes - "I Am Yours" (26th in Final)
  5. 🇦🇱 Elhaida Dani - "I'm Alive" (10th in Semi 1; 17th in Final)
  6. 🇵🇱 Monika Kuszyńska - "In the Name Of Love" (8th in Semi 2; 23rd in Final)

Sorry, @elektra blue! :p

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haha. Seems we have a few Eurovision fans here.

I challenge anyone to find a more unlikely one than me: born, raised, and live in New York City, and traveled to the 2014 show from here.

it’s a long story, but I have been watching since 2004. Haha

Last edited:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Polina first came to my attention when I heard her cover of "Kukushka", from the soundtrack of the film "The Battle Of Sevastopol", at a skating competition. I can't remember who was skating to it that time, but I just fell in love with the song:

Polina Gagarina - "Kukushka"

Since then, I have heard the original version, by the much missed Viktor Tsoi (who wrote the song). And I have to admit, I didn't like his version.

When I found out Polina would be representing Russia at Eurovision 2015, I thought "right, here's the winner". But, then I heard the song. After hearing what she was capable of in "Kukushka", this song did not do her voice justice. That said, it was still my favourite song from Semi Final 1, and my second favourite song from the Final.

As for Måns, his entry wasn't one of my favourites at the time. But, it has grown on me since then.

So, I am quietly optomistic about this duet.

Incidentally, here are my Top 6 songs from the 2015 Grand Final:

1. 🇮🇹 Il Volo - "Grande Amore" (3rd)
  2. 🇷🇺 Polina Gagarina - "A Million Voices" (2nd)
  3. 🇪🇸 Edure - "Amanecer" (21st)
  4. 🇦🇹 The Makemakes - "I Am Yours" (26th)
  5. 🇦🇱 Elhaida Dani - "I'm Alive" (17th)
  6. 🇵🇱 Monika Kuszyńska - "In the Name Of Love" (23rd)

Sorry, @elektra blue! :p

CaroLiza_fan
The best song from 2015 was the winner of Turkvision. Haha

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Haha. Seems we have a few Eurovision fans here.

I challenge anyone to find a more unlikely one than me: born, raised, and live in New York City, and traveled to the 2014 show from here.

it’s a long story, but I have been watching since 2004. Haha

Wow! You've travelled all the way from the other side of the Atlantic to go to Eurovision. 😲 My hat goes off to you!

I've never been to Eurovision and, if I'm totally honest, I'm not sure I would want to. I'm not really one for big crowds. I'm happy enough to watch on TV. And I would imagine that we get a better view of the performances than the audience, what with all the flags and stuff being waved in the arena.

I have been watching for ages as well. And since 2010, I have been printing off the Start Orders of the Semis and the Final, and as I watch them, I mark the songs that I like, and pick a Top 4 from each Semi, and a Top 6 from the Final.

Although I am from the British Isles, most of the songs I like tend to be from Eastern Europe. And I don't know why, but the entry from Azerbaijan is nearly always one of my favourites.

Oh, and I HATE it when countries have songs that are in English rather than their own language.

The best song from 2015 was the winner of Turkvision. Haha

Wow. How did I never hear about that contest before?!

For those like me that have never heard it before, here is the song that is being referred to:

🇰🇬 Jiidesh İdirisova - "Kim Bilet"

Not bad. Not bad at all. I like that song! :rock:

Incidentally, I listened to the German entry as well, because I thought the table on Wikipedia was ordered by the results rather than the order they performed in. :p

🇩🇪 Derya Kaptan - "Sessiz Çiğlik" (11th)

It was OK, but I think I would have preferred if there was a bit more actual singing. Don't get me wrong, the instrumental sections were good. But, they were too long compared to the vocal sections.

Speaking of singers from Germany who have Turkish heritage, I wonder will we ever see Bahar Kızıl competing in Turkvision? I've been a fan of her's ever since she was in Monrose. Since they split, I've heard her sing in Turkish a few times, and it sounded really good. (For examples, see this post).

I miss Turkey in Eurovision. They had some really good songs that did not get the recognition they deserved.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
@elektra blue

That's the second "angry" reaction I have got to a post since the migration to XenForo. And both times they have been from you for posts where I say that I like a song by Il Volo!

Come on, they aren't that bad!

CaroLiza_fan

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
@elektra blue

That's the second "angry" reaction I have got to a post since the migration to XenForo. And both times they have been from you for posts where I say that I like a song by Il Volo!

Come on, they aren't that bad!

CaroLiza_fan
:laugh2: Do not underestimate Elektra's dislike of Il Volo!

But this is pretty cool! I didn't know they had songs for Worlds! Is there one every year?

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow! You've travelled all the way from the other side of the Atlantic to go to Eurovision. 😲 My hat goes off to you!

I've never been to Eurovision and, if I'm totally honest, I'm not sure I would want to. I'm not really one for big crowds. I'm happy enough to watch on TV. And I would imagine that we get a better view of the performances than the audience, what with all the flags and stuff being waved in the arena.

I have been watching for ages as well. And since 2010, I have been printing off the Start Orders of the Semis and the Final, and as I watch them, I mark the songs that I like, and pick a Top 6 from each night.

Although I am from the British Isles, most of the songs I like tend to be from Eastern Europe. And I don't know why, but the entry from Azerbaijan is nearly always one of my favourites.

Oh, and I HATE it when countries have songs that are in English rather than their own language.

Wow. How did I never hear about that contest before?!

For those like me that have never heard it before, here is the song that is being referred to:

🇰🇬 Jiidesh İdirisova - "Kim Bilet"

Not bad. Not bad at all. I like that song! :rock:

Incidentally, I listened to the German entry as well, because I thought the table on Wikipedia was ordered by the results rather than the order they performed in. :p

🇩🇪 Derya Kaptan - "Sessiz Çiğlik" (11th)

It was OK, but I think I would have preferred if there was a bit more actual singing. Don't get me wrong, the instrumental sections were good. But, they were too long compared to the vocal sections.

Speaking of singers from Germany who have Turkish heritage, I wonder will we ever see Bahar Kızıl competing in Turkvision? I've been a fan of her's ever since she was in Monrose. Since they split, I've heard her sing in Turkish a few times, and it sounded really good. (For examples, see this post).

I miss Turkey in Eurovision. They had some really good songs that did not get the recognition they deserved.

CaroLiza_fan
Trust me, if you have the chance to go, go.
Everyone is so friendly and Kobenhavn was a wonderful host.

You get to meet a lot of singers. Long story short, I ended up getting invited backstage by Krista Siegfrieds and met the Finnish delegation and Softengine.

Also, definitely want Turkey back. They always brought the fun.

To answer your other question as a guy, do you see what the Azerbaijani female acts look like? My friends don’t want Eurovision but they know who the Azerbaijani female singers are. Haha

The country I most fell in love with because of Eurovision was Estonia though. Was planning to go to Eesti Laul one year. Or the Estonian figure skating Nationals.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Trust me, if you have the chance to go, go.
Everyone is so friendly and Kobenhavn was a wonderful host.

You get to meet a lot of singers. Long story short, I ended up getting invited backstage by Krista Siegfrieds and met the Finnish delegation and Softengine.

Also, definitely want Turkey back. They always brought the fun.

To answer your other question as a guy, do you see what the Azerbaijani female acts look like? My friends don’t want Eurovision but they know who the Azerbaijani female singers are. Haha

The country I most fell in love with because of Eurovision was Estonia though. Was planning to go to Eesti Laul one year. Or the Estonian figure skating Nationals.

Agreed, whenever there is a female singer representing Azerbaijan, they are nearly always unbelievably stunningly beautiful. But, I do genuinely like the songs most years. Mind you, they have had a couple of dud ones in recent years.

Speaking of beautiful female singers - you got in with Krista Siegfrieds?! :jaw: You lucky devil!!! Although she didn't make my Top choices in either Semi or Final in 2013, her song was one of the ones that I did mark as having liked. Which is an achievement in itself, as I don't normally go for the really upbeat songs.

🇫🇮 Krista Siegfrieds - "Marry Me" (2013: 9th in Semi 2; 24th in Final)

As for Softengine's song, they were my 3rd favourite song from Semi 2. But, they didn't make my Top 6 in the Final, because 3 out of my Top 4 choices from Semi 1 had got through to the Final, and I preferred them.

🇫🇮 Softengine - "Something Better" (2014: 3rd in Semi 2; 11th in Final)

You definitely picked the right year to go. In the decade that I have been recording my favourites, that is the only year that my favourite won. Of all the songs I have heard at Eurovision over the years, "Rise Like A Phoenix" is without doubt my favourite. And what a performance that was that Conchita put on!

Plus, I have been a massive fan of Ruth Lorenzo ever since she was on the X Factor in 2008. Much as I liked Alexandra Burke and JLS, I wanted Ruth to win the series. So, I was gutted when she was knocked out in the Quarter Final.

Mind you, if I had had my way, you would have been going to Moldova rather than Denmark! :laugh:

🇲🇩 Aliona Moon - "O Mie" (2013: 4th in Semi 1; 11th in Final)
🇩🇰 Emmelie de Forest - "Only Teardrops" (2013: 1st in Semi 1; 1st in Final)

As figure skating fans, the best years for going to Eurovision would have been 2008 or 2019. 2008 because Evgeni Plushenko was on stage when Dima Bilan was singing; and 2019 because Ladies Singles skater Leonora Colmor Jepsen was representing Denmark.

🇷🇺 Dima Bilan - "Believe" (2008: 3rd in Semi 1; 1st in Final)
🇩🇰 Leonora - "Love Is Forever" (2019: 10th in Semi 2; 12th in Final)

I wonder when the next time will be that we see a figure skater at Eurovision...

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
:laugh2: Do not underestimate Elektra's dislike of Il Volo!

Oh, don't worry, I know just how much she dislikes them. I just couldn't resist trying to get a reaction out of her. :devil:

Still don't understand why she is so much against them, though. But, we all have our own likes and dislikes. If we all liked the same things, life would be boring.

But this is pretty cool! I didn't know they had songs for Worlds! Is there one every year?

I think it is only a recent innovation. But, I am not sure how long they have been doing it for.

Here are the ones I know of:

🇫🇮 Diandra Flores - "Light Up The Ice" (Helsinki 2017)
🇮🇹 Bianca Atzei - "Fire On Ice" (Milan 2018)

I had actually forgotten that there had been a song in 2017 until @La Rhumba did a poll on her Twitter last week asking which song people preferred. Of the 14 votes, 10 went for Bianca's, and 4 went for Diandra's.

The fact that I had forgotten about Diandra's song should indicate which of the two songs I prefer. ;)

CaroLiza_fan

cabres

On the Ice
This is the official song of the 2021 World Figure Skating Championship. The composition "Circles and Squares" is performed by Polina Gagarina and swedish singer Mons Zelmerlev . The video will premiere on 28 February.

The artists will perform the song together during demonstration performances at the World Championships.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had no idea there were official songs for Worlds. I like this one. Is this the same music that was used for the introductions of each flight of skaters? I guess I have to hear them back to back to compare them. BTW, this is off topic, but I loved the lighting of those big letters that spelled out "Stockholm" during these championships.