2024 U.S. Nationals Men's Free Skate | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2024 U.S. Nationals Men's Free Skate

cailuj365

On the Ice
This was the first real bad skate from Ilia all season, but if he's going to do it, best to do it at Nationals where he has little real competition. It kind of ruins the NBC and media hype story, but I think he can bounce back if he finds a way to fix the boot issues. He can't use these old boots forever. I also love how his bad skates still include 3 gorgeous quads, including the 4A, and a 3Lz-3A-3T. He should just plan to do that last combo every year at Nationals. Make it a tradition. :LOL: It's nice too that he wasn't too hard on himself. Compare his reaction at the end this year to the one last year where he was really devastated and didn't even smile. I think the lack of pressure also makes him lose focus, so he'll need to learn how to deliver in all settings.

Jason Brown - beautiful human being, and beautiful, talented skater, but that 2nd placement was a gift. At this point, I would much rather see the other guys go to Worlds and earn more experience. They all fought for it and Camden and Max did great. At this stage of Jason's career, a Worlds medal isn't going to change how much he's loved by FS audiences or his overall artistry. Let the other guys grow as competitors and feel the pressure of retaining spots for Worlds.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you Sam for this and for all your rinkside reports. (and photos). Knowing Jason and how he likes to make his fans happy, the Zamboni will have to sweep him off the ice. :biggrin:

I hope you enjoyed all the events, in their messy glory :)
The Miami Synchro team had enough of Jason out there Peacocking around and needed to begin their exhibition so don’t fret….no Zamboni’s were involved in his departure. Someone asked him politely to Skedaddle :laugh2:

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
"Smiles over perfection . . . it works."
Not for me, it doesn't. This is a sport, not a dental commercial.

Now, give Camden your medal.

Peace out.
Did Jason say that in an interview? 😮 It was a sport competition, not a show or gala performance. The people who do the two best skates should win and medal, not whoever smiles the most. Perhaps he needs to pay a bit more attention to Adam Sao Him Fa's programmes. Adam has the technical and performance skills needed to be a top competitor internationally, but he doesn't just 'smile' when he performs.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Andrew's program is the only one I have watched so far, after reading the comments and results, and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I came here to stick up for the progress Andrew has made.

To all the people commenting negatively on Andrew's jumps, I think even the wonky ones are so much better than they were when he was in Juniors. His jumps get more height and better setups now, since he started training with Raf. And his posture on the landings is wonderful now. The jumps he lands successfully are so beautiful. That 3Lz+2A wouldn't have been possible to pull off earlier in his career. He is stronger now mentally than he was in the past. He fought for EVERYTHING! And dare I say, Skate America had better jumps, but tonight the program itself was skated better than at Skate America. It was enjoyable for me to watch, regardless of the jump outcomes.

The turnaround for 4CC has me a bit worried for his health and well-being and stamina, but we shall see what happens. I will post further thoughts in his Fan Fest. Carry on!

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
Jason PCS - 92.41 , Ilia PCS - 91.68 :rolleyes: So, in the judges eyes, there's basically no difference.
Yeah, I just came to post this exactly. Just as much as I don't think Jason should have beaten Camden today, I also don't think Ilia should be anywhere near either of them in the PCS with what he put out. And he still would have won by a landslide. This is why PCS skaters are at such a disadvantage. You can't fake a quad, but the judges do like to pretend that certain skaters are great artists who are simply great technicians, so they get rewarded twice. Ilia deserves decent PCS for his SP, which I think is very well constructed to maximize his talents and minimize his weaknesses. Not so for his LP.

rain

Record Breaker
They have also ignored under-rotations. His technical score would have been lower if it wasn't the US.
I too would have had Camden over Jason here, but I think the judges were pretty lenient with some of Camden's landings as well. Just saying.

Not to mention the positive GOE on Ilia's 3-jump combo where the triple toe at the end was underrotated and wonkily landed.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did Jason say that in an interview? 😮 It was a sport competition, not a show or gala performance. The people who do the two best skates should win and medal, not whoever smiles the most. Perhaps he needs to pay a bit more attention to Adam Sao Him Fa's programmes. Adam has the technical and performance skills needed to be a top competitor internationally, but he doesn't just 'smile' when he performs.

Well, I never got an answer after I asked as to what the OP meant, but I can definitely tell you what it is NOT.

In no way shape or form did Jason Brown EVER say anything of the kind. The man has been nothing but gracious and kind to every competitor and to all styles of skating.

Just a tip before anyone gets upset over Jason's perceived failings....

ETA: And I do find it odd that someone would put something like that in quotes, but not be willing or able to explain when asked. Most peculiar. :scratch2:

Vicky458

On the Ice
Jason PCS - 92.41 , Ilia PCS - 91.68 :rolleyes: So, in the judges eyes, there's basically no difference.
I noticed that too! There is absolutely no way Ilia should be anywhere near Jason’s PCS scores let alone his skating skills a 9.25 to Jason’s 9.00..his skating skills cant compare nor can his transition or interpretation…he still skates and jumps nothing more and absolutely nothing that comes close to what Jason does in between! Sorry but that’s obvious!

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Well, I never got an answer after I asked as to what the OP meant, but I can definitely tell you what it is NOT.

In no way shape or form did Jason Brown EVER say anything of the kind. The man has been nothing but gracious and kind to every competitor and to all styles of skating.

Just a tip before anyone gets upset over Jason's perceived failings....

ETA: And I do find it odd that someone would put something like that in quotes, but not be willing or able to explain when asked. Most peculiar. :scratch2:
I really was quite surprised, because it seemed such a strange thing for him to say - but it also seems strange for the poster to write it in that way if it hadn't been said.

I would still love to see Jason do a completely different style of programme sometime, though. 😂 He cannot match the top skaters technically, so why not innovate with different performance styles?

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I too would have had Camden over Jason here, but I think the judges were pretty lenient with some of Camden's landings as well. Just saying.

Not to mention the positive GOE on Ilia's 3-jump combo where the triple toe at the end was underrotated and wonkily landed.
I've had a look through the protocols - they were lenient with quite a few people's landings, but there are some for whom they really were not. I don't mind strict judging. I do mind inequitable judging. All skaters should be treated the same, regardless of whether or not they have a big reputation.

rain

Record Breaker
I've had a look through the protocols - they were lenient with quite a few people's landings, but there are some for whom they really were not. I don't mind strict judging. I do mind inequitable judging. All skaters should be treated the same, regardless of whether or not they have a big reputation.
Who do you think was not given the benefit of the doubt here? I'm genuinely curious....

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
This was the first real bad skate from Ilia all season, but if he's going to do it, best to do it at Nationals where he has little real competition. It kind of ruins the NBC and media hype story, but I think he can bounce back if he finds a way to fix the boot issues. He can't use these old boots forever. I also love how his bad skates still include 3 gorgeous quads, including the 4A, and a 3Lz-3A-3T. He should just plan to do that last combo every year at Nationals. Make it a tradition. :LOL: It's nice too that he wasn't too hard on himself. Compare his reaction at the end this year to the one last year where he was really devastated and didn't even smile. I think the lack of pressure also makes him lose focus, so he'll need to learn how to deliver in all settings.

Jason Brown - beautiful human being, and beautiful, talented skater, but that 2nd placement was a gift. At this point, I would much rather see the other guys go to Worlds and earn more experience. They all fought for it and Camden and Max did great. At this stage of Jason's career, a Worlds medal isn't going to change how much he's loved by FS audiences or his overall artistry. Let the other guys grow as competitors and feel the pressure of retaining spots for Worlds. 100%
100% agreement on this. Ilia really had no competition here, and acted like it. His dad asked him backstage after the 6 min warmup for the short program if he was awake yet. He replied, "getting there." The boots may have been a problem, but he knew he had this championship in the bag without being completely focused.

I love Jason and he has been a skater for the ages, but it's time for the other guys to gain experience, and the way to do that is on the biggest world stage in Montreal. I'm sad that Max will not get that chance after such an inspiring free skate. We've got to encourage these young guys because Ilia shouldn't be the only one carrying the team after Jason decides to retire from competition.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I really was quite surprised, because it seemed such a strange thing for him to say - but it also seems strange for the poster to write it in that way if it hadn't been said.

I would still love to see Jason do a completely different style of programme sometime, though. 😂 He cannot match the top skaters technically, so why not innovate with different performance styles?
I agree with some of this. Specifically, that it would be wonderful if what Jason takes from this is that his position in the hearts of fans and judges is really, really secure, and so, that he risks nothing by innovating more. He could aim to deliver something as creative and inspired as Sinnerman every year! Why not enjoy that creative freedom?

reader3

Chicago Lady
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Didn't realize that Camden has had coaching from Raf. Good for him.