Adelina Sotnikova Withdraws From 2014 Rostelecom Cup | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova Withdraws From 2014 Rostelecom Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Except he might not be able to compete at NHK. Maybe someone needs to make it all the way through the series for it to be broken? :think: I mean, Yagudin technically competed at SA...
I am afraid he might go to NHK. :cry:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Whatever the reason for this, regardless of the authenticity of the reported injury, looks to me like her season is done. Taking it all at face value, it's doubtful she would recover in time to be competitive at her nationals.

Seems to be hard luck for Oly champs attempting to stick around, no? It's a wonder most either take time off or retire altogether...

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Seems to be hard luck for Oly champs attempting to stick around, no? It's a wonder most either take time off or retire altogether...

Well Yu-na skated at 2010 Worlds after she won the Olympics and got 2nd place. Not too shabby. How many times has that been done? And then again 2nd at 2011 Worlds.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Well Yu-na skated at 2010 Worlds after she won the Olympics and got 2nd place. Not too shabby. How many times has that been done? And then again 2nd at 2011 Worlds.

For starters:

- Virtue/Moir matched Yuna Kim with 2010 Olympic and World golds + 2011 World silver.

- Hanyu won 2014 Olympic and World golds.​

So the curse has been broken by Yuzuru, I suppose? :think:

Except he might not be able to compete at NHK. Maybe someone needs to make it all the way through the series for it to be broken? :think: I mean, Yagudin technically competed at SA...

Depends on how you define "the curse." Zaccardi's point seemed to be that Hanyu already has outdone any other singles skater, so I agree with Meoima.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
For starters:

- Virtue/Moir matched Yuna Kim with 2010 Olympic and World golds + 2011 World silver.

Ok, so Hanyu had also done it for the first time (he's awesome, although all the men messed up in Sochi, and Hanyu was far from perfect :rolleye:), but what about in the Ladies discipline only?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
For starters:

Depends on how you define "the curse." Zaccardi's point seemed to be that Hanyu already has outdone any other singles skater, so I agree with Meoima.

IN the world of ice dancing there are a lot of memorable teams who won OGM and OSM - Bestiminovia and Bukin, Klimova and Pomerenko, Then we have in pairs two time OGM in Gordeeva and Grinkov and Urmanov and his partner Mitushenuk (okay no idea about her name) but they won OSM and OGM. As for worlds and olympics well you have tonnes who have won medals at both Scott Hamilton, Annette Poetch, Katrarina Witt, Valova and VAsiliev, Rodina and Zaitzev, Brian Boitano, Bestminova and Bukin, Torvill and Dean, etc

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Interesting , I didn't know that is so bad with this curse for olympic champions and following GP season

Indeed it looked like all the world forces tried to stop Hanyu from skating, lol, and when he done LP he got another injuiry that may put him out of NHK :unsure:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
IN the world of ice dancing there are a lot of memorable teams who won OGM and OSM - Bestiminovia and Bukin, Klimova and Pomerenko, Then we have in pairs two time OGM in Gordeeva and Grinkov and Urmanov and his partner Mitushenuk (okay no idea about her name) but they won OSM and OGM. As for worlds and olympics well you have tonnes who have won medals at both Scott Hamilton, Annette Poetch, Katrarina Witt, Valova and VAsiliev, Rodina and Zaitzev, Brian Boitano, Bestminova and Bukin, Torvill and Dean, etc

Our previous discussion pertained to an Olympic champion's results at Worlds the same year; and in the following season at GPs and at Worlds.

You are citing results of a different nature -- not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

makaihime

Final Flight
Interesting , I didn't know that is so bad with this curse for olympic champions and following GP season

Indeed it looked like all the world forces tried to stop Hanyu from skating, lol, and when he done LP he got another injuiry that may put him out of NHK :unsure:

Seems like the curse takes no prisoners.....I'm scared to know what it'll do to him if he does decide to go through with NHK....:slink:

On the topic at hand, I was actually really looking forward to Adelina's programs this year. I loved what I saw :no: Hope she heals in time for nationals/worlds.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ok, so Hanyu had also done it for the first time (he's awesome, although all the men messed up in Sochi, and Hanyu was far from perfect :rolleye:), but what about in the Ladies discipline only?

I think you are referring to Olympic and World golds in the same season?

Partial resume for Katarina Witt:
  • 1984 Olympic and World golds
  • 1985 World gold
  • 1986 World gold [ETA, correction: My mistake re 1986, when Witt in fact won World silver.]
  • 1987 World gold
  • 1988 Olympic and World golds
http://en.katarina-witt.de/figure-skating.html
http://www.sportcentric.com/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-148236-165452-56215-0-file,00.pdf

Don't know about other ladies. I don't claim to be a walking encyclopedia :laugh:, and I should not go further off topic in this thread about Sotnikova.

Eddie Lee

On the Ice

• 1985 World gold
  • 1986 World gold
  • 1987 World gold

Don't know about other ladies. I don't claim to be a walking encyclopedia :laugh:, and I should not go further off topic in this thread about Sotnikova.

In those years there was the leveling factor of "Figures", which counted for more than the SP in those days. It was also generally "assumed" that the Olympic Champions would end up as World Champions in the same skating year. And that was usually the outcome. Strange? Yes! But winning a Grand Prix event with five falls is stranger!

Ayeshoo

On the Ice
I think it might be a little difficult to compare Adelina competing after the Olympics to the others like Yuna, Virtue/Moir since all the others have an extensive and victorious senior career leading up to the Olympics. As for Adelina, she is just starting her senior career as a recognized top skater (I mean like one of the top contenders for the podium). Nonetheless, I do wish her well. I hope she can recover soon. She is a strong jumper and obviously very determined to win other competitions after Sochi.

Crystallize

On the Ice
In those years there was the leveling factor of "Figures", which counted for more than the SP in those days. It was also generally "assumed" that the Olympic Champions would end up as World Champions in the same skating year. And that was usually the outcome. Strange? Yes! But winning a Grand Prix event with five falls is stranger!

Who won an event with five falls? :confused:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker

• 1985 World gold
  • 1986 World gold
  • 1987 World gold

I thought something was off about this list, because I know Witt had "only" four World titles (and I use this fact to make my Kween look better :laugh:)... Then I looked on the page and noticed it said World Championship 1986. Witt didn't win Worlds that year, but there's still a helpful link that tells about her experience there. :yes: Anyway, regardless, Witt is a champion and a legend, and it's unlikely any skater today could match her records. :bow:

Who won an event with five falls? :confused:
The closest might be Patrick Chan with... four? (Sorry, I too am not a walking encyclopedia).

gotoschool

Medalist

• 1985 World gold
  • 1986 World gold
  • 1987 World gold

In 1992, Kristi Yamaguchi won the Olympic and World Gold Medal. I wish Adelina the best and hope she makes a quick recovery.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I thought something was off about this list, because I know Witt had "only" four World titles (and I use this fact to make my Kween look better :laugh:)... Then I looked on the page and noticed it said World Championship 1986. Witt didn't win Worlds that year, but there's still a helpful link that tells about her experience there. :yes: Anyway, regardless, Witt is a champion and a legend, and it's unlikely any skater today could match her records. :bow: ...

Ohhhh, sorry for my error. Thx for the correction, Sandpiper.

I will edit my post above accordingly.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
In those years there was the leveling factor of "Figures", which counted for more than the SP in those days. It was also generally "assumed" that the Olympic Champions would end up as World Champions in the same skating year. And that was usually the outcome. Strange? Yes! ...

Two more:

Peggy Fleming (1968)

Dorothy Hamill (1976)​

Status
Not open for further replies.