Alexandra Trusova | Page 173 | Golden Skate

Alexandra Trusova

Scott512

Record Breaker
You forgot about Aliona too...if she gets her 3A back and Kamila continues her upward trend...

Maybe Sasha should focus on 2026 more? I mean it's risky and all, but think about it...quads should (probably) be allowed in SP, she could focus on upping the choreo content and all that. Quietly getting stronger and stronger in the background rather than busting a gut trying to change the narrative from "One-note jumping bean" in one season?
I didn't forget about Aliona. I think she will be focus and flying next season but we just don't know. How good will KV get? Will the International judges like her a lot like the Russian judges do? Will Sasha have a short program that she can push 80 points. If she does it will set her up great for the free skate and she can win even with a couple mistakes.

2026 is possible but unikely. Right now sasha needs a rest rest her body and whatever leg or hip injury she had since November and she probably needs a mental rest as well because this was a crazy pandemic season.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
This tango version could work for her SP. Played at 1.5x speed; the original tempo is too slow for a figure skating program. Could be a different arrangement but the same classical sound (no screechy violins please).

As for the dress, I would like one similar to Valeria S's -- maybe just red plus gold, saving blue for her FS dress. Really good designer, Plushy should hire them again.

I haven't found a good FS music piece and dress yet.
Oblivion's a bit of a warhorse though... FYI the 2018-19 ice dance season is a good place to look for innovative skate-friendly examples of tango music (besides the gazillion Oblivions of course).

Agree, Shulskaya's designer is great. Although I like the dressmaker that Sasha finally went with this season too.

NaVi

Medalist
Trusova received terrible draws and she did prove in practice she can do a clean 5 quad runthrough... but over time towards the Olympics they need to decide on a set of elements she should focus on and a set layout. I once said that she should mix up her jump layouts to keep the judges from getting bored with her... and they've been doing that to a extreme extent.

I find being a fan of Trusova to be very frustrating as I can't understand the strategy behind the jump layout decisions. Seems like they swing between strategies. She keeps swinging from one extreme to another. Last year at the GPF she was doing 3A and a 5 quad FS and and by Europeans she was not doing the 3A and was doing a 3 quad FS. This year she swung in the opposite direction where she did a 3 quad FS at the channel one trophy and then at Worlds she was going for a 5 quad FS and seemingly the 3A in the SP. (this latter could be a matter of peaking but still)

Personally, I would prefer that she focused on doing 4 quad programs with 3 different types of quads.

The problem with 5 quad programs is that she has to warm up 4 different types of quads which seems too physically and mentally stressful and may start interfering with her training of her other elements. And really, 5 quads really takes away from the rest of the program.... 4 is already pushing this pretty hard.

Why not 3 quad programs? She's attempted 4+ quad programs for so long that downgrading seems like an attack on her self-identity. It just seems like 3 quad programs haven't worked out well for her either.

She's had a couple really bad 4 quad FS outings, but her highest scores and best results have come from 4 quad programs. She should stick with that.

I love her 4S, but it has a tendency to set a bad tone for her FS at the beginning(GPF 2019, 2020 Rostelecom, 2021 Worlds). I may be wrong, but it seems like it could be the hardest jump to warm up because of the entry. I'd go with the flip, lutz, and toe as the 3 quad types.

I would only go for one quad in the bonus, but if they do go for two quads they should probably make them both 4T.

I would like her to be more aggressive in the short program and go for the 3A and maybe even the 3Lz+3Lo. This may be hard to setup, but a good strategy might be that if she does the 3A that she should push her luck and do the combination as the last element. If it's not done well she should play conservative and do the combination on the 2nd jump pass to give herself a hail mary chance in the free skate.

I've had this the opinion that she should be going for the 3A in the SP and for doing a 4 quad FS without the 4S since last year's Euros.

Last edited:

Vemvane

On the Ice
An excerpt from a 1tv report on Worlds.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM7s-1cpzBP/

And a photo of her from the medal ceremony, with her bronze.

165520604_553959972244387_1787681517834435098_n.jpg

Source.

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Trusova received terrible draws and she did prove in practice she can do a clean 5 quad runthrough... but over time towards the Olympics they need to decide on a set of elements she should focus on and a set layout. I once said that she should mix up her jump layouts to keep the judges from getting bored with her... and they've been doing that to a extreme extent.

I find being a fan of Trusova to be very frustrating as I can't understand the strategy behind the jump layout decisions. Seems like they swing between strategies. She keeps swinging from one extreme to another. Last year at the GPF she was doing 3A and a 5 quad FS and and by Europeans she was not doing the 3A and was doing a 3 quad FS. This year she swung in the opposite direction where she did a 3 quad FS at the channel one trophy and then at Worlds she was going for a 5 quad FS and seemingly the 3A in the SP. (this latter could be a matter of peaking but still)

Personally, I would prefer that she focused on doing 4 quad programs with 3 different types of quads.

The problem with 5 quad programs is that she has to warm up 4 different types of quads which seems too physically and mentally stressful and may start interfering with her training of her other elements. And really, 5 quads really takes away from the rest of the program.... 4 is already pushing this pretty hard.

Why not 3 quad programs? She's attempted 4+ quad programs for so long that downgrading seems like an attack on her self-identity. It just seems like 3 quad programs haven't worked out well for her either.

She's had a couple really bad 4 quad FS outings, but her highest scores and best results have come from 4 quad programs. She should stick with that.

I love her 4S, but it has a tendency to set a bad tone for her FS at the beginning(GPF 2019, 2020 Rostelecom, 2021 Worlds). I may be wrong, but it seems like it could be the hardest jump to warm up because of the entry. I'd go with the flip, lutz, and toe as the 3 quad types.

I would only go for one quad in the bonus, but if they do go for two quads they should probably make them both 4T.

I would like her to be more aggressive in the short program and go for the 3A and maybe even the 3Lz+3Lo. This may be hard to setup, but a good strategy might be that if she does the 3A that she should push her luck and do the combination as the last element. If it's not done well she should play conservative and do the combination on the 2nd jump pass to give herself a hail mary chance in the free skate.

I've had this the opinion that she should be going for the 3A in the SP and for doing a 4 quad FS without the 4S since last year's Euros.

To be fair, her coaches last year probably had a different strategy from the ones this year...

I too think that a 4 quad layout would be a good balance between leaving room for error and going clean. She could train all 5 types of quad, but just pick 2-3 types of jump that are working best in the weeks leading up to a certain event. Looking at the precedent set by Nathan and Yuzuru, 4 seems to be their default (3 early in the season or if not in top shape), with Nathan building up to 5 at key events.

As for 3A, I don't know how secure she is with that. If it's really far off, she could probably afford to forgo the SP advantage it brings and just focus on 4 quads in the free, since the risk of injury is not worth it. If it's improved from the last time we saw it and she can safely attempt it, I'd stick it in the SP but not the LP (to avoid affecting quads).

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia

I find being a fan of Trusova to be very frustrating as I can't understand the strategy behind the jump layout decisions. ....
I can only judge by Sasha's last interviews. 5 quadruple jumps in FP - she can do it, she does it. This is her goal. And if you analyze the results of the competition and the judges' preferences with an open mind, then 5 quads + 3A is the only way to achieve an unconditional victory for Sasha. I myself find it difficult to come to terms with this. But there’s no other way. The clean run with two quads at the Russian Championship was great. But the result is almost 20 points of loss with equal BV. It was hoped that international judges would be more objective. In vain. To hope that rivals will make mistakes and give her victories - Sasha is the only skater in the world who can afford to do without it.

Ella339

On the Ice
Actually I don't understand anymore whether more or less risk is better for her. We used to think that 5 quads program is riskier because it's physically demanding but it seems less of a problem for her now compared to her nerves.
Doesn't it seem like at the moment, she has a choice between planning 2-3 quads and landing them, or planning 5 and landing the same 2-3? She might as well go for the bolder layout! We know she's capable of landing the 5 in practice. I think - I hope :pray: - she can build up to landing all 5 in competition too.

I too think that a 4 quad layout would be a good balance between leaving room for error and going clean. She could train all 5 types of quad, but just pick 2-3 types of jump that are working best in the weeks leading up to a certain event. Looking at the precedent set by Nathan and Yuzuru, 4 seems to be their default (3 early in the season or if not in top shape), with Nathan building up to 5 at key events.
A bit more conservative than my approach, but yes, that would be a good start.

Scott512

Record Breaker

Definitely a 4 quad program at the most because none of the other girls contending for the podium and the Olympics or world championship are going to do more than 2.

And Sasha needs to use the SP as a set up for the free skate and nothing more. I guarantee that's what the federation were washed from her with the short program. Anna was not at her best and if sasha had scored 76 in the SP the free skate it would have been a lot more interesting. She would have only been about 4 points behind Anya and the pressure on Anya would have been much greater in the free skate. As we know Anna pretty much cruised to the gold medal.

Hoping Sasha can get away from figure skating for a few weeks let her body heal up and then have great programs for next season. The coaches need to be very consistent with what they're doing. What happened to Aliona this year with all those programs was an issue.

Scott512

Record Breaker
In an interview, Sasha again spoke about the injustice of banning quadruple jumps in SP for women. For
the exhibition program is not prohibited - Sasha jumps 4Lz .:devil:

Lady skaters that can't by the rules do a quad in the SP are handicapped to a certain degree. I expect that to change after the Olympics.

Astolat

On the Ice
Country
Poland
For the SP, she could keep somethig soft and romantic to show everyone how heckin lyrical she can be (as the queen she is).