2022 Olympics - Update on rules and restrictions for athletes and spectators | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics - Update on rules and restrictions for athletes and spectators

lappo

Final Flight
I didn't see a post about this in The edge section, so I made one... the rules for attendance at the Olympics are out and, as expected, they are quite strict.
- only spectators from Mainland China will be allowed to attend the Games;
- athletes and other partecipants (coaches and staff) must either be vaccinated or will be required to quarantine for 21 days before the competions;
- upon arrival, all partecipants will enter a bubble and will be tested daily.
I guess most of the athletes will have their vaccination by now or will rush to have one, since I cannot see how they could go three weeks without training prior to such an important competitions. At least, there will be a public even if at a reduced scale, unlike Tokyo, so this should be positive for the athletes' perfomances.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
My bad. I had posted this under the General info of the OG under the competitions. Here's my original post over there:

////////////
Some more info about the vaccination policy. Vaccines have to be recognised by WHO or related international organisations or approved officially by the countries or regions concerned.

FAejrokWUAEvzTs

Amei

Record Breaker
Well I'm glad that they came out with these protocols now so that all the athletes (not just figure skaters) are aware. But at least for figure skaters, it would be highly unlikely for a skater to undergo a 21 day quarantine which I assume would mean no access to ice to then get up to speed to compete for the Olympics in a short period of time - so I honestly do see how they could take an athlete that's unvaccinated.

readernick

Medalist
My only thought is that the Sputnik V vaccine better submit the requested paperwork to the WHO quickly and clean up it's production process , because as far as I am aware it so hasn't been approved because information about safety hasn't been submitted and the WHO has expressed concern about problems in manufacturing conditions. Thus, the Sputnik vaccine likely wouldn't be accepted by the Chinese government. Russian athletes better look into a second vaccination with a WHO approved vaccine.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
My only thought is that the Sputnik V vaccine better submit the requested paperwork to the WHO quickly and clean up it's production process , because as far as I am aware it so hasn't been approved because information about safety hasn't been submitted and the WHO has expressed concern about problems in manufacturing conditions. Thus, the Sputnik vaccine likely wouldn't be accepted by the Chinese government. If that doesn't happen, Russian athletes better look into a second vaccination with a WHO approved vaccine.

The bullet point about vaccines says "or approved by the countries or regions concerned" --- that's a little vague (and I'm not too interested to go Google right now to try and find clarification) but does that mean it has to be approved by China or can it be a vaccine that's approved by the athlete's country of origin? I would assume it's China - since why would Russia not approve their own vaccine. I would be surprised if China didn't approve/greenlight the Sputnik vaccine, China and Russia are political allies and its unlikely China would want to possibly upset that relationship.