2023 Grand Prix Espoo: Pairs' Thoughts? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2023 Grand Prix Espoo: Pairs' Thoughts?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Germans are a very classic looking pair. Lightest twist I've seen in a long time.

Yes, their classic lines and movement are two of the things that I love about Minerva and Nikita. Chelsea Liu and Balazs Nagy also have an equally light, high, and well-executed twist. Both teams get "oohs" and sighs for their twists.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Just caught up and woah that first group in the free was alarming to watch.

I'm not sure about Conti and Macii being second, they have lovely presentation when they skate well, but I think that side of them wasn't really showing at this competition. Perhaps the Hungarians should've been ahead?

Really enjoyed the free from the Chinese team, they're going to be a force to be reckoned with pretty soon!
The German team were magnificent. They manage to make their twist look almost delicate in the free skate- I don't think I've seen that before. They have some amazing transitions into the lifts too. Is it too soon to think they could be this year's European champions?

I think Mcintosh and Mimar going back to the previous free skate is a good idea, just a shame they had a bit of nightmare here. But how she landed that throw jump after that fall showed a great deal of courage.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Really enjoyed the free from the Chinese team, they're going to be a force to be reckoned with pretty soon!
The German team were magnificent. They manage to make their twist look almost delicate in the free skate- I don't think I've seen that before. They have some amazing transitions into the lifts too. Is it too soon to think they could be this year's European champions?
The Georgians will want that European title too - And even though I much prefer the Germans, the Georgians have been very consistent on the technical side.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with what you said. Except R & Z never did throws, they had extra lifts and a gigantic 3Twist. That is why the battle with Tai & Randy was expected to be so interesting as they had two throws a 2A and 3S and 2Twist. We will never know how that would’ve turned out. I followed the same teams since 1976.
:console: No fair making me ugly cry over Tai and Randy. Still brings a tear to my eye. More than Rodnina & Zaitsev specifically, I'm idealizing that era I suppose! When you peel back the layers and look at the tech, well -- it definitely WAS a different era. Case in point -- last week I pulled out my old VHS 1988 Calgary skating highlights video, dusted if off, and watched Gordeeva & Grinkov. 16 year old Katia flying across the ice. Sigh...I want those programs that didn't seem so formulaic and where the women didn't have to grab their skate. :drama:

:ot:Sorry for the OT here. Agree, that showdown would have been epic. Feels good to reminisce about pairs. Dare I go out on a limb and say I think Tai and Randy would have won! :slink: