2023 GP Espoo Entries | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2023 GP Espoo Entries

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Lorine is already assigned to Espoo. I hope Gutmann gets the spot.
Yes, I forgot and forgot to check. She had one spot and got a host spot.

I think we will know quite soon if Valtter gets the spot, they just must contact him and maybe do some paperwork before the replacements can be announced.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Valtter is at Warsaw Cup's participant list. Maybe it is his own decision to go there instead? He has been twice in GP and CS has same value as GP for selections for Euros if we look at federation's rules, so maybe he just wants to go to Poland.

CrazyKittenLady

Thanks for skating, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Valtter is at Warsaw Cup's participant list. Maybe it is his own decision to go there instead? He has been twice in GP and CS has same value as GP for selections for Euros if we look at federation's rules, so maybe he just wants to go to Poland.
He'd rather go to a Challenger in Poland instead of a GP in front of his home crowd? Sounds unlikely, imo.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
He'd rather go to a Challenger in Poland instead of a GP in front of his home crowd? Sounds unlikely, imo.
Well, he had dones Worlds, Euros, and 2xGP in front of the home crowd. Is it a little bit easier to get good scores in CS than in GP? These are only speculations and guesses. I cannot think any reason why local fed would not have given the spot to him, so the decision must be made by ISU or by himself.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Still more speculation. Shmuratko is also in Warsaw and Kyrylo Marsak is also there. Maybe it is about Kyrylo why Valtter and Alina will go Warsaw, too. But they will never tell us, if the skaters themselves won't.

CrazyKittenLady

Thanks for skating, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Maybe it is about Kyrylo why Valtter and Alina will go Warsaw, too. But they will never tell us, if the skaters themselves won't.
That's true, Kyrylo and Valtter usually go to the same competitions, which makes sense, since they are with the same coaching team. They are also both on the entry list for Tallinn Trophy later in November.

More speculation or thoughts on entries for the GP Espoo: I hope Litvintsev will make it. He was supposed to compete at Volvo Open in Riga last weekend, but was a no-show. They literally called his name for the warm-up and waited a couple of minutes before he was automatically withdrawn. It's very likely that he didn't get an EU visa, and I worry whether he will get it in time for Finland.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That doesn't sit well with me. I like Liam's skating but yeah. I like my son better. I would have been fine with VV or KM or IS getting a spot because of home/training location... but if picking from the replacement list, Conrad is being looked down, already passed by 3 skaters lower than him... same with Mark G who actually is having a pretty good season missing what, one jump the entire year or so ! (OKay maybe i am exaggerating but he has been very consistent). Liam did just a bit better than Conrad at SCI, about 7 points higher... no real quads... I am puzzled with this choice really. Liam has pretty much no chances of being on the world team for the USA. Conrad is fighting for his spot, was on the world team last year. I don't know. Sure, he had an average outing but he did land 4 quads across two programs and his SP was pretty well performed. I am sad.

Last edited:

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
That doesn't sit well with me. I like Liam's skating but yeah. I like my son better. I would have been fine with VV or KM or IS getting a spot because of home/training location... but if picking from the replacement list, Conrad is being looked down, already passed by 3 skaters lower than him... same with Mark G who actually is having a pretty good season missing what, one jump the entire year or so ! (OKay maybe i am exaggerating but he has been very consistent). Liam did just a bit better than Conrad at SCI, about 7 points higher... no real quads... I am puzzled with this choice really. Liam has pretty much no chances of being on the world team for the USA. Conrad is fighting for his spot, was on the world team last year. I don't know. Sure, he had an average outing but he did land 4 quads across two programs and his SP was pretty well performed. I am sad.
KM has done JGP if you mean Kyrylo so he cannot get GP spots. It can be also something in skaters' personal life that they are not ready in so short time. Intetesting that Andreas was replaced so quickly but in women we still must wait.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
KM has done JGP if you mean Kyrylo so he cannot get GP spots. It can be also something in skaters' personal life that they are not ready in so short time. Intetesting that Andreas was replaced so quickly but in women we still must wait.
forgot about KM and JGP... so corrected my post. The rest of my comment still holds true. :) At this point, I am so deflated for Conrad that I cannot think straight. No idea which woman will be invited.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Valtter Virtanen was far too down on the replacement list. It has to be one of the current top 10, and Kapeikis was #6 at the moment.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
So yeah... Conrad has been passed over by two of his compatriots, though technically, with Keegan's retirement, he should be the leading man for Canada (and with Roman's injury). He has been passed over as well by Liam, not sure what Espoo found more interesting in him than in the others like Mark or Conrad or Takeru or Naumov who are all above him on the list... very strange no ?

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Valtter Virtanen was far too down on the replacement list. It has to be one of the current top 10, and Kapeikis was #6 at the moment.
We were talking about the host spot. Andreas got two assignments. He was too far from top skaters to get two so it was a strong guess Finland gave him a host spot.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
One thing, Jontor's list is by personal best, but does ISU give the spots by world rankings? Then the skaters are in quite different order.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
We were talking about the host spot. Andreas got two assignments. He was too far from top skaters to get two so it was a strong guess Finland gave him a host spot.
But that's the thing I don't know. Once the spot is given out to another nation, it's no longer a "host spot" is it? So I am not even sure Virtanen was eligible. Replacements for international entries is top 10 from replacement list.
One thing, Jontor's list is by personal best, but does ISU give the spots by world rankings? Then the skaters are in quite different order.
At this point, we are only interested in season's best scores. It goes with top 12 twelve at worlds : they get 2 spots. Then you have top 24 in world standing, guaranteed 1 spot but usually will get 2. Then it goes with top 75 season's best score. At this point, the replacement list is really in order of season's best score and not world ranking.

Jontor is indeed doing it right. Alex Rus's list explains things in details. https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/entries-and-substitutes-of-all-events.96554/

Last edited: