2022-23 GPF Senior Pairs Free Skate | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2022-23 GPF Senior Pairs Free Skate

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Pairs was kinda a mess, for most based on the individual jumps. Honestly, how can you expect 2 people to have extraordinary lifts, throws and spins and then also have jumps like a single skater. Personally, I'd like to see the throws stay at triples but the individual jumps be doubles in combination, maybe with some sort of creative twist in-between.

As for this competition, I think the placement was fair although my personal preference was Knierim and Frazier.
Or they could just put more focus into training jumps... Pyeongchang was one of the best pairs events in recent years and as a whole the SBS jumps were quite good. There's no reason why the current pairs can't work to match this level, it was just 4 years ago and nothing has changed to make the element less feasible. Why lower the bar?

Maybe we should reward SBS jumps more, not less, so it incentivises teams to not settle for YOLO triples and placeholder doubles (some of my favourite teams have this habit).

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Take a look at the protocols for the SP. Deanna and Max got no 4s for any of their elements, and had more 0s than 3s; their PCS scores are in the 7s. Maybe if they skated faster and if they could gain more amplitude with their throws, they would score higher. That performance was not deserving of a score in the 70s.

They got a higher score at SA because they skated better there. Since then, they have yet to repeat that SP performance. They scored 64.33 at GP France, and 69.34 here.
Is this a reply to someone, or are you just taking the opportunity to kick someone while they're down? If you're replying to something, why not quote it?

Also, what do the SP protocols have to do with the FP? Obviously the SP results do affect the overall results, but the SP protocols have nothing to do with the FP.

By the way, I very much like S-D/D, but I feel they didn't skate well in the FP and I am at peace with the results. In general, this FP was not a well skated event.

readernick

Medalist
I wasn’t upset by the SP scores and LP scores are fine, too. K/F were better technically. They deserved the TES lead. Their throws were noticeably better. Both had ugly SBS. M/K’s SS give them an advantage in the PCS. I don’t personally have a strong opinion about either LP. Neither is great yet, but neither is terrible either.

The final result was close and could have gone either way. It is hard to imagine any other team being in the running for silver/ gold at Worlds but at least we can expect a close competition between these two teams.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm late to the party here - and with nothing to do with skating - what is the gif that is being posted (relates to a TV show, I think)?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is this a reply to someone, or are you just taking the opportunity to kick someone while they're down? If you're replying to something, why not quote it?

Also, what do the SP protocols have to do with the FP? Obviously the SP results do affect the overall results, but the SP protocols have nothing to do with the FP.

By the way, I very much like S-D/D, but I feel they didn't skate well in the FP and I am at peace with the results. In general, this FP was not a well skated event.
I was replying to a poster who thought Deanna and Max were lowballed in the SP and if they had been scored 70+ they would have won the bronze medal instead of the Italians. Looking at the SP protocol, there is no way that program could have scored in the 70s. But that poster was wrong anyway---even if Deanna and Max had scored 72 in the SP instead of 69.43, the Italians beat them in the FS by 4.78---so a SP score gain of 2.56 wouldn't help.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Friday night is Date Night, so I'm just getting around to posting about yesterday's event.

Emily and Spencer – So well done, thank you for giving an emotional performance and a story for the audience to share, when you might have been totally focused on not making mistakes. I especially love how Spencer keeps performing, sharing the emotion of the piece, even during run-ups to the elements. For her part, Emily really shone performance-wise from the pairs spin on to the end. This was a beautiful redemption skate where C/H showed their technical and performance mettle and didn’t let the SP get them down. C/H don’t look like any other pair; they’re marching to the beat of their own drummer.

Rebecca and Filippo – Fun to watch their program to the Barber of Seville. I’m glad to see Italian pairs doing so well, and I’ve always loved that many Italians pay homage to their musical heritage.

Sara and Niccolo – It should be no surprise that I love this pair for their artistry and connection and devotion to their music and each other. Today I particularly noticed how their pairs spin is skated with the music, slowing down and being attentive to the nuances. Speed isn’t everything in spins; in fact, this one is so much more interesting to see, in my opinion. I will re-watch this program.

Deanna and Maxime -- Disappointing skate for S-D/D fans, but I agree with the judging. I think this event and this whole season is a learning experience for them, and perhaps for Deanna in particular. (Max was comforting her.) It seems to me that Deanna’s learning to value progress over time, and that's difficult; I empathize because I've also always like to see Good Results Right Now ... especially from myself. I especially love the elegance, the classy positions, Deanna’s gorgeous posture throughout, and the way she and Max match so beautifully.

Alexa and Brandon – I paid special attention to Brandon in this FS, and I’m still more convinced that he’s so good and shines in this, one of the more emotional programs. So it’s nice that they have the fierce SP for Alexa to shine, a good way of allowing their passions. Whether it works for each viewer, or whether one would rather a pair be more in synch with each other, is a personal choice.

Riku and Ryuichi – I love this pair more and more. I think they almost transcend their technical mistakes, and that may be one reason for their scores. Judges are human beings, and humans respond to passion. Sonya Bianchetti (?) said years ago that figure skating is about skaters transferring emotion to audiences through movement. For me, that’s the purpose of great technique; it serves art and emotion.

All these skaters were skating their first GPF. ETA correction: Alexa/Chris competed and finished 7th in the 2015-16 GPF.

Last edited: