Alysa Liu | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Alysa Liu

Scott512

Record Breaker
Good luck a junior worlds even though she should be at senior worlds. If Alysa nails her programs she could beat anyone in the world. Remember only won the silver medal at Junior Grand Prix final because of her mistakes. If she eliminated a couple of those mistakes he would have won the gold easily.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Somehow missed this, but there was an article about Alysa in IFS Magazine, posted on Feb. 25:
https://www.ifsmagazine.com/alysa-liu-sets-sights-on-world-junior-podium/

I love her outlook on the competition at JWC. She's definitely playing the long game. I also can't wait to see how much she's improved! Her planned content still shows the 3A-3T in the short. Two 3As and one 4Lz in the FS. I'll be interested to see if she keeps that or goes for something else.

Good luck Alysa!

Alysa seems too good to be true all the way around. For her to be so warm and gracious at age 14 is just remarkable especially since the spotlight I shined on her for the last 2 years. Her friends and family should be very proud of the person she is. But Alysa has grown by 3 or 4 inches in the last year and is almost as tall as Aliona now. She has about two more years to grow and I hope puberty is not hard on her. Because I can throw a monkey wrench on her potential greatness.

macy

Record Breaker
Somehow missed this, but there was an article about Alysa in IFS Magazine, posted on Feb. 25:
https://www.ifsmagazine.com/alysa-liu-sets-sights-on-world-junior-podium/

I love her outlook on the competition at JWC. She's definitely playing the long game. I also can't wait to see how much she's improved! Her planned content still shows the 3A-3T in the short. Two 3As and one 4Lz in the FS. I'll be interested to see if she keeps that or goes for something else.

Good luck Alysa!

she is SO laidback. i hope she keeps that mindset as she grows, it will help her tremendously in competition.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Merci beacoups!

Alysa is just amazing with such a humongous upside as a figure skater. I absolutely love her warm and genuine sweetness. She just oozes love and radiates warmth. I only hope she stays that way as she grows and becomes more famous and more successful and the millions and millions of dollars in sponsorship deals roll in.

I know Alysa believes she should win every competition she enters and I feel the same way. Because of her ability to nail triple axels and quads in the free skate she is the favorite every event she enters. The only way she can lose is by making multiple mistakes like she did in the free skate at the junior Grand Prix final. Much respect for her for not playing it safe and raising the bar so high. As special as Kamila is the gold metal is in Alysa’s hands to win or lose.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
Merci beacoups!

Alysa is just amazing with such a humongous upside as a figure skater. I absolutely love her warm and genuine sweetness. She just oozes love and radiates warmth. I only hope she stays that way as she grows and becomes more famous and more successful and the millions and millions of dollars in sponsorship deals roll in.

I know Alysa believes she should win every competition she enters and I feel the same way. Because of her ability to nail triple axels and quads in the free skate she is the favorite every event she enters. The only way she can lose is by making multiple mistakes like she did in the free skate at the junior Grand Prix final. Much respect for her for not playing it safe and raising the bar so high. As special as Kamila is the gold metal is in Alysa’s hands to win or lose.

I agree with You, Alysa is really an amazing skater and such a positive young girl. A great role model for future generation of skaters - focused, driven but at the same time happy and relaxed :)

Yet she gets so much hate, especially from russian "fans". She's barely 14 years old, she is improving every competition, right in front of our eyes. Yes, I understand she is a massive threat to the russian ladies domination but she's just a teenager, no need to bash her. She's obviously a hard worker and from her interviews I can see she's not only positive but also very humble and modest. Some of the so called "fans" could use some of her attitude.

Just stay amazing Alysa :) and good luck in the JWC!

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I agree with You, Alysa is really an amazing skater and such a positive young girl. A great role model for future generation of skaters - focused, driven but at the same time happy and relaxed :)

I agree with this part.

Yet she gets so much hate, especially from russian "fans". She's barely 14 years old, she is improving every competition, right in front of our eyes. Yes, I understand she is a massive threat to the russian ladies domination but she's just a teenager, no need to bash her. She's obviously a hard worker and from her interviews I can see she's not only positive but also very humble and modest. Some of the so called "fans" could use some of her attitude.

On the other hand, this is just another part of "evil Russians just hate Alysa" narrative. It's not Alysa's fault that so many people just chose her to be the one will certainly finish the reign of hell, which they proclaim all over the forum. If you read for ten times even in RLT "russian girls have no chance against Alysa", it's starting to be annoying and some may fight back.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
On the other hand, this is just another part of "evil Russians just hate Alysa" narrative. It's not Alysa's fault that so many people just chose her to be the one will certainly finish the reign of hell, which they proclaim all over the forum. If you read for ten times even in RLT "russian girls have no chance against Alysa", it's starting to be annoying and some may fight back.

Actually my statement is based on a ton of russian comments under Alysa's skating videos on YouTube. And not only there, on this forum there are russian uber "fans" who also often write about Alysa, maybe not straight mean stuff but extremely passive-agressive which is just as offensive. It's not my imaginary narrative, it's based on facts unfortunately.
I am not claiming russian girls don't get the same treatement from Alysa's "fans" - they do. I just didn't write about this because it's Alysa's FP, therefore I only spoke about Alysa.

Also, TSL's annoying comments don't justify attacking anybody. If somebody feels annoyed by them there are options like: don't watch them or deal with your emotions yourself, not by attacking an innocent, teenage girl.

Anyway, I am not looking for creating any sort of conflict, I simply wanted to express that I feel sad that a teenage girl has to experience such harsh reality :( I hope she can deal with it along the way and remain strong-minded like some of her russian competitors :)

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Actually my statement is based on a ton of russian comments under Alysa's skating videos on YouTube. And not only there, on this forum there are russian uber "fans" who also often write about Alysa, maybe not straight mean stuff but extremely passive-agressive which is just as offensive. It's not my imaginary narrative, it's based on facts unfortunately.
I am not claiming russian girls don't get the same treatement from Alysa's "fans" - they do. I just didn't write about this because it's Alysa's FP, therefore I only spoke about Alysa.

Also, TSL's annoying comments don't justify attacking anybody. If somebody feels annoyed by them there are options like: don't watch them or deal with your emotions yourself, not by attacking an innocent, teenage girl.

Anyway, I am not looking for creating any sort of conflict, I simply wanted to express that I feel sad that a teenage girl has to experience such harsh reality :( I hope she can deal with it along the way and remain strong-minded like some of her russian competitors :)

OK, Ive deleted my original reaction, that's no place for it here.

NaVi

Medalist
Yet she gets so much hate, especially from russian "fans".

I've seen very, very few Russian haters and I was probably the first one to bring this up in the forum. When the ISU posted an Instagram picture of Liu which they closed the comments because of the types of comments, not one of the commenters I can remember(I wrote few below but I don't think there was any) was Russian(and I'm really good at picking out their 2nd language english mannerisms) . I have not noticed much on youtube either. I haven't read the Russian news sites(using google translate) in a while, but they used to be pretty positive too in the comment sections.

Old post:
My big hope is that people take a healthy attitude to competition and be careful what they say and how they say it. That last part directed to the Russian Fed which as late has come off as kind of abrasive... their spokeswoman recently double downed on nonsense(that I hope she didn't get from me) about a competitor from a country Russian skaters tour at. Alysia Liu with her jump content is just going to win some of the times. It's important to win sometimes and important to always be in the hunt, but winning every time (rightfully or wrongfully) may lead people to start questioning the sport.

I will say that (surprisingly and kind of weirdly) I saw very few Russians engaging in the pile on that led to the isufigureskating instagram accounting shutting down comments on one of their Alysia Liu posts. And I didn't agree with the "prerotation" criticism people harp on then, but she was treated a bit leniently technically there. Her practice jumps here all look good though.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Alysa did well today. The gap on the top is minimal and everything can happen tomorrow. :thumbsup:

macy

Record Breaker
Alysa did well today. The gap on the top is minimal and everything can happen tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Yes, especially if she goes clean. if she does, i expect at least silver depending on how Kamila does. if she is also clean, there's no way she will lose.

Scott512

Record Breaker

Alot of people worldwide could use Alysa's great attitude. Myself included.

Tara Lipinski was like this at 14 years old as well but I think Alysa is warmer and more grown-up than Tara was at 14.

Alysa has an amazing array a difficult content especially in her free skate. If she hits her programs she wins. That is where the threat comes from. Remember she only lost the gold in the Junior Grand Prix final because of her mistakes. Kamila was not at her best and was slightly injured and pulled back on some of her most difficult content. Alysa could have played it safe and won but she went to hit her content and made a couple of mistakes that cost her. But you have to respect her for trying. In the recent Russian Cup final Nastya Gulyakova was supposed to debut a long-awaited triple axel. Everyone was waiting for it but she did not do it and still won over Nastya Gubanova because of the judging. Although both were good and clean. After Gulyakovas fine performance at Russian Nationals where she finished fifth I believe she played it safe and won the gold at the Russian Cup Final. But I would have respected her more if she did her triple axel in the short program and free program and if she fell on both and won silver instead of gold I would have had much more respect for her then to play it safe when she knew she had the gold locked up. Alysa is wired differently and sometimes doing the max when you don't have to will cost you like in the Junior Grand Prix final for Alysa.

Any disdain aimed at Liu from Russian fans is a disgrace because Alysa respects the Russians and admires them a lot just like her coach does. She reaches for the moon like most of the young Russian girls do and that is to be admired.

Scott512

Record Breaker
they could have a rivalry for the ages. But Kamila has so much more domestic competition than Alyssa does so we don't really know how things are going to pan out for Kamila. Alysa is guaranteed Olympic and World opportunities that is not the case or kamila because of the depth of greatness among the Russinas.

Yes, especially if she goes clean. if she does, i expect at least silver depending on how Kamila does. if she is also clean, there's no way she will lose.
I feel the same way. It's in Alysa's hands as always. But she may be more mistake-prone than Kamila is.

Does any other girl or woman actually do a quad and two triple axels in a free skate? I didn't think so. Alysa setting the bar very high.

Good luck to Alysa and everyone else at Junior worlds.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
they could have a rivalry for the ages. But Kamila has so much more domestic competition than Alyssa does so we don't really know how things are going to pan out for Kamila. Alysa is guaranteed Olympic and World opportunities that is not the case or kamila because of the depth of greatness among the Russinas.

Though I think Alysa could benefit from potential bigger rivalry at home. She is highly above everybody else in the US, but internationally she meets and in the future will meet Russians, Koreans, Japanese. With somebody else on the same level it's not only about rivalry, but also the responsibility can be shared.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Indeed, without domestic competition or even almost as good rink mates, Alysa will be alone.
And it is lonely at the top, when things don’t go that well for a while because of growth, injury or other interests, she’ll fall quickly and then it will be hard for her to find her way back to the top.

But for the moment things look good, and the current World Championships should be the only thing on Alysa’s mind.

She controls her own medal chances and doesn’t seem the type of athlete that gets light headed. So best of luck, clean skating and fair judging in the free skating competition.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Though I think Alysa could benefit from potential bigger rivalry at home. She is highly above everybody else in the US, but internationally she meets and in the future will meet Russians, Koreans, Japanese. With somebody else on the same level it's not only about rivalry, but also the responsibility can be shared.
it's kind of exciting to see her go head-to-head with Russian girls. There is no way to know what will happen and I think there's excellence and potentially greatness on display.

I also don't think it's fair that she and Sasha cannot do a quad in the short program. That would be a huge advantages for them.

Indeed, without domestic competition or even almost as good rink mates, Alysa will be alone.
And it is lonely at the top, when things don’t go that well for a while because of growth, injury or other interests, she’ll fall quickly and then it will be hard to find her way back to the top.

But for the moment things look good, and the current World Championships should be the only thing on Alysa’s mind.

She controls her own medal chances and doesn’t seem the type of athlete that gets light headed.

I see her winning many US national championships in a row and being a top medal Contender for years on the senior level. But there's so much talent there on the senior level the Russian C team will never make a world championships or Olympics and they're very talented ladies. Even the girls on the Russian B team are unlikely to ever make a worlds team. It's hard to imagine that one of 3A or Kamila won't be on the Olympic team in 2 years unless they change the rules and allow more skaters per country. Alysa will not have the same issue with United States ladies. Although it's nice to say how good bradie and Mariah have gotten in their 20s. T

I think Alysa Liu will put in the work and take her time and see where she's at in 2 years. That will be the time to shine my friends. I like her coach but I don't know if she's on Eteris level.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I am so disappointed with how low Alysa was scored. Low-scoring for most of my favorites over the years has made me lose some love for figure skating.

I hope Alysa comes up big in her free skate today. Being in fourth place makes it harder for her to win gold. Now she has to jump three girls.

breadstal

Record Breaker
Yeah, it's just exhausting. (tbh it's more about some skaters being overscored, but anyway...). I'm not fan of her SP, but I REALLY like her long. Hopefully she will be clean and have great performance <3

Vemvane

On the Ice
What a delightful, wonderful free skate from Alysa! She was beautiful out there - she has come so far in this single season, and she will go even further.