A changing of the guard in the men’s discipline? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

A changing of the guard in the men’s discipline?

Kinga

Medalist
This is very interesting thread.

I think that it is time for newcomers to mix into the old guard, and, possibly, pull off an upset. It will happen slowly, IMO. First a brozne here, a silver there, and it will become a reality.
I think it already happens, because I would not really count Verner as the old guard, he just entered the elite skaters recently. Still, I would not count out the old guard, they will be in the mix.

As far as I agree that putting together a strong artistic performance with a quad will be something that can give OMG and other victories, I do think that currently less and less skaters are able to do that on regular basis. I think we will see more clean triple programes with a beautiful skating that will be the winners.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
I really do think the tide has offically changed with Buttle's win at worlds last year. Th skaters like Evan and Brian will not be dominant anymore. The young guys with the great edges and high levels on the non-jump elements seem to be taking the world by storm. Chan, Kozuka, even Johhny Weir could be grouped with them if he stopped trying the dumb quad.

the Quad is out. I hope that the american boys realize that and put all that time and effort into footwork and spins and getting their triple fully roatated.

Buttle's win does not mean that the quad is out. It just means that quad kings can sometimes fall on quads. I don't think it will ever be out. Sport progresses. It does not backtrack. In fact, one of Buttle's reasons for retirement was that he felt that he could not physically match up to younger men with greater jumping power.

Kozuka's trying for a quad. Chan will follow eventually. Once they've got 8 triples in their programs, they'll be putting in a quad to maximise the points they can get.

I love seeing quads when the skaters can hit it, and while this season is somewhat quad-less, I can see it reappearing once Worlds comes around.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Since 2006 the Olympic and World podia have comprised Plushenko, Lambiel, Buttle, Joubert, Takahashi, Lysacek and Weir. Add Oda, Sandhu and Verner for fourth and fifth places.

Plushenko, retired.

Plushenko decided not to compete in GP, but I have understood that he is participating in Russian Nationals, or has there been some new info?

I´m missing Lambiel and Buttle so much and the news about Takahashi was very sad indeed. I think that Japan has though also other skaters that are seriously competing for a place on the Olympic podium. I was not very enthusiastic about Chan last season, but now I have been very much impressed. What a skater, WOW!!! Verner has always been a big favourite to me, but he sure has been even more inconsistent lately.

I´m not taking the results in this season´s GP competitions very seriously, in next season they of course will be most meaningful.

Last edited:

merrybari

Final Flight
By spark I mean freedom of movement, youthful exuberance, stuff like that. I think he's motivated and determined now, no doubt, but it's a different kind of motivation. I don't feel like he loves or even enjoys competition, he talks so much about how stressful it is and there's such strain on his face when he skates. I don't see the joy he used to have when he was younger (2004, 2005 ). That's all I meant. Like I said, I don't mean this as a criticism. Just something that happened with age. This is a tough sport to be in.

That's what I meant, too. Thanks for expanding.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Is that the way it is spelled? here and not hear? I got the meaning of it as agree agree but I never knew the spelling of it.

I'm a Canadian who's fluent in English, and the correct spelling is, "Hear, hear!" This is a variation of "Hear him" and "Hear ye".

Mafke

Medalist
Interestingly, while I never confuse their/there/they're when writing by hand (what's that? the children ask) or in regular word processing I frequently do while making comments on the internets. The same with its/it's and other homonyms (right/write, led/lead etc). I think that commenting uses a different part of the brain than normal writing.

Edit to bring the subject back to skating. I used to habitually misspell Goebel (usually as Goebbels!) And I'm _still_ not sure how to spell Ritberger Rittburger? Rittberger?

Last edited:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
^^ Speaking of language errors, although I'm obsessive enough to notice errors (usually) when I read them, the only thing that really makes me cringe is the increasing number of people who don't know "than" from "then."

Honestly, the first time I read that error, I couldn't make sense of the sentence, and it was a work document that had impact on me! ThEn I realized that the writer meant "then" instead of "than," and the sentence finally made sense.

First this, then that.

And it's "other than" not "other then."

Ok, apologies for the vocabulary rant!

Back OT: Love the old guard still! Not blown away by Chan or Kozuka yet. Long live the old guard!

Bennett

Record Breaker
I really do think the tide has offically changed with Buttle's win at worlds last year. Th skaters like Evan and Brian will not be dominant anymore. The young guys with the great edges and high levels on the non-jump elements seem to be taking the world by storm. Chan, Kozuka, even Johhny Weir could be grouped with them if he stopped trying the dumb quad.

the Quad is out. I hope that the american boys realize that and put all that time and effort into footwork and spins and getting their triple fully roatated.

I do not necessarily think that the quad is out. But I do agree that consistently and fully rotating triples including 3A, always maximizing combos, having good skating skills, spins, and steps are more important than landing one or two quads that seem to be very difficult to maintain consistency. If you faulter in these, you won't be the winner even with a quad or two.

ETA: Let me join your fun discussions on spelling mistakes. I make more errors on the Internet mostly because of the lack of spell checker except for the email that tells me not to send the message with spelling errors. But the spell checker does not newly learn how to spell people's names that have such a variety so I end up always being asked to "correct" their names. But how can I change Philipp into Philip, you know? Yet sometimes they do that without my noticing it and I almost end up being rude.
I've noticed the use of "then" instead of "than". But I think it is just a common simple error rather than confusion.

Last edited:

lmarie086

Medalist
I do have to say that although I am excited by the newer guys, I love the "old guard." I'll be sad to see some of them retire, but I will definitely be enjoying them while they are here!

I do have to say that although I am excited by the newer guys, I love the "old guard." I'll be sad to see some of them retire, but I will definitely be enjoying them while they are here!
What's sad about the 'Old Guard', is that some of them were hampered by injuries and couldn't do their best. Goebel and Nam come immediately to mind.
I'm sure there are many others from all countries.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I haven't warmed up enough for the new comers yet, even though I like some of them, such as Chan, Kozuka, Abbott (not very new), Rippon. It does feel like it's changing guard here before 2010. I thought the changing guard should happen after 2010. Is it because that their bodies cannot hold that long?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
maybe it's not really a 'wrong' time... maybe the 1994 weirdness is finally catching up with the pattern. with only 2 years in between the 92 and 94 games the 'changing of the guard didn't really happen the way it normally does... maybe we're seeing that effect finally happen because those skaters that were caught in that (Stojko and Kwan come to mind) stayed in longer than most probably would had they not switched up the dates. who knows, though...

Buttercup

Record Breaker
jennylovskt said:
I thought the changing guard should happen after 2010. Is it because that their bodies cannot hold that long?
Buttle, Joubert and Verner started skating as seniors in the 2001-2 season. Lambiel made his debut at Europeans in 2001; Evan Lysacek first did 4CC in 2003. Joubert and Lambiel skated at SLC and in Torino. They've all had pretty long careers in figure skating terms, especially when you consider the challenging technical demands and the changes brought about by CoP. Really the unusual thing is that Plushenko was the only top guy to retire after the last Olympics.

So maybe all those years of competing have caught up with some of the more successful skaters of the last few years, but those who have not retired should hardly be discounted just because some newer skaters did well in the GP.

Slightly OT, Jeremy Abbott is newer but not younger: he's the same age as Evan Lysacek and Stepahne Lambiel and older than Tomas and Dai.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Slightly OT, Jeremy Abbott is newer but not younger: he's the same age as Evan Lysacek and Stepahne Lambiel and older than Tomas and Dai.

I know! That's really interesting! He has a new look though! What happened to him? Did he suddenly have technical advancement at 23? Or did he suddenly increase his confidence level?