2023 CS Finlandia Trophy Men's Free Skate | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2023 CS Finlandia Trophy Men's Free Skate

Dawn825

Medalist
Only got to watch now, Shun was great but Kao was brilliant. What a dynamic program, the kind that an audience can rlly get behind. I'm rooting for him!!

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
He needs to look at Jason Brown's Stars on Ice program to the backstreet boys and get some inspiration from that.

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
At some point, figure skating is going to have to address cultural appropriation. I'm not sure that it is appropriate for Lukas to be wearing an African pattern as his costume when it is not his culture, much less imitating African dance moves during this program (it was an issue in parts of Fear & Gibson's Lion King program as well). As much as I like this piece of music and he does a good job with it, I'm left wondering if it is now considered appropriate. It's an interesting question that I think needs some discussion.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
At some point, figure skating is going to have to address cultural appropriation. I'm not sure that it is appropriate for Lukas to be wearing an African pattern as his costume when it is not his culture, much less imitating African dance moves during this program (it was an issue in parts of Fear & Gibson's Lion King program as well). As much as I like this piece of music and he does a good job with it, I'm left wondering if it is now considered appropriate. It's an interesting question that I think needs some discussion.
But tiptoeing carefully, because any discussion of that sort has the potential to turn rancourous quite quickly. I was initially involved in a similar discussion in the opera world that rapidly got quite nasty, as in "So you're saying only a Japanese soprano is permitted to sing Butterfly?" Or "You're saying Aida can only be sung by an entire cast of Egyptian singers?" and the like. If everyone stays polite, it can be useful, but there needs to be a "Warning:Thin Ice" sign. (But no one except the Kerrs could have done their 2008 OD with John in a kilt :jump::laugh:, and I doubt if anyone else non-Scottish would try, in spite of the number of non-Irish skaters who've used Riverdance. My partner and I did use Lucia di Lammermoor -- composed by an Italian ;) -- with a bit of the Skye Boat Song one year, but we were both Scots by birth and ancestry, growing up in Canada.)

[Tried to add the YouTube video of the Kerrs' OD in 2008 and can't get it to work. Could someone post it, please? I was, in a modest way, helping support them financially at the time, and their mother and I got quite a laugh out of the extroverted John's enthusiasm about his costume :pray:]

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He needs to look at Jason Brown's Stars on Ice program to the backstreet boys and get some inspiration from that.

If you are talking about Nikita, Jason is one of his favorite skaters and although he didn't know about the BSB exhibition when he chose his SP music, he was thrilled to learn about it. I wouldn't be surprised if it did influence some of his choreo. I quite like Nikita's program, but then again I like Nikita.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But tiptoeing carefully, because any discussion of that sort has the potential to turn rancourous quite quickly. I was initially involved in a similar discussion in the opera world that rapidly got quite nasty, as in "So you're saying only a Japanese soprano is permitted to sing Butterfly?" Or "You're saying Aida can only be sung by an entire cast of Egyptian singers?" and the like. If everyone stays polite, it can be useful, but there needs to be a "Warning:Thin Ice" sign. (But no one except the Kerrs could have done their 2008 OD with John in a kilt :jump::laugh:, and I doubt if anyone else non-Scottish would try, in spite of the number of non-Irish skaters who've used Riverdance. My partner and I did use Lucia di Lammermoor -- composed by an Italian ;) -- with a bit of the Skye Boat Song one year, but we were both Scots by birth and ancestry, growing up in Canada.)

[Tried to add the YouTube video of the Kerrs' OD in 2008 and can't get it to work. Could someone post it, please? I was, in a modest way, helping support them financially at the time, and their mother and I got quite a laugh out of the extroverted John's enthusiasm about his costume :pray:]

Do you know if there is a Kerr family tartan, and did John use it?

My paternal grandmother was born a Campbell, so I assume she was of Scottish descent. Then again, the Stewarts that are so prevalent in my maternal line all emigrated from Ireland, so we know what assumptions do out of you and me ;)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Do you know if there is a Kerr family tartan, and did John use it?

My paternal grandmother was born a Campbell, so I assume she was of Scottish descent. Then again, the Stewarts that are so prevalent in my maternal line all emigrated from Ireland, so we know what assumptions do out of you and me ;)

There is, and they both did, or at least a variant of it. And of course his bike shorts underneath -- which you can see him flashing to the fans after :eek: -- were quite untraditional ;). Most tartans come in several versions, Ancient (more muted colours), Modern, (bright colours), Hunting (usually dark greens with the tartan's colours woven in as thin threads) and so forth. Tartans for everybody really only proliferated in the 19th century -- oh, don't get me started on a mini-thesis, very much off topic! Anyway, my partner and I used a sash or cummerbund of the McIntosh tartan which is a nice bright red and happened to be a surname found on both our family trees.

Your Stewarts were probably "Ulster Scots", the Protestant Scottish settlers who were parachuted in to take over land appropriated from the northern Irish in the 17th century, and we won't dive into that kettle of fish either here. Lots of Macdonalds in Northern Ireland, for instance. The Macdonalds and the Campbells were the two biggest clans in the Highlands, so your granny would certainly have had Scottish ancestors. They could have moved elsewhere long ago, though. I'm still trying to convince my neighbour that his ultimate ancestry is Scottish, the name Buchanan being very Scots Gaelic and the Buchanan territory being around the southern tip of Loch Lomond, but he's adamant his ancestry is English, from centuries of living south of the Border. (The England/Scotland border, that is :).)

:ot::ot::ot:Mea culpa and all that. Too many years in academia. But thank you for the video clip. The kids loved doing that program and I always love watching it.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
ok.. so i guess this is it for now....
i watched volleyball in the middle of the night and gymnastics this morning... i wonder if i can watch something else... since i cannot move much still (but getting better).
Well, supposedly visualizing a skating program while one is injured gives some degree of muscle exercise. Imagine yourself playing along with what you're watching and maybe your body will convince itself it's improving? :console:

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Lukas has some childhood experience about Africa, I think it was GS ig where I read the interview, but don't have time to search for it now.