Alysa Liu | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Alysa Liu

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Alysa gave the figure skating the new energy. She is the competitior that is needed and will force everyone to deliver their best. And she is so sweet :love:

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Alysa skated a beautiful FS. I really love the choreo and music :) Would not be mad if she is kept it for next season.
Unfortunate fall on the 4Lz, but she did not let that baffle her!
She radiated throughout the program as well as on the podium! Always pure sunshine!
Congrats on earning a Junior Worlds medal during her first junior season and to many more! (Thought she deserved more GOE on some of her elements though *grumble*)
I have seen so many improvements in her skating over the season, today even more! I am so looking forward to see the skater Alysa will become in the next few seasons!

breadstal

Record Breaker
i disagree with her getting bronze, but i think in long run it will be good for her. it's not just about jumps (which she needs to work on more, to get more height, add more tr). she has to work hard to get better goes and pcs like other medalits. her improvement this season was great to watch, can't wait to see her develop more!

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Feel like Alysa needs more competition at her rink like someone mentioned. Bradie has the same issues at her rink as far as I know. Kaori also struggled this season and she mentioned that it was because Mai was the only other skater on her level at their rink and once Mai was gone for treatment Kaori lost motivation as she had no one to compete with at the rink. Alysa would definitely benefit from having more competition nationally as well as at her rink.

Alysa before the press-conference
About training environment: "I don't think there are senior ladies where I train. Don't mean this in a bad way, but I think I'm the best one at my rink. The environment is like a public rink almost "
https://twitter.com/hideg_y/status/1236355829500166144?s=19

Scott512

Record Breaker
I didn't get to see what happened but I have to say I'm disappointed with her scores. It sounded like Alysa skated better than she was placed. But as someone else said maybe this will be good for her in the long run.

Nothing she can do about the lack of competition at her rink. It's a public rink so it's not like you're going to get Russian C team type talent to train with her. It's kind of unbelievable that she has greater competition in the Juniors and she has an US senior nationals. But that's the case.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
It should have been silver but whatever.

I'm worried that she's going to enter a trend of being underscored because of the false myths surrounding her skating. She's not just all jumps. Those spins are some of the best in the business.

Very annoyed right now.

Scott512

Record Breaker
It should have been silver but whatever.

I'm worried that she's going to enter a trend of being underscored because of the false myths surrounding her skating. She's not just all jumps. Those spins are some of the best in the business.

Very annoyed right now.
Alysavwould be scored better as a senior senior judges like girls with triple axels and quads and spins. Alysa must be very frustrated. I hope she keeps the faith.

US Federation should petition the international skating union for Alysa to be able to skate seniors next year after she won two senior Nationals in a row. She turns 15 this summer. Even though it's after the deadline there's no point in her returning to Juniors when she's won 2 senior Nationals in a row.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Alysa scored 204 at junior wolrds. Quite diffeerent than senior nationals. Wasnt 204 much too low for her? Kamila deserved the gold but I was surprised Alysa scored that low.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Feel like Alysa needs more competition at her rink like someone mentioned. Bradie has the same issues at her rink as far as I know. Kaori also struggled this season and she mentioned that it was because Mai was the only other skater on her level at their rink and once Mai was gone for treatment Kaori lost motivation as she had no one to compete with at the rink. Alysa would definitely benefit from having more competition nationally as well as at her rink.

Alysa before the press-conference
About training environment: "I don't think there are senior ladies where I train. Don't mean this in a bad way, but I think I'm the best one at my rink. The environment is like a public rink almost "
https://twitter.com/hideg_y/status/1236355829500166144?s=19

Hey I have an idea. Bring in Gubanova and Tarankova and Nugumanova. All 3 are buried in Russia and all 3 need to learn 3A and Alysas coach Laura teaches that so why not? ;) Then she will have some professional comptition to make her better. :)

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Please remember Goldenskate guidelines when posting in a FanFest:

Fan Fests
The Fan Fest (FF) is a place for fans to celebrate and praise their favorite skaters—not a place to pick apart their technique, skills, etc.

Thank you!

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The LA Times had a whole section on Sunday devoted to women in sports. Both Michelle Kwan and Alysa Liu were in it. I liked that Alysa told her dad not to read the comments said about her and she says she avoids reading them - smart girl! I just love her attitude. Congrats to her on her World Junior bronze! Here's a link to that section from the LA Times. I have used up my free views so hoping the link works:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-03-08/women-in-sports-game-changers

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alysa scored 204 at junior wolrds. Quite diffeerent than senior nationals. Wasnt 204 much too low for her? Kamila deserved the gold but I was surprised Alysa scored that low.

Junior scores are lower, aren't they, because there is one less choreo step sequence (I think). I think Alysa is underscored on PCS and Kamila is overscored.

Scott512

Record Breaker
The LA Times had a whole section on Sunday devoted to women in sports. Both Michelle Kwan and Alysa Liu were in it. I liked that Alysa told her dad not to read the comments said about her and she says she avoids reading them - smart girl! I just love her attitude. Congrats to her on her World Junior bronze! Here's a link to that section from the LA Times. I have used up my free views so hoping the link works:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-03-08/women-in-sports-game-changers
Thanks. Happy women's day purplecat.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Junior scores are lower, aren't they, because there is one less choreo step sequence (I think). I think Alysa is underscored on PCS and Kamila is overscored.

Agreed about Alysa. Not sure Kamila is over scored.

ana

On the Ice
Congratulations to Alysa for winning bronze medal! She delivered a wonderful perfomance in FS. A very talented young lady, a ray of sunshine, always smile, very happy.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Alysa Liu: “ The way Zagitova jumped in Pyeongchang-2018 is simply unbelievable ”

Two-time US champion - about her admiration of Zagitova and Shcherbakova, fast food before the competition and the desire to skate at least till 20 years of age.

Looking at the half-empty stands of the Tondiraba Arena in Tallinn, it was difficult to get rid of the impression that the World Championship among juniors is a pleasant prelude to the main tournament of the season - the senior World Championship. However, the coronavirus roaming the planet made its own corrections and forced ISU to cancel the tournament, like almost all sports competitions around the world. Then it became clear - the juniors were lucky to have been identify their strongest. And the final point of the women's competitions in the 2019/20 season was the bright performances of the 13-year-old Champion Kamila Valiyeva, Silver medalist Dar'ya Usachyova and the subject of our interview, Alysa Liu, who won the Bronze medal.

Although the 14-year-old American, who, among other things, owns cascades with a quadruple Lutz and a triple Axel, could potentially compete with Valiyeva, in fact, their confrontation did not happen. After the short program, Alysa was only in fourth, despite the unique cascade of “triple Axel - triple Toeloop”, and in terms of total points she became third, losing to Usachyova, who does not own ultra-si. A cursory glance at the protocols is enough to understand the reason - under rotations at the most valuable jumps, lower bonus points for the quality of the elements and lesser rewards in the components. At the same time, the cheerfully smiling skater herself admitted this after the end of the competition.
“ I think this season was successful for me, ” said Liu. “ I've learned a lot and understood what to work on. What exactly? I think everything - by jumping, spinning and sliding. ”

- Tell us, how is your regular training day?

“ I get up two hours before training. Then I go to training, and during the break most of the time I spend chatting with friends or doing homework. But still I talk more with friends (laughs). Sometimes we have rather long breaks and we manage to go shopping, although more often we don’t buy something, but just look at the windows. It also happens that we walk around the city in search of new places where you can eat. Plus, twice a week we have classes outside the ice. I’m a home-based online school student, I like physical education lessons most of all, because I know the most about this subject. Teachers trust us, you only need to do the tasks that they ask.

Trainer mom and figure skating dad

Alysa was born with the help of a surrogate mother. In addition to Alysa, father Arthur Liu raises four more daughters - 12-year-old Selena and nine-year-old triplets Justin, Julia and Joshua. Therefore, the words spoken by Liu about her coach Laura Lipetsky acquire a special meaning. Moreover, at competitions Lipetsky almost never for a second leaves the pupil unattended, watching from afar even the draws and press conferences with her charge participating.

“ My coach Laura Lipetsky is like a mom to me, because we usually see her every day and work a lot together, including outside the ice, ” Liu admitted.
“ I like to train under her guidance. Laura is my first coach, we have been working together for 9-10 years. My father always goes with me to competitions, I know that there are figure skating mothers, and I have a figure skating dad. He always supports me. Sometimes he even offers something, but his suggestions are not always good, so usually I trust myself. ”

- It’s no secret that there are no skaters of your level in your skating rink, but when you come to competitions it’s different. What are the pros and cons of the lack of rivals in the group?

“ The disadvantage is that I do not have enough competition, but there is a plus - I can feel more relaxed, no one overtakes me (smiles). At competitions like the Junior Grand Prix Final and the World Championships, a lot of spectators come, we never have that much at our rink. ”

Kwan and Shcherbakova as motivators

- How do you usually manage to find motivation?

“ I am motivated by myself and other athletes, such as Aleksandra Trusova and Anna Shcherbakova, who perform quadruple jumps. Michelle Kwan from the past is very inspiring, and now it is Shcherbakova. Michelle won an incredible number of World Championships, skated for a very long time and worked a lot, and Shcherbakova I admire because of her amazing triple jumps and skating. She has the “full package” (full skill set).

I watched the Olympics in Sochi-2014 and Pyeongchang-2018 and I want to say that the technical level in single skating has grown incredibly. How Alina Zagitova jumped in Pyeongchang-2018 with all the jumps in the second half of the program is very difficult and simply incredible. DoI think about winning the Olympic medal? Of course, I dream to get there, but how everything can turn out, I cannot even imagine. ”

- Now is the time of constant increase of difficulty in women's single skating - quadruple jumps and triple axels. If you try to imagine to what age you plan to skate?

“ This is a rather complicated question, I don’t know, we'll see. It is possible perhaps up to 30 years or something like that, but at least until 20. Until the Olympics in Milan-2026? Maybe. ”

McDonald's before the starts

- What do you like most about figure skating?

“ Presenting my programs, watching the performances of other skaters, this slight excitement before the competition, this is the worst feeling, but at the same time it is an amazing feeling. When you are supported, you skate out your program well, and then you feel happy. At each competition, I receive gifts from fans, and I admit that I had never imagined before that someone would give me something. ”

- In terms of nutrition, you have to limit yourself?

“ I have no diet, and I have never been filled out. While I eat everything I want. ”

- Can you even go to McDonald's?

“ Yes, three hours before the competition I usually go there (laughs). ”

- How would you characterise yourself?

“ A little crazy, not annoying, but noisy. I have quiet friends, but I'm certainly not like that - I usually talk a lot. ”

(c) Екатерина Беспалова
-----
From: https://www.sport-express.ru/figure...ob-aline-zagitovoy-anne-scherbakovoy-1652831/

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
I had to laugh at the fast food.

I follow her on Instagram and she is incredibly food motivated based on some of her posts. It's very cute and a nice change to the usual food taboos in figure skating.

What a darling she is and how lucky the US is to have her. She's really the complete package. That bubbly outgoing personality the press dreams of.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Alysa for winning bronze medal! She delivered a wonderful perfomance in FS. A very talented young lady, a ray of sunshine, always smile, very happy.
No one has posted in Alysas thread in over three months and that is outrageous.

Yes of course congratulations to her on her bronze medal at Junior worlds. Oddly enough she had tougher competition at Junior worlds than she does and Senior US Nationals.
Alysa Liu: “ The way Zagitova jumped in Pyeongchang-2018 is simply unbelievable ”

Two-time US champion - about her admiration of Zagitova and Shcherbakova, fast food before the competition and the desire to skate at least till 20 years of age.

Looking at the half-empty stands of the Tondiraba Arena in Tallinn, it was difficult to get rid of the impression that the World Championship among juniors is a pleasant prelude to the main tournament of the season - the senior World Championship. However, the coronavirus roaming the planet made its own corrections and forced ISU to cancel the tournament, like almost all sports competitions around the world. Then it became clear - the juniors were lucky to have been identify their strongest. And the final point of the women's competitions in the 2019/20 season was the bright performances of the 13-year-old Champion Kamila Valiyeva, Silver medalist Dar'ya Usachyova and the subject of our interview, Alysa Liu, who won the Bronze medal.

Although the 14-year-old American, who, among other things, owns cascades with a quadruple Lutz and a triple Axel, could potentially compete with Valiyeva, in fact, their confrontation did not happen. After the short program, Alysa was only in fourth, despite the unique cascade of “triple Axel - triple Toeloop”, and in terms of total points she became third, losing to Usachyova, who does not own ultra-si. A cursory glance at the protocols is enough to understand the reason - under rotations at the most valuable jumps, lower bonus points for the quality of the elements and lesser rewards in the components. At the same time, the cheerfully smiling skater herself admitted this after the end of the competition.
“ I think this season was successful for me, ” said Liu. “ I've learned a lot and understood what to work on. What exactly? I think everything - by jumping, spinning and sliding. ”

- Tell us, how is your regular training day?

“ I get up two hours before training. Then I go to training, and during the break most of the time I spend chatting with friends or doing homework. But still I talk more with friends (laughs). Sometimes we have rather long breaks and we manage to go shopping, although more often we don’t buy something, but just look at the windows. It also happens that we walk around the city in search of new places where you can eat. Plus, twice a week we have classes outside the ice. I’m a home-based online school student, I like physical education lessons most of all, because I know the most about this subject. Teachers trust us, you only need to do the tasks that they ask.

Trainer mom and figure skating dad

Alysa was born with the help of a surrogate mother. In addition to Alysa, father Arthur Liu raises four more daughters - 12-year-old Selena and nine-year-old triplets Justin, Julia and Joshua. Therefore, the words spoken by Liu about her coach Laura Lipetsky acquire a special meaning. Moreover, at competitions Lipetsky almost never for a second leaves the pupil unattended, watching from afar even the draws and press conferences with her charge participating.

“ My coach Laura Lipetsky is like a mom to me, because we usually see her every day and work a lot together, including outside the ice, ” Liu admitted.
“ I like to train under her guidance. Laura is my first coach, we have been working together for 9-10 years. My father always goes with me to competitions, I know that there are figure skating mothers, and I have a figure skating dad. He always supports me. Sometimes he even offers something, but his suggestions are not always good, so usually I trust myself. ”

- It’s no secret that there are no skaters of your level in your skating rink, but when you come to competitions it’s different. What are the pros and cons of the lack of rivals in the group?

“ The disadvantage is that I do not have enough competition, but there is a plus - I can feel more relaxed, no one overtakes me (smiles). At competitions like the Junior Grand Prix Final and the World Championships, a lot of spectators come, we never have that much at our rink. ”

Kwan and Shcherbakova as motivators

- How do you usually manage to find motivation?

“ I am motivated by myself and other athletes, such as Aleksandra Trusova and Anna Shcherbakova, who perform quadruple jumps. Michelle Kwan from the past is very inspiring, and now it is Shcherbakova. Michelle won an incredible number of World Championships, skated for a very long time and worked a lot, and Shcherbakova I admire because of her amazing triple jumps and skating. She has the “full package” (full skill set).

I watched the Olympics in Sochi-2014 and Pyeongchang-2018 and I want to say that the technical level in single skating has grown incredibly. How Alina Zagitova jumped in Pyeongchang-2018 with all the jumps in the second half of the program is very difficult and simply incredible. DoI think about winning the Olympic medal? Of course, I dream to get there, but how everything can turn out, I cannot even imagine. ”

- Now is the time of constant increase of difficulty in women's single skating - quadruple jumps and triple axels. If you try to imagine to what age you plan to skate?

“ This is a rather complicated question, I don’t know, we'll see. It is possible perhaps up to 30 years or something like that, but at least until 20. Until the Olympics in Milan-2026? Maybe. ”

McDonald's before the starts

- What do you like most about figure skating?

“ Presenting my programs, watching the performances of other skaters, this slight excitement before the competition, this is the worst feeling, but at the same time it is an amazing feeling. When you are supported, you skate out your program well, and then you feel happy. At each competition, I receive gifts from fans, and I admit that I had never imagined before that someone would give me something. ”

- In terms of nutrition, you have to limit yourself?

“ I have no diet, and I have never been filled out. While I eat everything I want. ”

- Can you even go to McDonald's?

“ Yes, three hours before the competition I usually go there (laughs). ”

- How would you characterise yourself?

“ A little crazy, not annoying, but noisy. I have quiet friends, but I'm certainly not like that - I usually talk a lot. ”

(c) Екатерина Беспалова
-----
From: https://www.sport-express.ru/figure...ob-aline-zagitovoy-anne-scherbakovoy-1652831/
Alysa may be the most charming figure skater to come along in years. She is pure gold on and off the ice. And she's already so great with a media at 14 years old. Amazing.
I had to laugh at the fast food.

I follow her on Instagram and she is incredibly food motivated based on some of her posts. It's very cute and a nice change to the usual food taboos in figure skating.

What a darling she is and how lucky the US is to have her. She's really the complete package. That bubbly outgoing personality the press dreams of.

Yes it is unusual that a ladies figure skater talks about food so much. Lol.

Alysa has already won two United States senior national championships. I hope this is going to be her last year and juniors because if you can win to senior national championships there's no reason to still be in juniors in my opinion. If she has to do two more years of Juniors because of the month she was born in the United States figure skating association should petition the international skating union for an exemption for Alysa.

breadstal

Record Breaker
So did Alysa split with her coach? I saw that she unfollowed her, and that she is rumored to work with Lee Barkell.