Alysa Liu Changes Coaches to Lee Barkell | Golden Skate

Alysa Liu Changes Coaches to Lee Barkell

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Here’s official confirmation! Alysa Liu will be leaving her current coach, Laura Lipetsky, to Lee Barkell. She will continue to use Lori Nichol as a choreographer.
She will also work with Massimo Scali.

USFS Press Release

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (June 22, 2020) - Two-time and reigning U.S. champion Alysa Liu announced today that she will begin training under a new team of coaches, including Lee Barkell, Lori Nichol and Massimo Scali. She has worked with all the coaches except Barkell in the past.Liu, who became the youngest lady to win a U.S. title at age 13 in 2019, will continue to be based in Oakland, California.
“I am very excited to announce that I will be training under the guidance of a new team of coaches including Lee Barkell, Lori Nichol and Massimo Scali," Liu said. "I look forward to working with all my coaches even though some of them are located in different parts of the world.”

Liu is the youngest skater in history to land a triple Axel in international competitions (2018 Asian Open), and the first U.S. lady to land a quadruple Lutz in international competitions (2019 Junior Grand Prix Lake Placid and Poland). She also became the youngest skater to win back-to-back U.S. titles in 2019-20. Internationally, she won the silver medal at the 2019 ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final and the bronze medal at the 2020 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships.

Liu was previously coached by Laura Lipetsky.

“I want to take this opportunity to thank my former coach Laura Lipetsky for everything she has done for me since the beginning of my career,” Liu said. “We’ve worked so closely together, and she has helped me get to where I am today.”

Liu will compete as a junior internationally and senior domestically during the 2020-21 season.

I hope Alysa improves with her new coaches! How do people think she will do with them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Caustica

Final Flight
Not surprised -- now is the moment to make big coaching changes (despite the situation, we're still in a four-year cycle). I wish her all the best.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm excited for her. I think training with Satoko and Gabby will be an inspiration for her. I believe change can be good.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Kind of disappointed. A panic move. Alysa with Laura is on the way to being the best American woman skater since Tara or Michelle. I absolutely adore her so I hope it works out. We shall see.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Its interesting to announce it now when I'm not sure if she will be able to enter Canada to stay long-term? Our land border is closed but currently you can fly into Canada from the US (and vice versa) as long as you self-isolate when you arrive for 14 days. I suppose she will be able to find ice time without a problem, but I wonder how USFS feels about her coming up here? I wonder if she has family and/or a guardian accompanying her given her age? My understanding is that US skaters like Jason Brown were asked to "come home" by USFS at the beginning of the pandemic. I'm curious when/if these skaters will be able to return to their normal coaching situations.

truthbooth

On the Ice
Its interesting to announce it now when I'm not sure if she will be able to enter Canada to stay long-term? Our land border is closed but currently you can fly into Canada from the US (and vice versa) as long as you self-isolate when you arrive for 14 days. I suppose she will be able to find ice time without a problem, but I wonder how USFS feels about her coming up here? I wonder if she has family and/or a guardian accompanying her given her age? My understanding is that US skaters like Jason Brown were asked to "come home" by USFS at the beginning of the pandemic. I'm curious when/if these skaters will be able to return to their normal coaching situations.

Alysa plans to keep her training base in Oakland, CA. Massimo Scali is based in the Bay Area, so I assume she'd work with him on most days? It's unclear how often she plans to visit with Lee and Lori, especially during the pandemic.

Amei

Record Breaker
I wish that she would have looked at changing choreographer first, her choreography has been 1-dimensional cutesy skating for 2 years.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think this is a good move for Alyssa. We all have to remember how young she is! Just like Michelle Kwan did, Alyssa has to start skating like a senior not just as a senior. Her music and her choreography were very age appropriate but time to up her game. Best wishes.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I wish her the best, she seems a lovely kid and I hope she goes far.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am not sure how this can practically work, because Alysa and her family clearly are not moving to Toronto, and I'm not even sure how she could spend months at a time there.:confused:

But I always support a skaters' decision and best of luck to Alysa:clap:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I am not sure how this can practically work, because Alysa and her family clearly are not moving to Toronto, and I'm not even sure how she could spend months at a time there.:confused:

I agree. I know she's still a Junior but I hope Lori will give her more sophisticated programs. If this season doesn't happen, they'll be working on her Senior Programs.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

When Yuzu first went to Brian Orser, he was still in high school in Japan, which meant even more travelling than Alysa wold be looking at, it takes discipline and a really staggering amount of family support, but it may be that they've thought of that with having more than one involved in the coaching.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
When Yuzu first went to Brian Orser, he was still in high school in Japan, which meant even more travelling than Alysa wold be looking at, it takes discipline and a really staggering amount of family support, but it may be that they've thought of that with having more than one involved in the coaching.

This was also with Yuna Kim! Her first season with BOrser (2006-2007) she was still living in Korea, then she moved to Canada full time (2007-2008)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This was also with Yuna Kim! Her first season with BOrser (2006-2007) she was still living in Korea, then she moved to Canada full time (2007-2008)

And while as I understand it, Alysa is younger than both of them, USA-Canada travel isn't as big a distance or as different a culture... I imagine it's all been carefully thought out.

It's interesting to watch, even through the current world crisis, all these girls (Sasha, Rika, Alysa) planning and positioning for 2022, all with their eyes on the big one.

natsulian

Final Flight
As I've said before in a prior thread, I will say it again: best of luck to Alysa Liu. Coaching changes can cause an immense amount of unnerve (as any type of change usually does) due to the uncertainty of the future, but Alysa Liu can most definitely find success. Liu possesses steely nerves, a drive only matched by very few people, and a sense of self that is beyond her years. As a 17-year-old, I look up this 14-year-old prodigy not only for her remarkable skills on the ice, but for her passion, drive, and outlook on life. I send Liu the best of luck her way.

alexaa

Final Flight
And while as I understand it, Alysa is younger than both of them, USA-Canada travel isn't as big a distance or as different a culture... I imagine it's all been carefully thought out.

It's interesting to watch, even through the current world crisis, all these girls (Sasha, Rika, Alysa) planning and positioning for 2022, all with their eyes on the big one.

She has 4 younger siblings and her dad is single parent.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I didn't expect this, makes me feel a little sad for the coach who really made the best out of nothing almost.

Alysa's talent is undeniable but the field in US at her age is nowhere near to that level, so to keep the skater motivated to keep pushing and not be satisfied considering she could win nationals with less contents, that is an achievement.

Hope for the best for both skater and coach.