2021 Worlds: Pairs Short Program | Page 47 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Pairs Short Program

readernick

Medalist
Totally agree! Here on Goldenskate there are certain skaters who are like a third rail—anything remotely negative said about them will result in electrocution :)
Yes, but I think you should say whatever you want. People need to be less sensitive about their favorites. Personally, I love Sui/ Han. I think they are fabulous and #1 in terms of performance skills but I am not narrow-minded enough to be upset if others don't like them. We all naturally have biases and preferences and that's fine. If you said Sui/ Han had bad skating skills or a bad twist that would bother me because factually that isn't true. But, saying you don't like their style or don't think they are the best is certainly just a matter of taste. We all love different things, and that fine! In fact, it's great because that means so skaters will have their own group of fans!

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
WAIT is there a discussion about why S/H excel as a pair?-Come on, they are not really a pair. SH IS SKATING LIKE ONE while everyone else attends pair competition. PLUS we have been watching Sui and Han since they were so tiny yet full of characteristics and watching them through all injuries. I like T/M, P/J, M/G as well, but S/H is just special:love:

I agree with your opinion. However, I think the point of the previous argument is that it is ok if others don't think the same as I do or you do. People aren't obligated to love Sui/ Han.

readernick

Medalist
You've made so many posts like this and I really don't know what you want. People like what they like. No one says you have to like S/H, but you're also not going to convince anyone to dislike them or prefer T/M to them because you do. I'm sorry it's lonely and depressing but I wish you wouldn't let it make you feel that way. I uber for Wang/Liu and other less popular skaters and people barely care about them. 🤷‍♀️

As for T/M not smashing records in 2019... Well it's hard to smash records when you put a hand down on both your jumping passes.

This is also true. I really really love the Japanese team. I think their cuteness is making me biased ;) But, if even if others don't enjoy them that doesn't mean that I can't! I can't say I am personally a fan of Wang/ Lui but it is great you like them so much!

T/M are I think, unarguably, amazing skaters. Their elements, technical skills and SS are " the best" ( imho). But, they often do let mistakes creep in and that does mean they don't smash records. I don't see how that is anyone's fault but their own. ( And I don't mean that in a negative way, just that no one makes them fall.. That's their own doing)

Sackie

Medalist
Not expecting a lot from MT/M2 in the free. Think their big chance to make a run for the podium was last year, which didn't happen. Starting to think their time has come and gone. As someone mentioned this was one of the worse shorts they have done in a long time.

rccr25

Rinkside
Sui/Han were surely getting the rep GOE points. Of course, they are sharp and exciting. Still, I often find it annoying that they can take so much time off to rest her injury and keep coming back at tail end of seasons and being given so much, sometimes when they are off and not necessarily deserving of some of the rep points. Not to take away from how exciting they can be to watch. But I'm being honest.
I think we should think it this way: They used to compete simultaneously in GP and JGP when they were young. She LOVES being able to compete. But she often couldn't (Han as well. He has been suffering from injury in the past years and just had a surgery last year). Well while she was "taking time off", she was suffering from pain and the struggle to have surgery-recover-be able to be back on ice-injury-have surgery-recover-be able to be back on ice...This has been the typical routine for her.

I admire their commitment to the ice.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Not expecting a lot from MT/M2 in the free. Think their big chance to make a run for the podium was last year, which didn't happen. Starting to think their time has come and gone. As someone mentioned this was one of the worse shorts they have done in a long time.
At this stage I'm just hoping they and Walsh/Michaud can hold Canada's spots, or if both are clean, maybe even add one.
Both teams have been coming off injury and MT/M in particular seem to be suffering from the lack of competitive experience this season. I wouldn't say their careers have peaked, but it's trickier for them now with the younger Russian pairs becoming more established as seniors.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I think we should think it this way: They used to compete simultaneously in GP and JGP when they were young. She LOVES being able to compete. But she often couldn't (Han as well. He has been suffering from injury in the past years and just had a surgery last year). Well while she was "taking time off", she was suffering from pain and the struggle to have surgery-recover-be able to be back on ice-injury-have surgery-recover-be able to be back on ice...This has been the typical routine for her.

I admire their commitment to the ice.
Yes, sure, under all of the challenges Sui/Han have faced, they are commendable. They are surely strong, admirable role models. I still don't agree with them being automatically given high points (e.g., at 2019 Worlds in the sp). That 79 score was overly high for what they did, and for them not being at their absolute best. I don't think they deserved much higher than 74 or 75 back then. They had been very weak at 4CCs that year. The issue is that S/H had to skate in an early group due to not having competed in the first part of that season. So the judges were trying to gift them and pad against a particular rival who had won everything that season.

If the judges like you, that's helpful. The way to get the judges to like you is to demonstrate consistency and determination, which S/H have in spades, despite mistakes that are increasingly creeping in. I still don't think it's exactly fair over a number of years to say, 'Well, I have to preserve my physical conditioning and protect against an injury relapse by not pounding myself on the ice over every long season.' Most skating athletes don't have that luxury.

It will be interesting to see how Sui/Han will approach next season competitively. Their main objective is a gold medal in Beijing. I don't think they are that worried about not winning in Stockholm 2021. The other reality is they are getting older, and they have had these injuries, and Sui in particular has issues on the triple salchow. Due to their enormous drive and strength of will, I don't doubt they can be ready when it matters on the ice in Beijing (with the huge advantage of home turf).

I actually have some program ideas for the Chinese teams, but I'm not saying just now.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I also prefer P/J slightly over S/H at the moment. I liked S/H a lot in 2017 and 2019, but P/J developed very nicely over time. I like their classical lines and subtle chemistry. S/H's chemistry is more obviously romantic in a contemporary sort of way which is fine (I also like Virtue/Moir after all) but I find it interesting to see how P/J gets this connection across in an alternative way. P/J also have some gorgeous elements (e.g. axel lasso lift, death spiral, throw loop). That said, S/H's signature throw flip is really impressive.
This is a general comment since I haven't watched either of these programs as performed at worlds (but have watched them before, so): I don't think what S/H or P/J bring to the table is romance in the sense of "romantic love". Romance in the sense of prose, perhaps, where they bring mystery or adventure to their performances, and love in the sense of them being involved with each other. But I don't get the sense of "romantic love" from them. They both rather exude a more atmospheric, personal sense of connection, that really goes beyond the usual artifice. Like lifelong friends who really get each other.

I do agree this connection gets across in a different way from each of them though - but in so far that it's not just the classicism of P/J (though those are your words - I'd call them lyrical) or the contemporary leanings of S/H, but also in that Jin seems more brotherly towards Peng, while Sui and Han seem like those friends who we all know that like being mean to each other but can't be separated.

But then again, I never thought what P/C do is romantic either except for that one program (2019 FD).

Last edited:

rccr25

Rinkside
Oh well, yeah, for sure. People aren't obligated to love Sui/Han. Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't really reading through the whole long discussion:palmf:
I agree with your opinion. However, I think the point of the previous argument is that it is ok if others don't think the same as I do or you do. People aren't obligated to love Sui/ Han.