United-States
Time to get the ice ready for the men!

solecism-t_rex.gif

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Who picks the consistently dreadful music these lovely people get saddled with? I suppose I should be glad they didn’t keep that horrible Woman thing from last season.

The taste is consistent though
It's probably not the best version of that song, and I love Rodgers and Hammerstein.

readernick

Medalist
Truly love Riku/ Ryuichi but I want to second the complaints about the music choices. They radiate joy on the ice. Why aren't the music choices joyful? Truly awful music for wonderful skaters. I was so hopeful for better programs this year. But, sadly, no, at least not the SP.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm finding the unpredictability and freshness of this GP pairs season amazing so far, but I will admit I've consumed 12 shots of brandy before each pairs event last weekend and again today.
Goodness me. Well ... I'm drinking Dasani on the Rocks :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
just here to say that Brooke McIntosh's sister, Summer, won the 400 M at the swimming world cup also held in Toronto this weekend... She beat legendary Katie Ledecky!!!! WOW! Sorry for the interruption... I will be catching up the pairs after I get caught up on dance ...

BUT YEAH.. what a talented family... and I wonder how the parents were able to split up today to watch both their daughters...

rain

Record Breaker
just here to say that Brooke McIntosh's sister, Summer, won the 400 M at the swimming world cup also held in Toronto this weekend... She beat legendary Katie Ledecky!!!! WOW! Sorry for the interruption... I will be catching up the pairs after I get caught up on dance ...

BUT YEAH.. what a talented family... and I wonder how the parents were able to split up today to watch both their daughters...
Wow, I had no idea they were sisters!

rain

Record Breaker
I confess, the Japanese team doesn't do much for me. I just can't get over their awful music.

Both of the young Canadian teams look very promising for the future. Suddenly the pairs discipline in Canada isn't looking so dismal.

Thought Chan/Howe seemed quite generously scored. Like the commentator, in real time I thought she definitely had a touchdown on the throw and was under on the side-by-sides. While this may not have actually been the case when seen in slo-mo, it did affect the impression of the program.

Liked Conti/Macii, and you could tell that Efimova/Blommaert are a better team than that skate.

Overall, I was pretty impressed with the quality of everyone's twists, less than impressed with almost everyone's footwork sequences (some of them looked like they were struggling to do the moves) and I love side by side spins. It's so difficult for teams to get them in synch, but when they do they are poetry.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
8 a.m. Things to do today: Watch skate Canada pairs SP - done. I realized the monster got some pairs, but the top three could drive it away. I cannot say my favourite, but maybe the US and Italian pair made impression this time. I hope Efimova gets her jumps landed when season goes further.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Catching up on the pairs now (I should be going to the gym though...)

Nice to see Jelizeveta and Martin again! Their music was a bit tepid though.

Hey let's rock ALL Night long with the first Canadian pair!

I read that German pair had a terrible fall so a bit worried about watching them, oh wait there it is. Hmm, it doesn't look that awful? But maybe Alisa is just really good at hiding discomfortable. Shame because it's a nice program, I love Alisa's dress.

The second Candian pair I didn't really pay attention to because I'm uncool, but they got some great stuffies for their work :p

Second group now, looking foward to Valentina and Maximiliano! I really loved them last week at Skate America.

Although the roll up cuffs of Maximiliano's pants really bothers me for some reason. But 3Twist level 4! Noice. SBS not so much... The spin was quite nice, but yeah Max does something weird with the Death Spiral, not sure what it is though :laugh2:

In other news I'm distracted by the slight sunburn I got today, oh dear...I hope it doesn't get worse :eek:

An Italian pair! Not sure about Sara's top with the skin matching fabric :laugh2: but overall they did a really good job. As the score shows!

Emily and Spencer look ready to slay, loving the red and black costumes. I've just noticed Spencer seems to do the same foot thing in the Death Spiral...like the non-pivoting foot doesn't move smoothly in a circle, it's not supposed to do that right? But! we've got a step sequence here! Love me some flamenco rhythm!

Gooooo Riku and Ryuichi! Fabulous costumes...and Elvis huh? I feel like a cover might be incoming....Oh wait it's not, well I respect that! Also it's fab how much Ryuichi seems to be enjoying himself out there! And his foot placement on the Death Spiral is just right :biggrin:. Like Mark says charming! Also Japanese flags waving! Always a highlight. Aww and what a sweet story behind their program.

Ah gotta love pairs, so many styles to enjoy!

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Gooooo Riku and Ryuichi! Fabulous costumes...and Elvis huh? I feel like a cover might be incoming....Oh wait it's not, well I respect that! Also it's fab how much Ryuichi seems to be enjoying himself out there! And his foot placement on the Death Spiral is just right :biggrin:. Like Mark says charming! Also Japanese flags waving! Always a highlight. Aww and what a sweet story behind their program.
Technically, they're using an Elvis cover since 'You'll Never Walk Alone' is from the musical 'Carousel.' :)