All Brian Joubert News! | Page 5 | Golden Skate

All Brian Joubert News!

newvie

Rinkside
I'm just worried that he has too much ambition about high-level jumps.
I know he's not totally ready yet, but his frequent jump mistakes at TEB overshadowed his overall presentation quality.
I hope he will be ready by Feb. and get on the podium :biggrin:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Bumping up the Brian-thread...

I hope that Plushenko's performance liberates Brian somehow. He is not the favourite anymore, jumpwise, I mean. He is back into the role of the younger one who tries to triumph over the established superstar. I just hope that he skates like he did in 2004, where he had one clean and technically sound performance after the other - he really put the pressure on Plushenko back then. And maybe he will stop talking as if he was dying of old age - Plushenko is older and still got those Quads down.

schiele

Final Flight
Bumping up the Brian-thread...

And maybe he will stop talking as if he was dying of old age - Plushenko is older and still got those Quads down.

Agreed but Plush is superhuman, I mean he must be.. :laugh:
But other than Plushy, he's basically competing with many youngsters. Even Lambiel or Verner are younger if I'm not mistaken.
But I truely hope Plush's consistent quads will force many, who refuse to take risks, to feel obliged to take up the quad. Then we will see how they can control that kinda pressure..

Medusa

Record Breaker
Agreed but Plush is superhuman, I mean he must be.. :laugh:
But other than Plushy, he's basically competing with many youngsters. Even Lambiel or Verner are younger if I'm not mistaken.
But I truely hope Plush's consistent quads will force many, who refuse to take risks, to feel obliged to take up the quad. Then we will see how they can control that kinda pressure..
Yep, Lambiel only about half a year though. Weir, KVDP, Contesti, Berntsson and some others are older than Joubert.

Dito about the quads, I would love to see more quads, more daring jump layouts. There is a discipline for edging, transitions etc. - it's called ice-dance. Single skating and Pair skating are different disciplines because of the jumps.

schiele

Final Flight
Yep, Lambiel only about half a year though. Weir, KVDP, Contesti, Berntsson and some others are older than Joubert.

Dito about the quads, I would love to see more quads, more daring jump layouts. There is a discipline for edging, transitions etc. - it's called ice-dance. Single skating and Pair skating are different disciplines because of the jumps.

Couldn't have said it better myself.. Hence the admiration for Joubert for sticking to quads even though it did not pay off point-wise (vs. axel)..

SusieH

On the Ice
So how is he? Any news regarding his recent practices, routines, weight, jumps, and etc?

His condition at TEB really worried me. But it seems in the past two years he always struggled a bit in the beginning of the season. I think (and hope) he will have a better showing at NHK.

My sincere apology for being off-topic first, but recently I began to feel Joubert and Mao resemble each other a lot in many ways, especially in this Olympic season--- the unwillingness to leave their hometown, the sheer will to up the technical content of their programs, the way-too-much pressure they put on themselves...OK, I will stop here. Just need to get it off my chest :)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
So how is he? Any news regarding his recent practices, routines, weight, jumps, and etc?

His condition at TEB really worried me. But it seems in the past two years he always struggled a bit in the beginning of the season. I think (and hope) he will have a better showing at NHK.

My sincere apology for being off-topic first, but recently I began to feel Joubert and Mao resemble each other a lot in many ways, especially in this Olympic season--- the unwillingness to leave their hometown, the sheer will to up the technical content of their programs, the way-too-much pressure they put on themselves...OK, I will stop here. Just need to get it off my chest :)
Joubert's most recent comments that I know of were that he's not aiming to be at 100% at this point, that he'd been having some trouble with the SP in training, and that he remains committed to the new LP, which he really likes. I've read - not sure if it's true - that Albena and Maxim may tinker a bit with the SP.

schiele

Final Flight
Maxim and Albena are in Poitiers. They will be until October 29 th.

I think the SP may be readjusted in some places, especially considering he received level 2 for both step sequences in TEB. :disapp:

SusieH

On the Ice
I think the SP may be readjusted in some places, especially considering he received level 2 for both step sequences in TEB. :disapp:

Oh, I hope he gets all the tweakings down as soon as possible. I really want to see him shine at NHK. It will be such an exciting men's event!

I don't know, but Joubert always strikes me as the one who loves and needs to have an arch enemy. Now that Plushenko is back in such great form and looks totally committed to earning another OMG...I hope he feels his blood boiling. :yes:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Brian Joubert news from today: Brian says he took a few days off after TEB because he was exhausted, then worked with Albena and Maxim to make some changes to his programs. He feels he has two good programs even if the results so far have not been great, and hopes to skate two clean programs at NHK. He also repeats the stuff about peaking too early in 2007 and having a hard time sustaining that level, adding that he started 2003-4 with so-so results but peaked at the right time.

The article this came from is in French, which I can sort of read but not well - so I used babelfish, and some nuances may have been lost in translation.

schiele

Final Flight
Brian Joubert news from today: Brian says he took a few days off after TEB because he was exhausted, then worked with Albena and Maxim to make some changes to his programs. He feels he has two good programs even if the results so far have not been great, and hopes to skate two clean programs at NHK. He also repeats the stuff about peaking too early in 2007 and having a hard time sustaining that level, adding that he started 2003-4 with so-so results but peaked at the right time.

The article this came from is in French, which I can sort of read but not well - so I used babelfish, and some nuances may have been lost in translation.

Thanks for the update! I'm so anxious to see him in better shape in NHK..

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I agree with Brian that his programs are great, although they need some ajustment.

I personnaly think that his TEB performances went completely negative. Firstly, he attempted 2 quads in his LP, which is essential if he wants to do 3 again. Secondly, although technically the LP was a disaster, artisticly I haven't seen Brian perform in such a way for ages.

schiele

Final Flight
I agree with Brian that his programs are great, although they need some ajustment.

I personnaly think that his TEB performances went completely negative. Firstly, he attempted 2 quads in his LP, which is essential if he wants to do 3 again. Secondly, although technically the LP was a disaster, artisticly I haven't seen Brian perform in such a way for ages.

Agree on the latter part. I very much enjoyed the programme.
However, I heard him complain about the difficult entries into jumps now that he's paying more attention to transitions and I'm wondering if the work with the choreographers this past weeks involved simplifying the programme?? In fact, I don't think he needs to pay much attention to transitions anyway, as he is branded as a non-transitional skater now (thx to someone who shall be unnamed) and any effort he's putting in right in that area now is likely to be overlooked in the short run. So focusing on his strenghts in the olympic year might have been a good strategy indeed. Just my thoughts..

Buttercup

Record Breaker
However, I heard him complain about the difficult entries into jumps now that he's paying more attention to transitions and I'm wondering if the work with the choreographers this past weeks involved simplifying the programme?? In fact, I don't think he needs to pay much attention to transitions anyway, as he is branded as a non-transitional skater now (thx to someone who shall be unnamed) and any effort he's putting in right in that area now is likely to be overlooked in the short run. So focusing on his strenghts in the olympic year might have been a good strategy indeed. Just my thoughts..
Apparently they did make some changes in that area - Brian mentioned that the entry into the quad (not sure if he meant one of them or all of them) wasn't working and that it's been changed. I guess we'll see the results soon. I can't imagine DenStavs sending him out there with an empty program, I'm guessing it's more about getting the right balance in the program.

Last edited:

schiele

Final Flight
Apparently they did make some changes in that area - Brian mentioned that the entry into the quad (which one?) wasn't working and that it's been changed. I guess we'll see the results soon. I can't imagine DenStavs sending him out there with an empty program, I'm guessing it's more about getting the right balance in the program.

I guess you're right, after all it's also their rep as new-comer choreographers, that's on stake. I hope the general feeling of the programme can be sustained with the required changes Brian felt he needed.. Hoping for a better outcome in NHK.. Go Brian! :rock:

antmanb

Record Breaker
To be honest if they've simplified the entrances into the quads then good, because who does have transitions into and out of their quads?

Surely it makes more sense to add transitions into your money jumps rather than the most difficult elements, afterall landing the quads is an achievement in itself.

I think that if Plush is going to get credit for front loading all of his jumps void of any transitions or choreography then Brian should have a similar plan for his opening quads just to get them landed.

Ant

Danale

On the Ice
Albena and Maxim interview from Absolute Skating
Never liked them, presonally, but they talk about working with Brian, so there.
I'll agree on this:
ALBENA: I think the French skaters are really creative in general. I enjoy Candeloro...
MAXIM: Laurent Tobel and Stanick Jeannette...

Buttercup

Record Breaker
A quick interview with Brian Joubert - about winning NHK and what it means to him, the costume change, and Plushenko's return. Best of all: it's in English! Which means I don't need anyone to translate for me ;).

leruiz

Rinkside
I just want to say that I'm so happy that he did good in this past competition and hope that whatever changes he and his trainer make continue to work. It seems a step in the right direction