Adam Rippon | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Adam Rippon

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, that is what he said in August, which is probably when he last updated his Icenetwork bio. ( We do not backedit our interviews.)

However, that is not what he says now, either in his instagram/tweet or his ISU bio.

He is not the only skater this year to ditch the choreography and do something else, choreographed by somebody else.

This is one reason we maintain the programs thread...we have been caught by this sort of conflicting info before.

seabm7

Final Flight
I see. I just checked his ISU bio. Indeed it only mentions Tom Dickson and himself, not Jeff Buttle. :think:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hmmmm, guess the jury is still out on this. Maybe he ditched the initial choreography and then had Jeff Buttle work on both programs. I wish he would update his IN bio so we would know for sure.

Thanks so much Doris and seabm7 for all the info.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I think Adam had my 2nd favorite FS after Yuzuru's, although there are just too many clashing colors going on with the red and yellow top, blue hair and orange-y skin. ;) I just wonder what his strategy is going to be going forward? Will he keep chasing that elusive 4lz forever? I respect his tenacity and everything, but the tech content without a quad is simply not going to do it in this field (outside of US Nats perhaps). Not sure what his personal goals are, but let's say Boyang gets a ratified 4lz next week at CoC - even if that was all Adam wanted to accomplish, it won't really have quite the same "wow" factor after that. What should he do from here?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Regarding Adam's FS choreo, there are a couple of moments where he rises onto his toe picks that are very reminiscent of a similar move in Josh's Give Me Love program. They appear at about 2:16 to 2:18 in the clip below (only one not geoblocked in US). So I assumed that Jeff Buttle did the choreo. But maybe Adam reworked the program so extensively that those are the only Buttle moments left? Either way, he looked like he had a lot of fun performing it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3bvmr9_adam-rippon-skate-canada-2015-lp_sport

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
I really love his LP this year and hope Adam can get that 4Lutz respectable so he can play with the big boys. If he had landed it at SC he'd have been on the podium. Chan and Yuzuru are going to be formidable if they skate their best but they've shown they're human. I wish no one bad luck but Adam should be ready to take advantage when the door opens.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thinking back a few years, when Adam and Brandon Mroz were both Juniors, Adam won Jr. Mens twice ahead of Brandon. In 2011 Brandon became the first skater to land a ratified 4Z in competition and then at the NHK trophy he became the first in international competition. I wonder if that old rivalry is what is driving Adam. Adam's lutz was always his best jump so maybe that is why is going for 4Z over 4T.

I know USFS has pushed really hard with the idea that Sr. Men MUST have a quad. I don't really know if Adam ever really rotates the 4Z in practice as video's can be deceiving. If he does actually rotate it in practice, perhaps he thinks that eventually he will do it in competition. I imagine if he makes the World team (with or without a quad) he will keep going with the idea of the Olympics in 2018.

I think Adam had my 2nd favorite FS after Yuzuru's, although there are just too many clashing colors going on with the red and yellow top, blue hair and orange-y skin. ;) I just wonder what his strategy is going to be going forward? Will he keep chasing that elusive 4lz forever? I respect his tenacity and everything, but the tech content without a quad is simply not going to do it in this field (outside of US Nats perhaps). Not sure what his personal goals are, but let's say Boyang gets a ratified 4lz next week at CoC - even if that was all Adam wanted to accomplish, it won't really have quite the same "wow" factor after that. What should he do from here?

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks for the link Doris! I hope Adam is correct and that he gets his 4Z and does win Nationals....he has been on the brink for too long.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I am loving this interview; I wonder if they will start a TSL thread in The Edge? Adam is so funny and sassy and self aware. I even understand his obsession with the quad lutz now, although I still think it detracts from his programs.

I wanted words so bad in my program I would have skated to Books on Tape. Snap, Adam:rock:

One thing I will say; having been to the tiny burg of Clarks Summit, Pa, which is listed as Adam's hometown, that boy has lost *all* trace of a Wyoming Valley accent....

slider11

Medalist
Thank you for the TSL conversation with Adam. He is thoughtful, focused and ready. His goals are lofty but realistic. I love his LP. I think it is creative and lyrical. I love his footwork and for the life of me I don't get his lower skating skill ratings. Not sure which GP is his second but I am hopeful that the judges will put him in a position to be thought of as a contender. Even if he doesn't make the GPF, score him for what he does, not what he did. And for goodness sake, give him the credit in his components that he deserves. His body position, movement to music, fine edges and quality of skating are outstanding.

slider11

Medalist
Stay strong, Adam Rippon! The results of that Rostelcom Cup should only make you more determined! It was incredulous to me that well after the conclusion of the Mens LP, that the judges decided to give Ross Miner .5 more points and therefore Ross edged Adam for third. Really? Ok, done and over. ut, Adam, the judges ARE starting to appreciate your skating and even without a quad you scored the second best LP. Ok, maybe the field wasn't the strongest but I see forward movement and, again, an appreciation for what you're doing.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here's a non geoblocked video of Adam's FS from Rostelecom.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3ewu1p_adam-rippon-rostelecom-cup-2015-lp_sport

A few things I noticed - Adam's hair now matches the costume (and vice versa) so it's a better look on the ice. Also, he ditched "Yesterday" for "Blackbird" so I'm wondering if that change caused the geoblocking. I don't recall earlier versions of his FS being blocked.

Last edited:

seabm7

Final Flight

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
An interview with Adam with Lavender Magazine in Minneapolis prior to US Nats:

http://www.lavendermagazine.com/our-scene/94011/

(I don't know for sure, but Lavender also interviewed Rohene Ward, and may be a publication targeted to the LBGT community).

Adam actually talks about being from a small town in Northeastern Penna, which I had not seen before (but I have not been following him that long). Having been to Clarks Summit, PA, I am very impressed that a tiny town that is a suburb of *Scranton* could produce a world class skater. Go Adam:hap10: