Adam Rippon says he's unlikely to compete | Golden Skate

Adam Rippon says he's unlikely to compete

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018/06/08/adam-rippon-figure-skating-retire/

NEW YORK — Adam Rippon said he will “probably not” compete again and is definitely sitting out the fall Grand Prix figure skating season.

“I’m still thinking about it [returning to competition at some point],” Rippon said on New York City Hall’s steps Friday afternoon, “but ehhh, I mean, probably not. We’ll see. There’s so many really amazing young people coming up. I think that it’s sort of like, their time is now. I don’t really know if I can see myself in too many more skating competitions as a competitor, but I still want to stay involved in any way I can. I don’t know if that necessarily means retirement right now. I have a lot going on, and I have a lot to think about.”

Rippon, 28 and the oldest U.S. Olympic rookie singles skater in 82 years, previously repeated this winter and spring that he will not compete in another Olympics but had not decided if he would compete next season. He finished 10th in PyeongChang and added a team event bronze medal.

honestly not shocking. judging by his soi performances i've kindve assumed that he was done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a shock. He did indeed bank on his Olympics stint and capitalised on his personality to make a name for himself. So good on him!

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
There isn't much of a reason for him to continue competing unless he really wants to. I think his newfound popularity would help viewership for US men's skating, but I bet he has many more opportunities as an on-air personality. Besides, with all the rule changes on quad types, it's best for him to leave the sport now on his best possible high and his own recognition of the technically-gifted younger male skaters in the US at the moment.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Not unexpected. But still a shame. I've so often enjoyed his skating. Never mind the less technical difficulty compared to the likes of Nathan and Vincent (and for that matter the three Olympic medallists), he was always such a joy to watch. He's one of those for whom I didn't mind a bit of PCS inflation, because his skates were just so not boring. But, he's been so successful in promoting himself (and I don't mean this in a negative way at all), that I expect there'll be so many opportunities for him. Actually, I am so happy for him. I would have loved for him to continue, but I didn't expect it. I wish him all the best, and I truly hope the LBGT community will profit from his outspokenness. It's one of the other reasons for me to like him. And I'm straight!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Not unexpected, but if he decides to retire for good, I'll miss his programs. I'd like it if he returned for one more season after his hiatus just to say goodbye, even if it meant only smaller competitions; but seeing as he's going to be 29-30 by then, I'm not sure how likely it is. But it would be very nice to see him skate competitively one last season, and the same goes for Ashley.

mia98

Spectator
I'd love to see Adam compete again, but it does seem that he's happy without competing and that's great for him! Ashley Wagner also seems to be leaning towards retirement... her newest Instagram post talks a lot about her "next chapter" and the paths available in front of her. With Max Aaron (</3 </3), Adam, and possibly Ashley and Mirai leaving it's the end of an era in US figure skating.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'd love to see Adam compete again, but it does seem that he's happy without competing and that's great for him! Ashley Wagner also seems to be leaning towards retirement... her newest Instagram post talks a lot about her "next chapter" and the paths available in front of her. With Max Aaron (</3 </3), Adam, and possibly Ashley and Mirai leaving it's the end of an era in US figure skating.

Mirai gave no indication that she's retiring. We were just discussing this yesterday in the US ladies thread.

andromache

Record Breaker
I hope we see Adam choreograph in the future. I know he's done some programs for other skaters as well as himself. I'd love to see him continue that.

mrrice

Record Breaker
The quad restrictions don’t help him enough

I don't think that's the reason. He had such a great season and after winning a medal at OG's, I think he was satisfied with his career. He's been skating for a very long time. Unlike some others. He seems to be doing quite well since the season ended. Winning DWTS and being on several talk shows, I think he's pursuing new opportunities.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Certainly not unexpected that Adam is inching closer and closer, as many have been saying all along, to just making the retirement decision. He has made an impact on a wider world than skating. If other opportunities are open to him, he would be a fool to miss those opportunities for yet another skating season, and Adam’s no fool.

Even though he has yet to officially announce, I wish him the best. And I won’t know how to watch Finlandia without Adam’s yearly visit there:biggrin:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Are we surprised? I thought this was obvious. The guy's not getting any younger and he's in prime position to capitalise on the attention he drew during the Olympics. Go get it, Adam!

mia98

Spectator
Thanks for the update on Mirai! Sorry for jumping the gun there, I haven’t kept up with her as much.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for the update on Mirai! Sorry for jumping the gun there, I haven’t kept up with her as much.

The ladies thread is your friend though for that. ;)

Post to your hearts delight over there about her, before you get told you are off topic here. ;)

aname

On the Ice
I hope we see Adam choreograph in the future. I know he's done some programs for other skaters as well as himself. I'd love to see him continue that.
There was an interview recently on a Russian site where, according to google translate, he said this:
I really enjoy working with Raphael, and I would like to continue. I will definitely ride myself, so as not to lose my skills. I already have agreements with some skaters on productions, so I'll work with them in the summer.
Any Russian speakers here who could tell whether "У меня уже есть договоренности с некоторыми фигуристами о постановках, поэтому я буду работать с ними летом" refers to choreographing programs for other skaters or is he talking about working with them in more general terms?

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Not surprised, especially seeing how much success and attention he's getting post OG.

I'm sad we might not be able to see him compete again, but I'm happy for him and I wish him all the best <3 he cracks me up in every interview he does!

VegMom

On the Ice
honestly not shocking. judging by his soi performances i've kindve assumed that he was done.
To be fair, he was doing Dancing With The Stars at the same time and said he was very very tired. So I wouldn't take his Stars on Ice performances as indicative of anything, really, except that he works hard to fulfill all his contracts/promises, which is great!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Rippon, 28 and the oldest U.S. Olympic rookie singles skater in 82 years,

After I commented on this, I wondered how far you'd have to go back if you relaxed just one of the conditions. I found the answer to two of them fairly quickly, but had to dig for the third. And the answer is: not very far at all.

Here they are, with the removed condition in brackets:

The oldest U.S. Olympic rookie [singles] skater was: Chris Knierem, 2018 Olympics (2 years + older than Adam)

The oldest U.S. Olympic [rookie] singles skater was: Jeremy Abbott, 2014 Olympics (about 6 months older than Adam at the time of their games appearance)

The oldest [U.S.] Olympic rookie singles skater was: Chafik BESSEGHIER, 2018 Olympics (one day older than Adam!)

Note, these aren't necessarily the oldest of all time, but are the most recent Olympians who are older than Adam.

And the man who beat Adam those 82 years ago was George Hill in the 1936 Olympics.