Four years later... | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Four years later...

rollerblade

Record Breaker
They definitely should bring back spirals. Adelina did a couple pretty good no hand grab spirals in that Swan Lake video. Sorry, I just don't care for those Kerrigan-esque spirals, where they could never get the free leg up high without the hand grab.

Just google-imaged some spirals, and damn, I didn't know Carolina Zhang could do perfect split spirals (no hands!). It was even straighter than Sasha Cohen's - didn't even think anyone could top that.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I miss spirals too, but my favorites were always Sasha's (for her position and toe point, like a ballerina) and Michelle's (for the way she glided with joy across the ice). Some spirals are just ugly, so I only want to see them if done well.

Back OT - thanks to Mrs. P for putting these together.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
8.) Akiko Suzuki: The 2013 Japanese World Champion and 2012 Worlds bronze medalist. She finished 8th again in Sochi.
Technically I believe she is the 2014 Japanese national champion. She obviously did not win Worlds last year ;)

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I think Fernandez, Hanyu, Ten, llynyk & Katsalapov, Weaver & Poje, Paul & Islam, Chock & Bates, Osmond, Li, Gold, Voloszhar & Trankov, Stolbova & Klimov, Peng & Zhang, will be in the next Olympics.

Are Weaver & Poje planning to stay as long as another Olympics? I guess they'll evaluate it on a season by season basis. Poje will be 30 by 2018, although that obviously didn't stop a few of this year's competitors.

Paul & Islam are going to need to improve their consistency. They were very lucky to finish on the podium at Nationals this year. It's the only time they have skated 2 clean performances back to back. The next month in Sochi, they were unable to do so. If they want to stay ahead of Gilles & Poirier, as well as climbing the ranks internationally, they cannot fall as low as they did in Sochi on a regular basis.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.... Let's look at the Class of 2010 and where they ended up in 2014.

Pairs
6.) Jessica Dube/Bryce Davidson: Davidson retired; Dube went with a new partner briefly but didn't last long eventually retiring as well
10.) Amanda Evora/Mark Ladwig: Evora retired after 2012, Ladwig made a go for it with Lindsey Davis in the 2012-2013 season but also retired.

Ice Dance
4.) Tanith Belbin/Benjamin Agosto: He's coaching in the Seattle area/She's dating Charlie White and doing various broadcasting stints with NBC/Universal Sports.
5.) Federica Faiella/Massimo Scali: .. She's now a policewoman ....

Updated to include Ice Dance. :) Please let me know of any additions/corrections/etc.

Thx for all the great updates, Mrs. P. Only cuz you asked ;), a few comments/additions:

Bryce Davison (correct spelling) is the head skating coach (or something like that, IIRC) in Hamilton, Ontario.

Evora is coaching -- and coming full circle, was part of the coaching team in Sochi for Zhang/Bartholomay, I believe. :)

Agosto and Belbin both have been wearing multiple hats. Agosto has been providing ice dance commentary for Universal Sports this season. Belbin is one of the Team Canton coaches, and I think she also has been a choreographer beyond Team Canton.

Very cool that Faiella is a policewoman! :cool: