Adelina Sotnikova | Page 55 | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova

andromache

Record Breaker
Best lady Sp of the season, I can't think of any other better. :shocked: She is super hot!

I'm not sure how I feel about her SP yet. I want to see the competition version with all the jumps. I love how dancey this program and her personality really shines through, but she comes to a complete standstill twice during the program. The dance movements she does when she stops are great, but I think stopping twice in an SP isn't the best idea. But the stops work well choreographically soooo I'm not sure how much the judges will take the stops into consideration.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I'm not sure how I feel about her SP yet. I want to see the competition version with all the jumps. I love how dancey this program and her personality really shines through, but she comes to a complete standstill twice during the program. The dance movements she does when she stops are great, but I think stopping twice in an SP isn't the best idea. But the stops work well choreographically soooo I'm not sure how much the judges will take the stops into consideration.
I think the posing is something usual though. Of course she needs more adjustments in the transitions, but I don't think the posing is that disruptive, I think it's effective. The way I see this SP is, the theme, the image, the way she commits to it really stands out. It is very enjoyable. I hope she can get her jumps done. For now I see that she still has issue with jump combos. :scratch:

Mony

On the Ice
Adelina Batucada Brasileira (Latin SP) Carnival on Ice http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x38k1fo_caoi2015-adelina-sotnikova_sport

2nd part of SP now identified as Batucada Brasileira by Estudios Talkback
:biggrin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK-GXdIrF8s

Awesome, thanks for these. I am so happy she came back. She is improving each time she skates, so she should just continue taking it one skate at a time.

It's nice seeing new fans who have arrived after seeing her recent skates. I also hope she gets back her jumps, that's what is holding her back right now.

Also based on her instagram Adelina has opened her own nail salon (get manicure, pedicures etc). She is building her business portforlio, good for her.

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
It's nice seeing new fans who have arrived after seeing her recent skates.
IKR!
I want her on the Euro & world team so much!

I bet only korean haters will be left if she will improve with such huge steps she does like from the test skates til now!:cheer:
Keep rewatching gala & LP from JO! meserising!:love:

I like the purple dress way more than red!:slink: I hope she will use that for the SP!

Last edited:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I just can't help it.. How can anyone say that Adelina just muscles through her program to create speed? I always considered her a strong SS skater:mad: Coming from Asada/Tuks discussion:unsure:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I just can't help it.. How can anyone say that Adelina just muscles through her program to create speed? I always considered her a strong SS skater:mad: Coming from Asada/Tuks discussion:unsure:
I don't get it either. As people know I am quite neutral about most skaters especially ladies, zi find Adelina's edge very deep. I don't think her edge quality is weak at all. She gets speed from just a few crossovers.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

Mhm... maybe it was lost a little in too much generalizations? Adelina definitely doesn't just muscle through her programs. Just compared to Mao, she uses more muscle strength to gain speed (that's why Mao with better SS still has less speed). So it made sense to factor that into that discussion, but it definitely doesn't mean Adelina would use only muscle strength to gain speed. There are skaters who do that (some of them russian, but definitely not all of them), but Adelina isn't one of them. Look at her spirals alone, they would never be that great if she had lacking SS.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Is there any available video of her JO performance? The only one I found on YouTube was blocked b/c of copyright :bang:

Basil

On the Ice
Watched both videos. Didn't like the black dress :D
What can I say, she's the one who brought me into FS in Sochi last year, but I just now realized how beautiful her jumps are, it's such a pleasure to watch her, you actually want the next jump to come sooner, never experienced that before. With jumps, I mean, i love Lipnitskaya's spins. Adel's spins were good too, high speed, she was fast in general, which is good and leaves an impression.

Mony

On the Ice
Here is a new interview with Adelina's coach Elena Buyanova. - http://fsrussia.ru/news/1266-elena-buyanova-sotnikova-postepenno-nabiraet-formu.html

According to google translation she says Adelina is gradually gaining shape. If anything is wrong, hopefully a native speaker will correct it.

Elena Buyanova, coach of Olympic champion in the women's figure skating Adelina Sotnikova, spoke about the state of student health and explained that prevented the athlete to perform at full strength at the last competitions.

"Now, Adeline slowly gaining form. Shortly before the test rentals in Sochi, she injured her back, so that she could not do all of the elements to train in full, in particular it concerns the rotation. Therefore, at the stage of the Cup of Russia in Samara Adeline acted" out of competition " , laminated only one program, because even experienced some problems. Because of this training plan slightly adjusted. He had to move the 2 weeks of the plan. Exercise fully athlete beginning only 5 days before the "Open Championship of Japan." But I'm glad, Adeline that rolled in Saitama at a high level. I'm glad that's over, and we continue to prepare for the next start, "- commented Elena Buyanova.

For only having 5 days of full practice she did well. We all can see that she improves with each rental so hopefully she continues to improve.

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
^ thx for the interview
She indeed progresses nicely:cheer2:

Btw hopefully no one here believe what haters on JO thread implied i.e. that Papa Mishn said anything bad about Adel. All he did was complimenting her on being a nice gal & being unaffected by the media hoopla & attention.:thumbsup:

anyanka

Record Breaker
She has definitely improved her presentation and theatricality in the year off. Competing on DWTS was good for her in that regard. She's a natural show skater and has developed nicely! Now let's see how the jumps stack up, JO was just a test and not her at full capacity yet. Let's see how she performs at COR. Looking forward to it.

Mony

On the Ice
^ thx for the interview
She indeed progresses nicely:cheer2:

Btw hopefully no one here believe what haters on JO thread implied i.e. that Papa Mishn said anything bad about Adel. All he did was complimenting her on being a nice gal & being unaffected by the media hoopla & attention.:thumbsup:

You're welcome

I haven't been to the Jo thread so I don't know anything about that. Mishin has always been complimentary towards Adelina.

What's her next event?

Globetrotter

Medalist
Mhm... maybe it was lost a little in too much generalizations? Adelina definitely doesn't just muscle through her programs. Just compared to Mao, she uses more muscle strength to gain speed (that's why Mao with better SS still has less speed). So it made sense to factor that into that discussion, but it definitely doesn't mean Adelina would use only muscle strength to gain speed. There are skaters who do that (some of them russian, but definitely not all of them), but Adelina isn't one of them. Look at her spirals alone, they would never be that great if she had lacking SS.

You just said what I felt. To be fair, I rewatched Ade Sot's performance at Sochi and compared it with JO. I have to say that DWTS did a lot to improve her performance and choreography and expression and her SS had noticeably improved as well. For myself, I am rather bias more towards the step sequences and in between element flow across the ice, so how I interpret SS is not just speed alone but also how that speed is gained and the quality of control over the edge, the turns and the flow across the ice and certainly how much coverage with each crossover and move. Ade is certainly stronger in this aspect than say Liza Tuks or the other Russian girls but it is some way to go before it reaches the Mao or Caro Yuna level. The flow and the smooth turns is where the difference is. Right now, I rate her at the level of a Gracie Gold although it looks like she will soon surpass that. Unfortunately, few of the top skaters (both male and female) have the sort of great SS and bladework you see in say Patrick Chan, Dai Takahashi, Mao and Caro. I do hope that this period when Ade is still on the recovery, she has more time to improve the basics even more because I think if her PCS components continue to improve, she will be virtually untoucheable once she regains her jumps.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Adelina always has such beautiful extension :love: Glad to see her back, I hope she gets over her injuries/nerves before nationals as it would be a treat to see her at worlds :cheer2: