Alena Kostornaia leaves Tutberidze | Page 50 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia leaves Tutberidze

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yes. Officially with plushenko. Betrayal is kind of harsh to be honest with you although I'm sure EG feels that way since she took Alena from being another pretty good skater to be a great skater. Benedict Arnold committed obvious betrayal . Alena Kostornia did not. The reality is aliona is a different kind of cat. She is not by any means of skating zombie 100% of the time. She's going a have a full life and she wants to be a doctor for real. That my friends is off the charts impressive more impressive than her beautiful skating is.

Like I said Aliona is different and if she had won Nationals and had a perfect debut season she still may have left EG if that's what she felt in her heart she needed to do. The whole thing is perplexing to us but Aliona wanted to do it for some reason and we shouldnt stop rooting for her.

I'll be her fan no matter what.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Why is it a betrayal, Mr. Rice? Surely you as a coach know better than most, that dancers/skaters/whatever can, and indeed should, leave a training situation when they feel it is not working for them. For whatever reasons:)

I think betrayal was the wrong word.......This is an excellent question. IMO, it's all in the way it's been handled. She's so young that her parents could have said, "We don't care for Eteri" In my case, I had to change studios because my parents got divorced and we moved away. In any case, I would never blame the skater, dancer, or student for things that are beyond their control. Isn't she still a teenager?
Aliona is 20. Well 16 going on 20. ;)

Well said about what could be going on. We all know once the parents get involved that can change things because Russian kids respect their parents a lot.

I'll be her fan no matter what.

Me too.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Yes, it’s very strange and I don’t understand why it’s like this! And I don’t think it was always available - I noticed it recently while watching another video of Sasha’s it came up as “recommended”. I’m going to do some investigating to see if any other videos from the GP are now available for me (USA).

Okay so if anyone cares I did some investigating into this and scrolled back on the ISU YouTube to see what’s currently available in the US:

The top 2 pairs SP from Skate America
Almost (but not all) medal winning segments from Skate Canada
No individual videos from IDF (but it looks like they accidentally uploaded a 4.5 hour long live stream a week later. It only has 957 views)
Nothing at all from CoC, Rostelecom or NHK
1 FD (Chock/Bates) from GPF.

It seems like I can see all the interviews and event highlights.

Very strange.

lzxnl

Final Flight
Okay so if anyone cares I did some investigating into this and scrolled back on the ISU YouTube to see what’s currently available in the US:

The top 2 pairs SP from Skate America
Almost (but not all) medal winning segments from Skate Canada
No individual videos from IDF (but it looks like they accidentally uploaded a 4.5 hour long live stream a week later. It only has 957 views)
Nothing at all from CoC, Rostelecom or NHK
1 FD (Chock/Bates) from GPF.

It seems like I can see all the interviews and event highlights.

Very strange.

They've geoblocked it in the US. When I was in the US before the pandemic, I would stream ISU events live using a browser with a VPN. If you use something like Opera, all of the programs will magically appear again.

SkateSkates

Medalist
They've geoblocked it in the US. When I was in the US before the pandemic, I would stream ISU events live using a browser with a VPN. If you use something like Opera, all of the programs will magically appear again.

Yes I know it’s supposed to be geoblocked in the US but the programs I listed above are available in the US without VPN. The point I’m trying to make is that some of the videos from the Grand Prix are available, while others are not, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason for it.

zounger

Medalist
Yes I know it’s supposed to be geoblocked in the US but the programs I listed above are available in the US without VPN. The point I’m trying to make is that some of the videos from the Grand Prix are available, while others are not, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason for it.

Maybe it has to do with the music used in each program.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Why are they blocking all these videos and don't these organizations that do this realize they're doing this to their sports fans? Don't they want more fans not rest fans for their support?

Does anyone know if Aliona had a back injury or not? My guess is no but there were rumors about this.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Why are they blocking all these videos and don't these organizations that do this realize they're doing this to their sports fans? Don't they want more fans not rest fans for their support?

Does anyone know if Aliona had a back injury or not? My guess is no but there were rumors about this.
There has been no specific information about a back injury.

Ella339

On the Ice
Aliona is 20. Well 16 going on 20. ;)
What an odd comment.
Despite looking more physically mature than some of her peers, Aliona is still very much a child.
I don't think it's particularly helpful for teenage girls when people pretend they're all grown-up, when actually, they are not.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
What an odd comment.
Despite looking more physically mature than some of her peers, Aliona is still very much a child.
I don't think it's particularly helpful for teenage girls when people pretend they're all grown-up, when actually, they are not.

There is odd and there is disingenuous. It suits people to pretend a teenager is an adult if they are 1. holding her culpable for decisions they deem questionable or 2. waxing lyrical over her 'beauty'. The latter could refer to skating skills or physical looks, but occasionally they let slip additional revelatory remarks.

The argument that a girl is 'mature for her age', taken on its own, is as general as the term 'beautiful', but the combination of the two implies justification of an age-inappropriate infatuation. Kind of like that creepy guy who kept hugging Kostornaia at a competition last year, or perhaps Cipres.

I'd better go back to avoiding female skaters' threads now, as I lack the resilience to be confronted on a regular basis by chauvinism and a severe lack of commas.

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
I actually believe that this method has begun to be abandoned by miitaries around the world who have become aware that scared recruits don't learn skills particularly well compared to those who feel safe.
Conscripts, professional servicemen, volunteers and mercenaries are completely different kinds of soldiers with their own advantages and disadvantages, and they require totally different approaches. Recently, the advantages of a professional standing army became more important than those of a conscript army, but it doesn't mean that treating conscripts as professionals would actually make them better soldiers.

gotoschool

Medalist
The reality is aliona is a different kind of cat. She is not by any means of skating zombie 100% of the time. She's going a have a full life and she wants to be a doctor for real. That my friends is off the charts impressive more impressive than her beautiful skating is.

So how many elite skaters now to your mind are what appears to be an "inferior" breed of cat that is a "skating zombie," if they don't have the intention of going to med school or have their eyes set on a great profession already? Makes me wonder what you think of normal people who are not really great at skating, being a doctor, or anything else for that matter, especially in the middle of global mass unemployment. Being a doctor is a really noble profession but it is also impressive to be a beautiful skater.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Yes. Officially with plushenko. Betrayal is kind of harsh to be honest with you although I'm sure EG feels that way since she took Alena from being another pretty good skater to be a great skater. Benedict Arnold committed obvious betrayal . Alena Kostornia did not. The reality is aliona is a different kind of cat. She is not by any means of skating zombie 100% of the time. She's going a have a full life and she wants to be a doctor for real. That my friends is off the charts impressive more impressive than her beautiful skating is.

Like I said Aliona is different and if she had won Nationals and had a perfect debut season she still may have left EG if that's what she felt in her heart she needed to do. The whole thing is perplexing to us but Aliona wanted to do it for some reason and we shouldnt stop rooting for her.
Is it genuinely impressive to "want to be a doctor"? I'm sure plenty of people want to become doctors. Actually becoming one is an entirely different thing, of course. I know people who spent a decade studying and still couldn't even get into a program.

"Skating zombie"? That's pretty rude, now isn't it?

Leaving Eteri's one thing and that she should have the right to do, but doing it outside the window and without proper procedure is not something I approve of.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Eteri's girls get smarter, they know what's coming and prepare accordingly. Kamila Valieva's birthday very conveniently will make her yet another 15-year old star for Olympics. No place for Alyona...

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
What an odd comment.
She looks like a 14yo imo.

Ella339

On the Ice
I don't disagree. When she wears no makeup, she looks like a little kid to me. But puberty has been more visible on her, and she styles herself a bit more "grown-up" as well, which is what earns her the lovely "mature" comments I was referencing...

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

That’s what I thought... Aliona, Anna and Sasha still look very very young. I mean, you can tell they’re not 12 anymore, but telling they’re 16-17 is wouldn’t be that easy, they all still look like kids right now (not that 16-17 is an adult, but you get what I’m trying to say).

Status
Not open for further replies.