Advice on first skates for adult beginner | Golden Skate

Advice on first skates for adult beginner

benyi

Spectator
Hi everyone!! I read up about different skate boots and blades and i’m still unsure of what to get. Some info about me: I’m 18, 154cm, 52kg/115lb and skate around 6-8 hours a week! I’m a beginner that’s only starting to learn my forward crossovers.

should i get
1. Jackson Elles (w Mirage blades)
2. Jackson Freestyle (w Aspire blades)
3. Edea Overtures (w Charme blades or Coronation Aces)
4. Edea Chorus (w Coronation Aces)

Which is the better choice? I am hoping that my skate+blades will be able to last me through all my singles and/or 1-2 years.

I’m aware that ‘stiffness rating’ isn’t standardised and apparently I googled an Edeas Overtures are an equivalent to Jackson Freestyle (both up to axels). Edeas Overtures and Jackson Elle (lower than Freestyle) cost the same in my country. In that case, should I just get Edea Overtures?

Or even Edea Chorus straight away since I heard it’s not possible to overboot Edeas? However, I heard that it is possible to overboot jacksons so i’m wondering if the jacksons freestyle will be overbooting for me?

For the blades, Mirage, Aspire and Charme blades have 8’ rocker and straight cut while Coronation Aces have 7’ rockers and cross cut.

Is it recommended for beginners to start/learn with 8’ or 7’? Will the transition from 8’ to 7’ be difficult? I know 7’ apparently helps with spins while 8’ helps with stability and jumps?

How long can a blade last? I heard better blades last longer+can last longer between sharpening sessions. Is that true? Should I start with Mirage/Aspire/Charme and then move on to Coronation Aces or should I start with Coronation Aces straight away?

Now on combinations,

Should I get the Edea Chorus with Coronation Aces blades straight away? I heard that this combi can last till doubles? Furthermore, this combi would mean I would not have to go through the transition of 8’ rocker to 7’ rocker.

However, are Edea Chorus with Coronation Aces too high level for me? How long will/can Edea Chorus and Coronation Aces blades last? This is because I wouldn’t want to buy a boot that is too high level and will spoil/breakdown before I reach that level. I also heard that Edeas skate have no break in periods but also break down faster than other brands. Is that true?

Another option is to get Jackson Elle w Mirage blades and then upgrade both my shoes+blades when the time comes especially since skates and shoes will always breakdown with time. However, I’m aware it’s a pretty beginner boot and blade and I don’t want to buy this combi if it can only last me 3-4 months... Given my weight(52kg/115lb) and height(154cm), how long can this boot and blade last me? Can i learn single jumps or/and axel on this boot and blade?

Which combi do you think will be the smartest/best choice/most cost effective? Thank you in advance!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone!! I read up about different skate boots and blades and i’m still unsure of what to get. Some info about me: I’m 18, 154cm, 52kg/115lb and skate around 6-8 hours a week! I’m a beginner that’s only starting to learn my forward crossovers.

should i get
1. Jackson Elles (w Mirage blades)
2. Jackson Freestyle (w Aspire blades)
3. Edea Overtures (w Charme blades or Coronation Aces)
4. Edea Chorus (w Coronation Aces)

Which is the better choice? I am hoping that my skate+blades will be able to last me through all my singles and/or 1-2 years.

I’m aware that ‘stiffness rating’ isn’t standardised and apparently I googled an Edeas Overtures are an equivalent to Jackson Freestyle (both up to axels). Edeas Overtures and Jackson Elle (lower than Freestyle) cost the same in my country. In that case, should I just get Edea Overtures?

Or even Edea Chorus straight away since I heard it’s not possible to overboot Edeas? However, I heard that it is possible to overboot jacksons so i’m wondering if the jacksons freestyle will be overbooting for me?

For the blades, Mirage, Aspire and Charme blades have 8’ rocker and straight cut while Coronation Aces have 7’ rockers and cross cut.

Is it recommended for beginners to start/learn with 8’ or 7’? Will the transition from 8’ to 7’ be difficult? I know 7’ apparently helps with spins while 8’ helps with stability and jumps?

How long can a blade last? I heard better blades last longer+can last longer between sharpening sessions. Is that true? Should I start with Mirage/Aspire/Charme and then move on to Coronation Aces or should I start with Coronation Aces straight away?

Now on combinations,

Should I get the Edea Chorus with Coronation Aces blades straight away? I heard that this combi can last till doubles? Furthermore, this combi would mean I would not have to go through the transition of 8’ rocker to 7’ rocker.

However, are Edea Chorus with Coronation Aces too high level for me? How long will/can Edea Chorus and Coronation Aces blades last? This is because I wouldn’t want to buy a boot that is too high level and will spoil/breakdown before I reach that level. I also heard that Edeas skate have no break in periods but also break down faster than other brands. Is that true?

Another option is to get Jackson Elle w Mirage blades and then upgrade both my shoes+blades when the time comes especially since skates and shoes will always breakdown with time. However, I’m aware it’s a pretty beginner boot and blade and I don’t want to buy this combi if it can only last me 3-4 months... Given my weight(52kg/115lb) and height(154cm), how long can this boot and blade last me? Can i learn single jumps or/and axel on this boot and blade?

Which combi do you think will be the smartest/best choice/most cost effective? Thank you in advance!
Please go to a professional fitter that can properly measure you and trace your foot to let you know what brands will work for you. Also, you are going to need a stiffer boot than rated for your level since you are an adult and your weight/height requires that. I'd say freestyle for a jackson if jackson works for you.

Good luck!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
As Ic3Rabbit said, you really need to go to a proper fitter to get the right boot for you. I'd say Freestyle is the lowest Jackson you should be considering. It is absolutely possible to overboot in Edea (despite the contrary being widely touted, as it's an excellent marketing strategy!) and I'd probably still recommend the Overture to start with, provided they fit properly and you like the bagginess around the ankle.

For blades, if the Freestyle come with the Aspire, there's no harm in starting with them. Other than that, steer well clear of the Edea Rotation/Charme blades as they are simply ghastly. Go for either a beginner blade from John Wilson or MK, or the tried and tested Coronation Ace.

Good luck and happy skating!

froo

Rinkside
I’m shorter/lighter and I restarted as adult with the older (non fusion) freestyles but I recommend getting the recommendation of a good fitter/tech locally if possible. Certain brands are better for certain feet.

NapoleonSissy

Spectator
Hi everyone, I stumbled upon this discussion. I'd like to get new skates since my recreational boots are killing me and have no support whatsoever.
I recently started lessons (once per week) and I'm thinking about sticking with skating. Right now I can go forward and backwards, some turns and working on forward crossovers (and starting backward crossovers).
Right now I have Botas (local brand, recreational) but I have wider feet, so I was considering going for Jacksons.
I consulted local figure skate shop and they recommended Jackson Excel if I don't plan on jumping.
Well, I'm not jumping now (who knows what the future holds) but I have done some research and those are probably still too soft for adults (I'm 28 and 70kg).

I am therefore deciding between Jackson Artiste with Mark IV blade and Jackson Evo (I think it's successor of Elle?) with the same blade. I can afford both, although the Evo seems pricier for a beginner.
I don't expect to make any fast progress in the next year or so, as I only have lessons once a week per 50 minutes, but I also don't want the boot to break down before I need an upgrade to a better one.
Which one would you recommend?

Unfortunately these are pretty much the only choices I have.

Thanks a lot!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone, I stumbled upon this discussion. I'd like to get new skates since my recreational boots are killing me and have no support whatsoever.
I recently started lessons (once per week) and I'm thinking about sticking with skating. Right now I can go forward and backwards, some turns and working on forward crossovers (and starting backward crossovers).
Right now I have Botas (local brand, recreational) but I have wider feet, so I was considering going for Jacksons.
I consulted local figure skate shop and they recommended Jackson Excel if I don't plan on jumping.
Well, I'm not jumping now (who knows what the future holds) but I have done some research and those are probably still too soft for adults (I'm 28 and 70kg).

I am therefore deciding between Jackson Artiste with Mark IV blade and Jackson Evo (I think it's successor of Elle?) with the same blade. I can afford both, although the Evo seems pricier for a beginner.
I don't expect to make any fast progress in the next year or so, as I only have lessons once a week per 50 minutes, but I also don't want the boot to break down before I need an upgrade to a better one.
Which one would you recommend?

Unfortunately these are pretty much the only choices I have.

Thanks a lot!
Hi and welcome. Sadly NONE of the ones you mentioned are going to be stiff enough for something with the stats you gave us. They're all going to be way too soft. You might be able to get away with a Jackson Freestyle but I'm afraid that's going to be too soft as well, and you will learn to jump in learn to skate lessons. Your best bet would more likely be the Debut boot (and you'd need a blade separate). You should be okay for now with a Protege Ultima blade to go with those.

I have to admit that I am very worried about you getting boots/blades from your current shop, because they proved they have no idea what they are doing with figure skates based on what they suggested for you.

What part of the world are you in? Many of us could suggest a shop that has a proper figure skating fitter there for you to go to and make sure you're in what you need to be in. I'm so afraid you are going to be put in the wrong thing and injure yourself.

Good luck! :)

Talionis

Rinkside
I'm also in beginning LTS classes and scheduled a "fitting" with a local pro shop that recommended Jackson Excels because that's what they always recommend for beginners. Having done some research ahead of time, I gave them the hairy eyeball and went elsewhere. (I'm 54 and considerably heavier than you.) I ended up in Jackson Evos, which I'm hoping will last me for a bit since I don't plan to jump. (I'd like to focus on dance eventually, though at the moment I'm still just trying to master a snowplow stop. Mine tends to accelerate rather than slow down.)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm also in beginning LTS classes and scheduled a "fitting" with a local pro shop that recommended Jackson Excels because that's what they always recommend for beginners. Having done some research ahead of time, I gave them the hairy eyeball and went elsewhere. (I'm 54 and considerably heavier than you.) I ended up in Jackson Evos, which I'm hoping will last me for a bit since I don't plan to jump. (I'd like to focus on dance eventually, though at the moment I'm still just trying to master a snowplow stop. Mine tends to accelerate rather than slow down.)
An Evo is a stiffness rating of 25 and if you are older (adult) and heavier as you mentioned, a 25 stiffness is definitely not stiff enough.

Talionis

Rinkside
Bummer. I was hoping that a rating 5 times stiffer than the Excel recommended by the skate shop would be sufficient, at least for now. I’ll start saving my pennies.