Alexandra Paul killed in a car accident | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Alexandra Paul killed in a car accident

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The link of the interview is broken.

Both links are fixed to take you to the desired pages now.

By the way, I already posted this in my notice in their Fan Fest a couple of days ago, but thought I should copy it here now that I am back. The following long-running Paul / Islam fan page on Tumblr has some lovely recent photos of Alexandra, Mitchell and Charlie (and special guest Kirsten Moore-Towers):

https://paul-islam.tumblr.com/

Such a lovely little family. :cry:

CaroLiza_fan

yyzskater

On the Ice
What a lovely tribute to Alexandra from ISU. Skate Ontario has yet to mention anything about this tragedy, which seems in poor taste.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I'd never heard of her, and kept seeing articles on her death in random sites like HuffPost, DailyMail. I wondered what made this so newsworthy? Tragic, and condolences to the family.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Today I have a heavy heart as Alex is laid to rest. I think all of us who love skating or are Canadians or just have a heart must be wondering how could something so tragic happen to such a beautiful person with so much life before her and leaving behind a newborn who will never know his mom. I know it is "wrong" to think this but I always hoped good things would come Alex and Paul's way. Life is about timing and they would have been a mainstay in Canadian and probably even world skating (top ten at least) had things been just a bit different. They were around when Virtue and Moir reigned, WEaver and Poje; Gilles and Porier and soon after the Danadians. But this team had talent. But they remained classy and retired moving on to other things - for Alex law school - not exactly an easy task. Thank you and congrats to all the wonderful people who support Alex and the legacy she leaves behind out of such tragedy we see the kind hearts and thoughts of fans and especially the skating world and legal community. I am not sure what happened that caused the accident that ended Alex' life but that driver must have a lot of guilt. I pray for peace and healing. The reality is Mitch and Charlie will have to live on without Alex. It is far too early but the Go fund me page is important. Undoubtdly Alex is key to their economic survival and who knows what insurance she had or doesn't have. Hopefully they get a fair settlement though money will not make up for the loss of a loved one - her strength, wisdom, emotional support, love for her friends and family is forever lost Skating, law is what she did but she was a loving wife, mom, daughter, friend, colleague. That's who she is. Many of us many not know Alex personally but we can learn and be inspired to be kinder and gentler to even just one more soul each day. LIFE IS TOO PRECIOUS AND SHORT. To Alex your life is worth something more than a medal. RIP To Mitch and Charlie this is the time for those who love you to build you up so you can climb mountains once again.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Today I have a heavy heart as Alex is laid to rest. I think all of us who love skating or are Canadians or just have a heart must be wondering how could something so tragic happen to such a beautiful person with so much life before her and leaving behind a newborn who will never know his mom. I know it is "wrong" to think this but I always hoped good things would come Alex and Paul's way. Life is about timing and they would have been a mainstay in Canadian and probably even world skating (top ten at least) had things been just a bit different. They were around when Virtue and Moir reigned, WEaver and Poje; Gilles and Porier and soon after the Danadians. But this team had talent. But they remained classy and retired moving on to other things - for Alex law school - not exactly an easy task. Thank you and congrats to all the wonderful people who support Alex and the legacy she leaves behind out of such tragedy we see the kind hearts and thoughts of fans and especially the skating world and legal community. I am not sure what happened that caused the accident that ended Alex' life but that driver must have a lot of guilt. I pray for peace and healing. The reality is Mitch and Charlie will have to live on without Alex. It is far too early but the Go fund me page is important. Undoubtdly Alex is key to their economic survival and who knows what insurance she had or doesn't have. Hopefully they get a fair settlement though money will not make up for the loss of a loved one - her strength, wisdom, emotional support, love for her friends and family is forever lost Skating, law is what she did but she was a loving wife, mom, daughter, friend, colleague. That's who she is. Many of us many not know Alex personally but we can learn and be inspired to be kinder and gentler to even just one more soul each day. LIFE IS TOO PRECIOUS AND SHORT. To Alex your life is worth something more than a medal. RIP To Mitch and Charlie this is the time for those who love you to build you up so you can climb mountains once again.
They were always a beautiful and classy couple and excellent representatives for Canada. They were also just genuinely nice people. This is tragic in the way that Gordeeva losing Grinkov was for me. I remember Gordeeva saying how very disappointed she was with life afterwards and I am sure Mitch feels similarly. It will be so hard to move on from this. I add my thoughts and prayers for the family as they begin their recovery.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
They were always a beautiful and classy couple and excellent representatives for Canada. They were also just genuinely nice people. This is tragic in the way that Gordeeva losing Grinkov was for me. I remember Gordeeva saying how very disappointed she was with life afterwards and I am sure Mitch feels similarly. It will be so hard to move on from this. I add my thoughts and prayers for the family as they begin their recovery.
It is sad that those who were not directly involved in their lives we learn so much more about Alex the person in death. I think about losing my dad and wishing I had done more when he was alive than in death. I think the Go Fund Me campaign to help baby Charlie and Mitch out is a wonderful idea. It may sound crast but while we don't know the personal circumstances of the Islam family there are all sorts of financial challenges as a single parent, who knows about insurance, mortgages and now daycare on one income etc.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is sad that those who were not directly involved in their lives we learn so much more about Alex the person in death. I think about losing my dad and wishing I had done more when he was alive than in death. I think the Go Fund Me campaign to help baby Charlie and Mitch out is a wonderful idea. It may sound crast but while we don't know the personal circumstances of the Islam family there are all sorts of financial challenges as a single parent, who knows about insurance, mortgages and now daycare on one income etc.
Update. THank you to such kind and wonderful people the Go Fund Me page has been closed once it hit $300,000. Money can't replace Alex but it hopefully will help. It is natural for us to assume that as she was a lawyer she would probably have a huge impact on the family income. Forget being a mother and wife. I can only imagine. I come from a poor family if we had lost our mom we would have been starving with no roof over our heads.