2023 Japan Open | Oct 7 | Golden Skate

2023 Japan Open | Oct 7

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2023 Japan Open is an annual invitational senior international figure skating team competition set to take place on Oct. 7, 2023, in Saitama, Japan. The current format (team event) was established in 2006 and is the competition is held every autumn in Japan. Invited skaters compete in the disciplines of men's and ladies' singles. Skaters perform a free program but no short. Individual results are combined for a team standing.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Time to get out my annual drum and plead with the universe to remember that inviting Donovan means we could have three countries represent Team North America!

Yes.... I really want to see Donovan get an invite to this.... someday.
well... let's see if there are even 2 countries representing North America this year ... The last time a Canadian skater was invited was in 2015... Patrick Chan... yeah.. not just anyone but a 3 time world champion and olympic medalist. It's been all USA since 2016.

ETA : just to clarify, there is an odd possibility that Canadian skaters were invited and opted out. However, if that could happen once in a while, it seems to much, 8 years without Canadian skaters, to be the case.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
well... let's see if there are even 2 countries representing North America this year ... The last time a Canadian skater was invited was in 2015... Patrick Chan... yeah.. not just anyone but a 3 time world champion and olympic medalist. It's been all USA since 2016.

Ohh for the love of.... i did not recall it had been that long.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
4everchan - I was wondering for the last few years why the pretense of calling it Team North America- why not just call it Team USA. ;-)
They can call it however they want. I lost interest. It's also usually just a LP and hard to watch online... The thing that irked me the most is that, of course, they may want medalists or stars... but then they bypassed Kaetlyn and Gabby when both were at their peak. So yeah...

Let's see.. they may invite Keegan now.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Don't they just invite the ones that are either known names - or that they want to make known names - in Japan? Mostly the same ones who get show invites.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Don't they just invite the ones that are either known names - or that they want to make known names - in Japan? Mostly the same ones who get show invites.
It's not quite that simple... and it's not like Canada has not provided any popular skaters or champions since 2015. In the past, there was an effort to invite Canadian skaters and American skaters. Lately, not so much. As mentioned, Osmond and Daleman were never invited despite their worlds and olympic successes. Keegan was never invited and he has Japanese ancestry and is popular all over the world. Kevin Reynolds is extremely popular with Japanese fans (he speaks some Japanese) and was never invited back then. Of course, he didn't get world medals but he is an olympic silver team medalist and a 4CC champ, which ranks him above Jeremy Abbott who has been there several times... mind you, I personally prefer Abbott.. but it's just to show that it seems that it takes a Patrick Chan, a Jeff Buttle or a Joannie Rochette to make it if you are Canadian.

If I want to play the naïve card, I will just assume that they were invited but declined.... and honestly, I wouldn't care so much but my reaction was triggered by someone asking for Donovan to be invited so that 3 nations from North America could make the team.. and I would be pleased if one skater every year was Canadian you know... It's hard to understand how someone like Osmond was never selected and skaters without any world medals like Bell, Tennell or even Mirai Nagasu -though I will give the latter a pass because of her Japanese background, have been going often...

I mean Bebe Liang and Agnes Z were invited in the past. On what basis? If you go down that route, Schizas, is just as worthy.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
in any case... we will see what the line-up is this year... and then, we will see if this event can be renamed Japan (not) Open (to Canadians) :laugh2:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My predictions on who will be invited to Japan Open

Japan... Shoma, Kao, Kaori and Mai
Team USA. Ilia, Jason, Isabeau and Bradie
Team Europe. Leona and Kurakova, Deniss and Matteo. (I would pick Kevin or Adam, but French Masters is usually the same weekend)

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
I am curious how you know the Candian skaters was, is never invited. Are u the skaters coaches or anyone related to the Japan Open that invite them? (Agents). Don't the skaters have a choice to turn down or say yes. By blindly stating that don't invite Canadian skaters are u implying something against American and or other skaters not chosen. Do u know how they ask them or the criteria to be ask? I am a casual fan that doesn't have access to knowing who or how Japan open skaters receive invitation.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am curious how you know the Candian skaters was, is never invited. Are u the skaters coaches or anyone related to the Japan Open that invite them? (Agents). Don't the skaters have a choice to turn down or say yes. By blindly stating that don't invite Canadian skaters are u implying something against American and or other skaters not chosen. Do u know how they ask them or the criteria to be ask? I am a casual fan that doesn't have access to knowing who or how Japan open skaters receive invitation.
I am guessing you are asking me.

I am not saying they were NOT INVITED. I am saying that since 2015, no Canadian skaters have been participating. I am also a casual fan and not in the loop. So, perhaps, some Canadian skaters have been invited and decided not to participate. However, as I understand things, there is money involved, and I doubt that our Canadian skaters, with the very limited support they get from the federation would refuse money and performance opportunities in Japan.

Let's play the role of event organiser because, though I don't do this in figure skating, I am in performing arts and I know a few things about how it works. As an event organiser, I would make sure that Canada is represented every year... or at least, not completely absent for nearly a decade... Why? BUSINESS. As a Canadian fan, I have fond memories of the Buttle, Rochette and Chan years at Japan Open... I would hunt down videos, read anything I could find about that... Nowadays, my personal interest is declining... Perhaps the Canadian market is not important enough.. but wouldn't the Japanese fans enjoy skaters from the country that produce Olympic team gold medal in 2018? It serves the event organisers to have a roster that represents diverse countries... it is as simple as that. Business 101.

So even if a Canadian skater is not available, there are more than just one skater who does fit the profile. It's not an event exclusively reserved to worlds top finishers or GPF finalists as you can see with some of the skaters I have listed that participated in previous years. Let's not forget that retired skaters are often invited too.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Team Europe. Leona and Kurakova, Deniss and Matteo. (I would pick Kevin or Adam, but French Masters is usually the same weekend)
I am wondering about Nobu Oda... maybe he could be invited...

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States

Maybe not Ilia & Isabeau, since this event is pretty close to Skate America & requires difficult travel.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree the timing is not be ideal for skaters assigned to Skate America, but I believe Japan Open comes with a good payday ($20,000 per skater on winning team, $15,000 for second place).

There is a two week gap, and the invited skaters may decide it is (literally) worth it.

gleungc6

On the Ice
I’m not sure this is particularly realistic but I’d love it if Daisuke did some kind of exhibition skate or the like!

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Its a good payday so I do not think many skaters would turn it down, maybe injuries and the French Skaters have a domestic competition, French Masters. It is one of the best competitions for the skaters.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
in any case... we will see what the line-up is this year... and then, we will see if this event can be renamed Japan (not) Open (to Canadians) :laugh2:
Now that I think on it... when was the last time any non-US North American in the singles disciplines were in any invite only (JO, show etc) event in Japan? I think it was Elladj, can't remember when though.

And it's only a very small number of favoured US ones too, I can only think of about four or maybe five, the 'trendy' names of the moment. The invitations seem to have simply shrunk.

And am I opening a can of worms I shouldn't? (I'd like to see Kevin, and Elladj again.)

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
It's not quite that simple... and it's not like Canada has not provided any popular skaters or champions since 2015. In the past, there was an effort to invite Canadian skaters and American skaters. Lately, not so much. As mentioned, Osmond and Daleman were never invited despite their worlds and olympic successes. Keegan was never invited and he has Japanese ancestry and is popular all over the world. Kevin Reynolds is extremely popular with Japanese fans (he speaks some Japanese) and was never invited back then. Of course, he didn't get world medals but he is an olympic silver team medalist and a 4CC champ, which ranks him above Jeremy Abbott who has been there several times... mind you, I personally prefer Abbott.. but it's just to show that it seems that it takes a Patrick Chan, a Jeff Buttle or a Joannie Rochette to make it if you are Canadian.

If I want to play the naïve card, I will just assume that they were invited but declined.... and honestly, I wouldn't care so much but my reaction was triggered by someone asking for Donovan to be invited so that 3 nations from North America could make the team.. and I would be pleased if one skater every year was Canadian you know... It's hard to understand how someone like Osmond was never selected and skaters without any world medals like Bell, Tennell or even Mirai Nagasu -though I will give the latter a pass because of her Japanese background, have been going often...

I mean Bebe Liang and Agnes Z were invited in the past. On what basis? If you go down that route, Schizas, is just as worthy.

I truly apologize for any upset I caused. I can assure you... the lack of Canadian skaters certainly annoys me as well. When I said I want three countries, I meant it. Donovan getting an invite but not a Canadian would frustrate the heck out of me. While I love Donovan and would love to see him there, I said three countries because i mean THREE COUNTRIES. I would see it as symbolically growing the sport... and that does not work when you just swap countries. I promise I am 100% on team include Canada at the JO.