2022-23 Retirements, Splits and New Partnerships | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2022-23 Retirements, Splits and New Partnerships

Status
Not open for further replies.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The trouble is, Canadian and US coaches are generally very PC and therefore I don’t expect them to always share the full truth. Also, it is not good for their business to share all details. Whereas the gossip is often written by people training at the same rink and they usually know what’s going on and have no problem sharing it. Many information shared on all skating forums are leaked out by people from the rink and later turn out to be the truth. Whose partnership has broken up, who is trying out with a new partner, new partnerships etc.
the gossips shared on Russian forums were from people training at the same rink? that is amazing ! I agree that some coaches will be quite PC... I would put Bruno in the "quite honest, with some PC moments" category.

Last edited:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Anything GOEs tweet says this Russian news article says Stanislava Konstantinova has retired and will now coach

Stasya herself said she will not compete next season, but she did not make a final decision about the end of her career. https://www.instagram.com/p/CgmcsqRo0eO/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
She looked happy and fulfilled these past months holding master classes and choreographing programs. At least it seems very much like she is done with competitive skating for now.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States

thorag

On the Ice
Country
Iceland
Does anyone know if new pair Milania Väänänen (rep Finland with Mikail Akulovo) and her new partner Filippo Clerigi (ITA) will be representing Finland or Italy?

Sabine

On the Ice
Does anyone know if new pair Milania Väänänen (rep Finland with Mikail Akulovo) and her new partner Filippo Clerigi (ITA) will be representing Finland or Italy?
I think it will be Finland, but it's probably not official yet.

VickB

On the Ice
Vanessa James and Eric Radford have retired. Good luck to them in their new careers.

Battle of blades and pro world...

When will Canada get the Olympic team medal...

I suspect for the next Olympics... they might be asked to help the team event only plus they will get commercial sponsors $$$

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Battle of blades and pro world...

When will Canada get the Olympic team medal...

I suspect for the next Olympics... they might be asked to help the team event only plus they will get commercial sponsors $$$
What? J/R will not be coming back for the Olympics in 4 years. Hopefully, they will still be performing together and most likely coaching in Vanessa's case, choreographing in Eric's case.

The Canadians won the 2018 Team Olympic gold. Then, all their top skaters moved on, which necessarily led to rebuilding, particularly in pairs, women's, and men's disciplines. For 2026 Olympics, Canada will likely be improved in pairs and men's fields, while continuing to be strong in ice dance, with Lajoie/ Lagha developing, and perhaps the Danadians taking over if Piper/Paul retire after this season.

To be honest, even in ice dance, losing Virtue/Moir and Weaver/ Poje wasn't helpful over the last quad for Canada.

Last edited:

VickB

On the Ice
What? J/R will not be coming back for the Olympics in 4 years. Hopefully, they will still be performing together and most likely coaching in Vanessa's case, choreographing in Eric's case.

The Canadians won the 2018 Team Olympic gold. Then, all their top skaters moved on, which necessarily led to rebuilding, particularly in pairs, women's, and men's disciplines. For 2026 Olympics, Canada will likely be improved in pairs and men's fields, while continuing to be strong in ice dance, with Lajoie/ Lagha developing, and perhaps the Danadians taking over if Piper/Paul retire after this season.

To be honest, even in ice dance, losing Virtue/Moir and Weaver/ Poje wasn't helpful over the last quad for Canada.

Maybe just for Olympic team event.... and nothing else... SkateCanada could ask them...

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Maybe just for Olympic team event.... and nothing else... SkateCanada could ask them...
They couldn't really just compete in the team event.The only way is if Canada qualified 0 pairs teams (unlikely) but qualified athletes in the other 3 events, so needed to invite 1 pair to make up the team. Also, there several other pairs teams who will be in contention by 2026, so the fed are unlikely to need J/R that desperately.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
But, that's not feasible. It would have been feasible and very nice for their fans had we gotten to see J/R return for one more competitive season currently. But since they made the decision not to do so -- or, if there was no backing for them to do so (with Skate Canada possibly being excited about Daleman/ Zabiako instead), then they will surely not be coming back in four years to anchor the Olympic team.

Honestly, this past season was purely an unexpected bonus for J/R, which they cherish. Yet, as they admitted, they didn't anticipate how difficult it would be. Their respective past championship experiences helped them, but being new together is always a challenging adjustment. It takes time for pairs teams to know their partner under the pressures of competition.

Ironically, Zabiako/ Daleman, for some reason, did not work out. So the other senior teams on SC's roster will need to step-it-up. I think Stellato/ Deschamps and McIntosh/ Mimar may have a chance to establish themselves as Canada's top pairs teams over the next quad. Walsh/ Micheau are very competitive in the second tier. I'm less assured of W/M's long-term potential in battling against top international teams. ETA: I forgot to mention Matte/Ferland who have a lot of experience together over a number of years. That's probably one of their best assets, i.e., knowing each other so well and being well-matched. They are fun to watch when they are in a good groove. But one of their drawbacks has been competitive inconsistency. Plus, while M/F are capable, relatable, and they pick good music and choreo, they don't particularly have spectacular weapons to set themselves uniquely apart.

Regardless of what happens for Canadian pairs, we will not see J/R returning only for 2026 Olympic team competition. They would not be in competitive shape after retiring this year.

ETA:
And yes, after posting the above reply, I see that @GoneWithTheWind has further explained the impossibility in terms of the qualifying rules. Thanks!

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
As far as promising Canadian pairs teams, I forgot to mention the new partnership of Nic Nadeau and Emma Proft. I'm very interested to see how Nic will fare as a pairs skater. When his singles career was slowed and hampered by injuries, I was one of his admirers who thought he might be excellent in pairs, due to his height and to his singles talent. 🥰

Hopefully, we will see Proft/ Nadeau performing soon. Have they competed yet this summer?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
As far as promising Canadian pairs teams, I forgot to mention the new partnership of Nic Nadeau and Emma Proft. I'm very interested to see how Nic will fare as a pairs skater. When his singles career was slowed and hampered by injuries, I was one of his admirers who thought he might be excellent in pairs, due to his height and to his singles talent. 🥰

Hopefully, we will see Proft/ Nadeau performing soon. Have they competed yet this summer?
Should be within next couple of days. If you go to the Summer competitions threads, there is one about Quebec Summer competition. They will be debuting there.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I’m very interested as well. No they haven’t to my knowledge. I was hoping they’d be at Philly International but what can we do.

VickB

On the Ice
But, that's not feasible. It would have been feasible and very nice for their fans had we gotten to see J/R return for one more competitive season currently. But since they made the decision not to do so -- or, if there was no backing for them to do so (with Skate Canada possibly being excited about Daleman/ Zabiako instead), then they will surely not be coming back in four years to anchor the Olympic team.

Honestly, this past season was purely an unexpected bonus for J/R, which they cherish. Yet, as they admitted, they didn't anticipate how difficult it would be. Their respective past championship experiences helped them, but being new together is always a challenging adjustment. It takes time for pairs teams to know their partner under the pressures of competition.

Ironically, Zabiako/ Daleman, for some reason, did not work out. So the other senior teams on SC's roster will need to step-it-up. I think Stellato/ Deschamps and McIntosh/ Mimar may have a chance to establish themselves as Canada's top pairs teams over the next quad. Walsh/ Micheau are very competitive in the second tier. I'm less assured of W/M's long-term potential in battling against top international teams. ETA: I forgot to mention Matte/Ferland who have a lot of experience together over a number of years. That's probably one of their best assets, i.e., knowing each other so well and being well-matched. They are fun to watch when they are in a good groove. But one of their drawbacks has been competitive inconsistency. Plus, while M/F are capable, relatable, and they pick good music and choreo, they don't particularly have spectacular weapons to set themselves uniquely apart.

Regardless of what happens for Canadian pairs, we will not see J/R returning only for 2026 Olympic team competition. They would not be in competitive shape after retiring this year.

ETA:
And yes, after posting the above reply, I see that @GoneWithTheWind has further explained the impossibility in terms of the qualifying rules. Thanks!
Why is it taking so long for the IOC announced that Canada will get the Bronze medal and investigation would strip Russia from the team event.

And J/R would get Bronze in both Olympics and Worlds.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Why is it taking so long for the IOC announced that Canada will get the Bronze medal and investigation would strip Russia from the team event.

And J/R would get Bronze in both Olympics and Worlds.
Because what can’t be discussed in this section of the forum will have to be completed prior to that, hence the timeline is aligned with the things that can’t be discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.