Advice: Semi-Intermediate Adult Skater looking for new Skates | Golden Skate

Advice: Semi-Intermediate Adult Skater looking for new Skates

xieyasu

Spectator
Hi everyone,

I'm a 22 year old, 5'9, 62kg adult skater. I have narrow feet. I live in Sydney Australia.

A bit of backstory: I started skating around 16 casually, had the Jackson Mystiques up until I was about 20, then became a bit more interested in skating and levelled up to the Edea Overtures. Then, covid happened, lockdown happened and the rinks closed, and short of money, I had to sell my Edea skates.

Sydney's in lockdown again however I plan to return to skating (after roughly a 12+ month hiatus) and I can't figure out which boot to get. When I was skating, I was doing Aus Skate School ( Novice 2 - forward crossovers and 2 foot spin ), and had a coach I saw once a month. I was originally planning to just buy the Edea Overtures again, however unfortunately I cannot find a single place in Australia that sells them anymore, as sadly traders other than the 'main' stores have gone out of business because of COVID/lockdown so the only brand I can really get access to is Jackson. I cannot find a single store that sells Edea other than the Piano or Ice Fly which are out of my budget and probably too advanced for me right now anyway.

Though I was only working on my 2 foot spin, my coach said I'm a quick learner so I plan to work hard and get to the level of learning single jumps, and I would like a boot that takes me to this level rather than having to spend even more money on a new boot again when I reach that level, if that makes sense. I would like a boot that will last me a few years, and a few levels.

I've been primarily considering the Jackson Freestyle Fusion FS2190 ( https://www.icemonster.com.au/jackson-freestyle-fusion-fs2190-skates.html ) based on comparison charts between Edea and Jackson. Would these be a good skate for me to last me through the levels? I've heard the blade pre-mounted isn't the best, but I can afford to upgrade the blade in the future years to come. If not, I was wondering what other options I have? The website Ice Monster listed above is the best store I have access to, that or ( https://iskate.com.au/ ).

I'm a student so I'm on a bit of a budget, I'd say $600 AUD is my maximum limit.

Sorry that was a long read, and I'm a bit lost comparing all of these skates, so help is really appreciated! Thank you so much in advance! :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone,

I'm a 22 year old, 5'9, 62kg adult skater. I have narrow feet. I live in Sydney Australia.

A bit of backstory: I started skating around 16 casually, had the Jackson Mystiques up until I was about 20, then became a bit more interested in skating and levelled up to the Edea Overtures. Then, covid happened, lockdown happened and the rinks closed, and short of money, I had to sell my Edea skates.

Sydney's in lockdown again however I plan to return to skating (after roughly a 12+ month hiatus) and I can't figure out which boot to get. When I was skating, I was doing Aus Skate School ( Novice 2 - forward crossovers and 2 foot spin ), and had a coach I saw once a month. I was originally planning to just buy the Edea Overtures again, however unfortunately I cannot find a single place in Australia that sells them anymore, as sadly traders other than the 'main' stores have gone out of business because of COVID/lockdown so the only brand I can really get access to is Jackson. I cannot find a single store that sells Edea other than the Piano or Ice Fly which are out of my budget and probably too advanced for me right now anyway.

Though I was only working on my 2 foot spin, my coach said I'm a quick learner so I plan to work hard and get to the level of learning single jumps, and I would like a boot that takes me to this level rather than having to spend even more money on a new boot again when I reach that level, if that makes sense. I would like a boot that will last me a few years, and a few levels.

I've been primarily considering the Jackson Freestyle Fusion FS2190 ( https://www.icemonster.com.au/jackson-freestyle-fusion-fs2190-skates.html ) based on comparison charts between Edea and Jackson. Would these be a good skate for me to last me through the levels? I've heard the blade pre-mounted isn't the best, but I can afford to upgrade the blade in the future years to come. If not, I was wondering what other options I have? The website Ice Monster listed above is the best store I have access to, that or ( https://iskate.com.au/ ).

I'm a student so I'm on a bit of a budget, I'd say $600 AUD is my maximum limit.

Sorry that was a long read, and I'm a bit lost comparing all of these skates, so help is really appreciated! Thank you so much in advance! :)
If you fit an EDEA then your foot honestly wouldn't be a great match for Jackson. And you were right, Ice Fly and Piano are way too advanced for you. :)

Do you have access to any other brands, Riedell or Graf? Those may work for you and if you do have access I could suggest styles in those brands that may work for you and are more appropriate for your skill set, even working forward into what you will be learning.

Also, welcome to the forum and the lutz corner.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was originally planning to just buy the Edea Overtures again, however unfortunately I cannot find a single place in Australia that sells them anymore, as sadly traders other than the 'main' stores have gone out of business because of COVID/lockdown so the only brand I can really get access to is Jackson. I cannot find a single store that sells Edea other than the Piano or Ice Fly which are out of my budget and probably too advanced for me right now anyway.
Have you tried Skatetrader in Queensland? I know they're an Edea dealer, I got my last pair of Chorus from them. I note their website is currently down but there is a phone number.

Elija

On the Ice
Hi, Bladeworx in Melbourne sell Edea. https://www.bladeworx.com.au/collections/figure-skates-boots

If they worked for you in the past and you know your size it shouldn’t be an issue to order them online from them. They also have other brands, although I know you can’t travel to Vic right now to try them. Skaters Edge here in NZ also sell them, and I believe they ship to Australia a lot. Their prices are pretty good too.

xieyasu

Spectator
Thank you everyone for your responses!

I have since gotten in contact with somebody from Skatetrader who has Edea Overtures in stock, however with the Charme blade rather than the Rotation blade. Is the Charme blade better than the Rotation blade, or should I think about getting the boots only, and different blades entirely?

Thank you so much again for your help!! :)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thank you everyone for your responses!

I have since gotten in contact with somebody from Skatetrader who has Edea Overtures in stock, however with the Charme blade rather than the Rotation blade. Is the Charme blade better than the Rotation blade, or should I think about getting the boots only, and different blades entirely?

Thank you so much again for your help!! :)
Get the boots separately, and invest in a decent quality blade to give yourself the best chance of enjoying your skating! I've tried the Rotation blade and, frankly, it's dreadful! I have no experience of the Charme but would recommend a blade such as MK Flight or MK Galaxy rather than either of those. You could also consider Coronation Ace or MK Professional to take you a bit further into your skating journey. Ask your coach's advice on this.

xieyasu

Spectator
Thank you so much for your help everybody! :)

Unfortunately after investigation, buying Edea Overture boots and Coronation Ace/MK Professional blades separate were a bit out of my budget, so I purchased the Edea Overture set (that comes with Charme blades) and I plan on upgrading the blade to a Coronation Ace or MK Professional as recommended by everyone in a year or so!

Thanks so much again, I really appreciate the advice given :) <3

Girlbird

On the Ice
Just an FYI as you consider upgrading in the future: You often can find slightly used Edea Choruses with Coronation Ace or MK Professionals, on Poshmark and other resale sites like Ebay, depending of course on your foot size (usually those are on the smaller end as they are kids and teens who outgrow their skates or level up out of their boots). good luck on your skating!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Just an FYI as you consider upgrading in the future: You often can find slightly used Edea Choruses with Coronation Ace or MK Professionals, on Poshmark and other resale sites like Ebay, depending of course on your foot size (usually those are on the smaller end as they are kids and teens who outgrow their skates or level up out of their boots). good luck on your skating!
I would not recommend it. This is a great way to get badly fitting/terrible quality boots or blades and get injured.

OP, please upgrade your blades ASAP. You won't be able to the skill level you want to in a year if you're skating on Charme blades. There's a reason they're only about 100 USD. It's because you're getting the quality of 100 USD. In skates you truly do get what you pay for.