2022/23 Ice Dance Technical Requirements (Jr. and Sr.) Announced | Golden Skate

2022/23 Ice Dance Technical Requirements (Jr. and Sr.) Announced

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
The ISU have published the ice dance requirements for the forthcoming season.

https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/28234-isu-communication-2468/file

Some brief quotes of the bits that stood out to me on first reading...

Rhythms:
Junior: Tango plus at least one of the following Dance Styles – Paso Doble, Flamenco, Spanish Waltz, Fandango, Bolero, Jota, Sevillanas, Milonga
• The Pattern Dance Element - Argentine Tango - skated to Tango rhythm, with the range of tempo: 24 measures of 4 beats per minute (96 beats per minute)
plus or minus 2 beats per minute
Senior: Latin Dance Styles: At Least Two (2) Different Dance Styles/Rhythms chosen from Salsa, Bachata, Merengue, Mambo, Cha Cha, Rhumba, Samba
• The Pattern Dance Type Step Sequence and Step Sequence must be skated to a different Latin Style/Rhythm

Seniors RD:
Seniors have no set pattern, as was rumoured. Instead, it is replaced by a pattern type step (Type D):
Technical Requirements:
Must perform two different difficult turns per partner from the following: Rocker, Counter, Choctaw, Outside Mohawk.
Only the first two attempted Different Difficult Turns per partner selected from those above are considered for level.
Not permitted:
• Stops (only allowed at the beginning to indicate the start of the PSt, If a stop of longer than 5 seconds is used to start the
PSt, no other stops are permitted throughout the program.)
• Separations (except during Twizzles if performed as connecting choreography)
• Hand in hand hold – NOT permitted with established fully extended arms
The PSt is evaluated as one unit with a combined Level for both partners
and a Choreographic Rhythm Sequence, which is evaluated as a choreographic element and must be skated mostly in hold:
• Choreographic Rhythm Sequence
Rhythm:
skated to any of designated Latin Rhythm/Style and performed in the “style” of the chosen Rhythm
Hold(s):
in Hold including Hand in Hand with Fully extended arms with the exception of permitted Separation(s)
Pattern:
- starts on the Short Axis,
- proceed 10 meters on either side of the Short Axis
- proceed from barrier to barrier
The Choreographic Rhythm Sequence is evaluated as a Choreographic Element

Lifts
A small change to the lift rules...
The lifted partner’s pose or change of pose in the RD Short Lift must be different from the same type of Short Lift in the FD or part of the same type of lift in the Combo Lift.

FD Step Sequence
Step Sequence in Hold (Style B)
The Step Sequence is evaluated as one unit by adding the Base Values of the Woman Step Sequence Level and the Man Step Sequence Level and then applying the GOE.
So rather than one level for the whole step seq, the man and woman now get a level each (like in the twizzles and one foot step seq).

New Choreo Element: Assisted Jumps:
Choreographic Assisted Jumps: at least three assisted jumps performed in a row
The following requirements apply:
- At least three in a row (same or different)
- Cannot rotate more than 1 ½ rotations in each assisted jump by the assisting partner
- Less than three seconds off the ice for assisted partner
- No more than three (3) steps in between each assisted jump
- Either partner may do the assisted jumps

Edited to add more detail on step sequences.

Last edited:

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
My personal thoughts:

Loss of the pattern/new choreo rhythm sequence for seniors: 😭😭😭 I know the rumours said it was coming and now it's true. I'm glad they're at least having a 'pattern type step' but the new choreo rhythm sequence seems to me to be an opportunity for the judges to shower teams with GOE for little to no technical merit (similar to the choreo elements in the FD and presumably with the same BV?)

ETA: I can only hope that this is a 1 season experiment, rather than a final farewell to the patterns.

Lifts: a good change for the seniors, it's always nice to see new lifts. May impact newer Jr. (or weaker new Sr.) teams who haven't had the time to perfect multiple lifts.

FD step seq: not a fan of splitting the levels between the partners. It makes it easier for teams with one less technically able partner to still score big points, based on the ability of one partner alone.

New choreo element: I'd rather they'd gone down to having only 2 choreo elements in the Sr. FD (and added another proper step seq back), but if they're adamant they want 3 then adding another option is fine. It will be fun to see what some of the teams come up with.

Overall, it seems to me the ISU is determined to lower the importance of the technical side of ice dance. I'm so sad to see the pattern go, and to see it be replaced with another tech-lite choreo element.

Last edited:

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
First impressions: who’s brilliant idea was it to basically make juniors more exacting then seniors? Why give the juniors a challenging pattern when you’re eliminating it in seniors? This just seems incoherent. Also yes, I am very afraid this is just going to make it even more impossible for any teams to move up the rankings without political power or strong crowd support/favoritism.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
First impressions: who’s brilliant idea was it to basically make juniors more exacting then seniors? Why give the juniors a challenging pattern when you’re eliminating it in seniors? This just seems incoherent. Also yes, I am very afraid this is just going to make it even more impossible for any teams to move up the rankings without political power or strong crowd support/favoritism.
Completely agree. Teams like C/B, F/G and S/D* who either belong to a powerful fed and/or the current dominant school of ice dance, and who already get the judges' love are going to further benefit, while those who are constantly fighting for increments of a point to inch their way up the rankings are going to struggle even more.

*no hate aimed at any of these teams (nor are they the only teams to whom this applies), I fully blame the judging system for the issues in ice dance, not them as skaters.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Me three! I love the idea of any jump though. I am trying to get into dance, but I read those rules, and I am like... I guess we'll see lots of Tango and Latin dances? I am happy that there will be no more goose-stepping like this year.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Loss of the pattern/new choreo rhythm sequence for seniors: 😭😭😭 I know the rumours said it was coming and now it's true. I'm glad they're at least having a 'pattern type step' but the new choreo rhythm sequence seems to me to be an opportunity for the judges to shower teams with GOE for little to no technical merit (similar to the choreo elements in the FD and presumably with the same BV?)
Same here 😢 To me this is like the ice dance equivalent of that proposal to merge lutz and flip base value. I'm a bit afraid that as the technical roots keep eroding we'll eventually be left with dry-land dancing transferred to the rink (or freestyle/adagio pairs masquerading as ice dance).

I guess the 'pattern type step' is a way of replacing the function of the OD, giving a chance to create new patterns. But the OD existed alongside compulsories, so there was still some common benchmark for technical comparison. I'd rather they retained the actual pattern + new pattern type step together 😑

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Me three! I love the idea of any jump though. I am trying to get into dance, but I read those rules, and I am like... I guess we'll see lots of Tango and Latin dances? I am happy that there will be no more goose-stepping like this year.
I'm not exactly on board with the idea of jumps in ice dance. Having no jumps makes it easy to distinguish from the other disciplines, and I feel like it provides a refreshing change of pace. Ice dance has more of a focus on non-jump elements than other disciplines, so adding jumps seems pointless to me... I'd love to see some ice dance teams prove me wrong, but it really shouldn't be like everything else imo.

LoisAGOEs

Rinkside
Same question. I guess we'll find out soon, since every program will need three in a row.
Only if the teams choose to do the element. Juniors pick 2 of the 6 choreographic elements and Seniors pick 3 of the 6. Considering it’s a new addition you can imagine only a few teams will be attempting it, I imagine it won’t play to everyone’s style.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I'm not exactly on board with the idea of jumps in ice dance. Having no jumps makes it easy to distinguish from the other disciplines, and I feel like it provides a refreshing change of pace. Ice dance has more of a focus on non-jump elements than other disciplines, so adding jumps seems pointless to me... I'd love to see some ice dance teams prove me wrong, but it really shouldn't be like everything else imo.
Imagine, though, what the team of Muramoto/Takahashi could do if some jumping was allowed :)

I suspect he’s still got it!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think they already do them though, if you look at the description:

Choreographic Assisted Jumps: at least three assisted jumps performed in a row The following requirements apply: - At least three in a row (same or different) - Cannot rotate more than 1 ½ rotations in each assisted jump by the assisting partner - Less than three seconds off the ice for assisted partner - No more than three (3) steps in between each assisted jump - Either partner may do the assisted jumps

I think it's more like hops and leaps while the second partner provides support.

Or maybe I am just completely confused. :dbana:

But it sounds exciting! I hope some teams try it. I wanna see it.

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia
I wonder if pull Arabians would qualify as assisted jumps. If so, I might change my opinion.
I confess it was the first and only thing that came to my mind when I read "assisted jumps".

I've been wondering what the other assisted jump alternatives are :scratch2: