Alysa Liu | Page 23 | Golden Skate

Alysa Liu

Scott512

Record Breaker
I just have to get this off my chest once and then I'll go back to simply uplifting our girl:

I find it hilarious how every! single! time! Alysa does well at a competition, all these keyboard warriors come crawling out of the woodwork to insist that she has no shot at medalling at any of her GP events (let alone the Olympics!), she's way behind the Russians/Japanese/Koreans/all of the above in every aspect of skating, she poses no threat to [insert their fave(s)], etc etc etc

Why are they so pressed if they really think she's not a threat? If it's so obvious that she doesn't have any chance of medalling even at the GPs, why bother going to the effort of constantly (obsessively!) anonymously denigrating her on the internet? Truly fan behavior 👀🥱
Congratulations to Alysa on winning lombardia trophy. How did she do a Cranberry Cup?

I'm very glad Alysa looks to be heading into top form in her debut senior season. She also put puberty behind her faster than any skater I've ever seen. Big things could be on the horizon for her.

You can't worry about the keyboard warriors.
I don't know if she can score high enough to be a contender with the top 3 Russian ladies. But if she can score 220 points she will be in contention to medal at GP events and be right there with the top Japanese and Korean ladies.

I sure hope coronavirus gives us a break to break and we get to have a full season for all levels of figure skating.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can’t speak for anyone else, but more skaters entering the upper echelons is a good thing for the sport, not a bad thing.

Better competition makes everyone better after all.

Same reason I want Plushenko, and all the wannabe Plushenko’s, to also succeed.

beepboop

On the Ice
Nice new Alysa article from Phil Hersh who interviewed her over facetime:

I didn't realize that she had graduated high school! Wow!

she's such an impressive young woman in so many ways. I sure hope "until she begins college applications later this fall" means the 2022-2023 cycle and not this upcoming fall.... otherwise she might be submitting college applications from the Olympics 😅

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's celebrate! In case someone didn't see it, I'm cross-posting from US women's thread.

... one of the really interesting sections of this article (good work Phil Hersh)... how she and her coaches worked hard to change her whole approach to her jumps. Fans here and elsewhere have been very vocal about how Alysa's jump technique needed to change, so I think we should really celebrate that she did it! :points: It's not easy to change technique, and it's even harder to make the new technique stick when you're in a competition, and the nerves can cause a skater to revert back to muscle memory of the old technique. Well done, Alysa! :dance3:

Not only did she make those changes, but she made them in a relatively short span of time, when you consider her injuries since covid and a pretty significant growth spurt.

skatingiscool

On the Ice
Cross Posted.

I'm sure some of you have seen it before but I post it anyway. Alysa is the only one met Criteria #2 for Group 2. Her Lombardia score is higher than Sasha score at Worlds 21. Honestly, I don't think any US ladies can meet Criteria #2 for Group 1 at all. In fact, it's likely that Alysa is the only US lady can meet Group 2 selection criteria (perhaps Bradie too?). As long as Alysa is placed in top 5 at 2022 nationals (almost certainly), Alysa is a lock for Olympics team. I hope she continues her consistency at GP and nationals. Alysa is very pleasant to watch especially her smiles and joy on ice.

U.S. FIGURE SKATING
ATHLETE SELECTION PROCEDURES
2022 OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES (amended July 20, 2021) - 35 page document:
https://www.usfigureskating.org/sit... Olympic Games Selection Procedures FINAL.pdf

Key selection criteria:

Group 1
Highest Priority
Group 2Group 3Group 4
Lowest Priority
CRITERIA
FOR 2022 US
CHAMPIONSHIPS
Placed in the top 3
AND
Placed in the top 5
AND
Placed in the top 3
OR
Placed in the top 5
OR
CRITERIA
FOR 2021
INTERNATIONAL
SCORES *
Consistently scored equal to Top 3 at 2021 WorldsConsistently scored equal to Top 5 at 2021 Worlds
AND/OR

scored once equal to Top 3 at 2021 Worlds
Consistently scored equal to Top 10 at 2021 Worlds
AND/OR

scored once equal to Top 5 at 2021 Worlds
Scored once equal to Top 10 at 2021 Worlds
OR

consistently scored equal to Top 15 at 2021 Worlds

Reactions: ana

Arbitrary

Medalist
Do we know any particular reason why Alysa isn't going to Skate America this year?
I was under impression, the best skaters of the host nation should do it by default?

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Do we know any particular reason why Alysa isn't going to Skate America this year?
I was under impression, the best skaters of the host nation should do it by default?
She finished 4th at the last US nationals and also was only coming to seniors, so the preference was given Bradie and Amber.

Arbitrary

Medalist
She finished 4th at the last US nationals and also was only coming to seniors, so the preference was given Bradie and Amber.
Preference by the last year?
I'd prefer to "prefer" per potential. The really put Amber above Alysa "now"??? (nothing against Amber, yet...)