2023 Skate America: General Info | Golden Skate

2023 Skate America: General Info

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2023 Skate America is the first event of the 2023-24 Grand Prix series and is scheduled to take place Oct. 20-22, 2023, in Allen, Texas, at the Credit Union of Texas Event Center. The ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series consists of six international senior invitational events and culminates with the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final in December.

Competitors collect points in their individual Grand Prix events towards the qualification for the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final. Only the top six skaters/teams in each discipline can qualify for the Final.

Skaters are seeded and invited to the six Grand Prix of Figure Skating events based on the results obtained at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2023. Skaters/teams who have placed first through sixth in each of the four categories are seeded and assigned to two events. Skaters/teams who have placed seventh through 12th at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships are selected for two ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events. Skaters with a top 24 Season Best Scores (from the 2022/23 season), as well as those placed in the top 24 of the ISU World Standings, can also be invited.

In order for a skater/team to be eligible to compete at an ISU Grand Prix event, a minimum total score must have been achieved in the 2022/23 or current 2023/24 season in an ISU event (Grand Prix, Junior Grand Prix, Championships) or a Challenger Series event. Exceptions apply to host country skaters, previously ranked skaters or split ranked couples who return with new partners.

Last edited:

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Does anyone know where the kiss & cry will be located at skate america? The only thing i see marked is the officials’ area.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@elektra blue Look Humana cacti gear!

IMG_2250.jpeg

Seven Sisters

Medalist
That is hilarious. Why is it a woman’s white skate pictured with the cactus, though? I would have thought they’d choose a men’s skate, in black, for that design.

Is this omission a subtle wish for the men to skate clean, and thereby lose their cactus spines and stickers, if only for one comp? Wishful thinking, if so!

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
they have a clear idea of their team i see :LOL:
That is hilarious. Why is it a woman’s white skate pictured with the cactus, though? I would have thought they’d choose a men’s skate, in black, for that design.

Is this omission a subtle wish for the men to skate clean, and thereby lose their cactus spines and stickers, if only for one comp? Wishful thinking, if so!
because girls can do everything men can do :LOL:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can't believe SA is less than two weeks away. It feels like only a few months since last years SA in Norwood, MA, which I was lucky to attend.

I hope everyone who is attending this year has an amazing time! Looking forward to reading the live reports and watching online and enjoying from my laptop.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Oh, I would love one of the T-shirts.

Of course the fact that there is a 🌵 cactus on it is part of the reason. But, it was only when I saw the T-shirt that I found out where Skate America is being held this year. Allen, in Texas. And that name being on it is the other part of the reason. My Granda, who I was very close to but who died when I was 10, was called Allen.

Come to think of it, Granda was given his Mum's maiden name as his first name. So, I wonder if the guy the city is named after, Ebenezer Allen, is a distant relative...

But, I'll not be ordering one. Apart from the fact that I wouldn't pay £30 for a T-shirt anyway, they don't ship internationally unless it is to an army base. (You can put in an international billing address, but you can't put in an international delivery address).

Oh well!

CaroLiza_fan

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's a black skate on the gray long-sleeved shirt and the powder blue short-sleeved.

I'm seriously thinking of ordering one. :)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Now, now. Jackie Wong will tell you skates aren't gendered.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone know how to get into the practices Thursday? What time they are? Anything?

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Does anyone know how to get into the practices Thursday? What time they are? Anything?
I don't know how to get into the practices but for the coloured schedule see post #2 above. I am hoping the will call tickets can be picked up on Thursday and they will include something to get into the practices.

chris7

Spectator
I just saw that the merch is “online only”. Wow, so I guess I can’t expect to pick anything up at the event?

chris7

Spectator
I’m having to play it by ear Friday night (Pairs Short, Men’s Short), so I haven’t purchased tickets for that. I heard the box office will open an hour before so I’m guessing I can just purchase tickets then if I’m able to go. Does anyone know if the seats that are “locked” on the chart (but not grayed out) are actually sold (or being used in some way)? Do “locked” seats sometimes become available right before an event? I would think that if one of those was still showing the lock symbol as opposed to being grayed out, that it’s still unsold. Hope this makes sense! :)

Last edited: