A sincere question | Golden Skate

A sincere question

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Since Michelle has the most consistent jumps and great technique, why is she with a jumping coach? Other aspects of her skating need to improve (speed, spins esp.)

Is this to help her nail down a 3/3 or work on another? I wonder why Artunian was so unhappy with 7 triples? She used to do a 3/3 when she was younger, so is it a matter of confidence or just more practice?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Probably to just up the ante so she can compete with the young "jumping beans" following closely on her heels.

Last edited:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Well, coaching is not medicine. Most, if not all, skating coaches consider themselves well rounded, with many doing the choreography as well as coaching. I'd bet my bottom dollar that most, if not all, coaches would be insulted to be dismissed as a "jumping coach".

Also, AK's comment was that she needed to do more if she wanted to contend in Turino. More includes more speed, better spins, etc.. not just jumps.

Kwan was the favorite going into two Olys, mostly because of her presentation reputation. 8 years before Torino a clean 7 triple Kwan with no 3/3 lost. 4 years before Torino, a 7 triple program with two 3/3s won. I don't think that AK is alone in thinking that a 6 triple program with no 3/3 and only one combo is not a guaranteed win in Turino. Injured, she went into Nagano thinking that her edge in presentation would take her to the top and look where that got her.

She may be the most consistant skater of her generation, but she has proven on more than one sorrowful occasion that she not God. Any althete who goes into the Olys thinking that he can rest on his reputation is a fool. MK ain't no fool.

sk8m8

Final Flight
For those not immediately familiar with Rafael's abilities and reputation....He worked extensively with Sasha Abt and Ivan Dinev. Both these men are lyrical skaters (as is MK, IMHO) and the pairing make sense to me.

As a "jump coach for michelle", he will mostly likely attempt to put more power into them. Yes, they are the most efficient and technically sound out there, but they are still not as "big" or "high" as some of the other ladies out there.

One of the poster mention the new crop of jumping beans....with the Japanese ladies ( and one Russian lady, that I know of) turning triple axles and one doing quads, it will take a much improved Michelle to win under the COP in the technical area if she doesn't ratchet up her technical abilities.

In many ways, MK's skating is like an abstract painting, It relies on the rhythm, coloring and shading, balance and overall evocative effect. It doesn't need all the flourish, however with it I think that she will be unstoppable.

I've talked with someone that has worked with Rafael in the southern california area and I believe what you are witnessing is a true partnership between skater and coach. She will bring the talent and willingness to work and he will provide better edging, higher jumps and more intricate in-betweeen skating for her to work on. I am so excited about both MK and SC's coaching changes, I think in both cases it provides more stablility from a standpoint of developing and cementing abilities for both skaters to have very stable and committed coaches.

In MK's case, it may even be good to have a Russian who, I understand, speaks directly, though not harshly to what he sees going on in front of him. IMHO He will not make the same mistake that Frank Carroll made of telling Michelle that she is the greatest living skater and not to worry about it. MK is like any great athelete, she wants to be better than she is, it is what drives her. If she's arrive at "that place" then she has nothing more to work for.

Consider Andre Agassi, who is playing some of the best tennis of his life at 33; He too was tired of all the hype surrounding his game and decided to take on a no nonsense coach, Brad Gilbert, not to develop his already formidable tennis skills, but to motivate him to work harder so he could keep up with tne next generation of "phenoms" and still produces. Gone are the gimmicks and hair weaves and, voilia, the buffest baddest tennis player on the court, who, if not winning is giving his opponents fits if they want to beat him.

MK, like Aggassi is probably intelligent enough to know that "the fire must burn from within" howerver it doesn't hurt to have a daily "pilot light" to keep the flame easy to access and ready to start at any time.

Just some opinions and answers to your question, hope it helped.

Mark, your sk8m8

Last edited:

mpal2

Final Flight
sk8m8 said:
In MK's case, it may even be good to have a Russian who, I understand, speaks directly, though not harshly to what he sees going on in front of him. IMHO He will not make the same mistake that Frank Carroll made of telling Michelle that she is the greatest living skater and not to worry about it.

I think that that's what Frank Carroll said in public because I also remember hearing him say that you can't rely on standing still when Michelle was trying to do the college thing in 99. I doubt that he was that full of praise during the private lessons.

mzheng

Record Breaker
I agree what sk8m8 about MK and her coach. When I first heard MK went for Rafael (before the news went to public) she said herself, 'Its been long time someone yell at me. I need someone push me'.

At winter chanlenge interview, MK said Rafael is a well around coach not just jump. All his skaters have good jump technique and good spin, etc. From what I heard that Rafael is really strict at basics as well. He requires his younger skater footwork to all jumps, not for Michelle yet (but will come I guess). And he knows what type landing technique would cause injury, whats not. Michelle is all bussiness like when come to the trainning. The way he trains his student, not just jump but put the jump in program segment, so that the skater will get good timing. But in order to put a jump element into the program he requires almost 100% landing ratio when practice without program contents. He is taking no chance this time around with Michelle. He truely loves them. 'nice, polite, obediance, dose not learn and run(leave)' were his words.

I believe she is in good hands. Have the faith.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
thanks for comments all.

What I wonder about is how one can retrain so much in 2 years.

Her muscle memory tells her to do the 3/2 she has trained zillions of time.

If Michelle wins Turino, wil she be at 26, the oldest woman to get Oly Gold?

Thanks for answering...:)

berthes ghost

Final Flight
If Michelle wins Turino, wil she be at 26, the oldest woman to get Oly Gold?

If Michelle wins in Turino, she will be 25, and the oldest champ. Currently, Sonja Henie is the oldest, at 23. If Nancy had won in Lillehammer, she would be the oldest.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Re: thanks for comments all.

Bijoux said:

Her muscle memory tells her to do the 3/2 she has trained zillions of time.

I guess that's why the 3t/2t was removed from her LP. It is like either you do a 3t/3t or just 3t. No falling back on 3t/2t any more. This season is still a build up season for her, IMO. While she had the 3t/3t planned at the place of 3t, which she just got back at mid of Dec., but she didn't need it at Nats because the way Sasha skated. I believe the 'gave me and Rafael time regroup' mentioned in her interview after the SP leads to the Private Ice Time at Friday, when she practice the 3t/3t.

3T/2T ----> 3T ----> 3T/3T

I see single 3T is a transition time to build confident 3T/3T.

MZheng, I can't tell you how much I enjoy and appreciate your accurate and insightful posts on Michelle's training regimen.

Mathman

shdotz

On the Ice
Kwan Jumps

I think time will tell why she's hired a jumping coach.

She'll let everyone know when she's ready.

sh

Sk8m8,
I think your entire post is just brilliant. Even wordy Rgirl can't add a word.

Mzheng,
ITA with Mathman. Excellent point about muscle memory and 3/2 vs 3/3. You explained it so very well.

Berthes Ghost,
Excellent point about coaching not being medicine, plus the great historical perspective, as always.

I just love it when a simple question can inspire such wonderful posts:)
Rgirl

Tove

On the Ice
Rafael is not only a jumping coach, look at the programs he and Sasha made....f.i. his short from 2000.......his short and free from 2002...and the list could go on and on.....

What I love most about Rafael is that his skaters seems to have this certain flow and speed...and are a little different...at least it was like that when he worked in Russia

Sk8m8 - A brillian critique of MK and Raphael. I watched them in the Kiss and Cry and he was beaming with happiness, and she leaned over to him at times with big smiles. I have to agree this is going to be a first class partnership.
In many ways, MK's skating is like an abstract painting, It relies on the rhythm, coloring and shading, balance and overall evocative effect. It doesn't need all the flourish, however with it I think that she will be unstoppable.
Unquote

IMO, she does indeed have all those qualities but they have not always been evident. It think it was last years (2003) Nats that she actually brought all these qualitites together. She has, for me, gone beyond the competitive stage. There are so many young ladies that have better tricks than she, but they are not even close to her with all those qualities you mention. Even, Mathman will go ga ga over the fingers:laugh: But this is true MK's body is completely involved with the music and the program.

If we are correct about Raphael, the tricks will get better and that is absolutely required for the Sport. I think Raphael and Michelle make a fine team.

As for age being a factor. Well, those cute little darlings will do their quads and spin faster than a spinning bullet and pretend they can skate The Sleeping Beauty as well as a mature dancer can, may have to take a step backwards and realize they have a lot to learn.

One other thing, MK is breathing liife into one of the gloomiest lpieces of music used in figure skating.

Joe

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Probably to just up the ante so she can compete with the young "jumping beans" following closely on her heels.

I think that, and her jumps could carry more height and speed on the landings. Her jumps are often landed on a dime. With the new points system, she'll need to not only do the jumps but maximize the point value of them for quality.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
....Sk8m8, mzheng............bravo, excellent and insightful posts....42