Andrew Torgashev | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Andrew Torgashev

Tav

Rinkside
Such a good point to make that he might be slightly injured and just wanting to heal up for Nationals! That would explain him being on the substitute list. I'm thinking something is wrong, or he would not have said he wanted another international competition after Skate America. But... whatever is wrong is probably minor and can be healed in time for Nationals, a competition Andrew prioritizing very highly. I wonder if we'll ever find out what's going on...

Agreed that he would get selected for 4CC over Goku, provided he's healthy. Many people just see Andrew skating in a vacuum and just assume he's failing, when he's doing well compared to the American men's field. Just nowhere near Ilia, but no one else is that good. Jason got a 236 in Warsaw, which is not much better than Andrew's Lombardia score.

Tav

Rinkside
Oh, I just discovered Ilia is actually going to 4CC, after all! I guess he's doing that and Art on Ice, or isn't doing Art on Ice. I don't know. But, now there are only two other spots for the men to make the 4CC team. Since Andrew meets all the criteria for selection, he ought to be named for sure. Can't be sure about the third man, but it could be Jimmy or Camden.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, I just discovered Ilia is actually going to 4CC, after all! I guess he's doing that and Art on Ice, or isn't doing Art on Ice. I don't know. But, now there are only two other spots for the men to make the 4CC team. Since Andrew meets all the criteria for selection, he ought to be named for sure. Can't be sure about the third man, but it could be Jimmy or Camden.

Art on Ice is advertising Ilia, so he should be there. I agree that Andrew should be one of the remaining selections. 🤞

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Andrew posted an IG Story for World Ice Skating Day. First there's a clip of him landing a 4T, then the caption "But Also...", and and then we see him wiping out on a death drop. It looks rather scary, but people are laughing about it, so he must have been okay.

Not sure how much longer this will be available, and you probably can't see it without an account, but here is the link:

Also, USFS found a way to "sort of" put the US skaters' SA programs on their YouTube Channel. As in, they put different music over them and the camera angles are a bit different. Here is Andrew's SP. You'll take any excuse to watch that StSeq again, right? YES! :love2:

Not sure why, but Andrew's LP isn't on there (yet?) for some reason.
EDIT: His LP was posted on Dec 11th, so scroll down the thread. :)

Last edited:

Tav

Rinkside
Those videos of Andrew on IG are old, I'm pretty sure. He looks younger in both of them. That's not him recently because he's probably not skating right now. Maybe he just wanted to contribute as best he could for World Ice Skating Day.

Also, Ilia's sports agent told Dave Lease that he is planning on doing 4CC this season. I'm just going on that for confirmation that Ilia will be on the team.

Last edited:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for saving the IG stories, @Tav, I am always impressed by skaters who are able to post their triumphs and their mistakes.

Other skaters have posted "old" videos (outdoor skating seems popular) so I agree that it was Andrew may have done.

Tav

Rinkside
Thank you for saving the IG stories, @Tav, I am always impressed by skaters who are able to post their triumphs and their mistakes.

Other skaters have posted "old" videos (outdoor skating seems popular) so I agree that it was Andrew may have done.

Amber Glenn posted one from when she was in Espoo, so old, but not all that old. Outdoor skating is really not easy to find in the world. I've never done it, though I would love to someday.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Tomoki scored 191 total at Golden Spin. Goku scored 197 total. I'd say Andrew is 100% going to be named to 4CC. There's no reason why they wouldn't send him, unless he declines it for some reason. I would hope he's able to compete by then. The next hurdle would be getting a visa and arriving at the event on schedule. Poor Roman Sadovsky. :palmf:

There is no Golden Spin livestream. Someone at Golden Spin was live tweeting scores and placements.

Last edited:

Tav

Rinkside
Tomoki scored 191 total at Golden Spin. Goku scored 197 total. I'd say Andrew is 100% going to be named to 4CC. There's no reason why they wouldn't send him, unless he declines it for some reason. I would hope he's able to compete by then. The next hurdle would be getting a visa and arriving at the event on schedule. Poor Roman Sadovsky. :palmf:

There is no Golden Spin livestream. Someone at Golden Spin was live tweeting scores and placements.

Yeah, there's no question that Andrew's being named to 4CC. I think he would even if Jason were going, too, but he isn't. He meets all the criteria and only seven guys do, plus him having a higher weighted score for the requirements due to his third highest SB score internationally this season.

I feel SOOOO bad for Roman Sadovsky. He really has the worst luck right now. Is he having visa problems, too? His most recent travel issue was too much snow or a blizzard in Toronto and the plane couldn't take off in time.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I feel SOOOO bad for Roman Sadovsky. He really has the worst luck right now. Is he having visa problems, too? His most recent travel issue was too much snow or a blizzard in Toronto and the plane couldn't take off in titime.
No visa issues that I know of for Roman. I just know that that can be problematic also. Traveling internationally is not for the faint of heart. And yet skaters and all athletes do it all the time, usually without incidents that we hear about. Amazing.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Donovan Carrillo's skates have been lost at least three times in the past two years:eek2: At Tayside Trophy, he competed in borrowed skates and costume:oops:

Let us hope that Andrew never has such a problem with his skates :pray: And definitely hopes up for 4CCs!

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
The timing of why USFS releases each "Behind the Lens" video when they do remains a mystery to me, but today they posted Andrew's SA FS. There's not enough footwork included for my taste, but it's still lovely. My favorite jumps were 3A+2A and 3Lz+Eu+3S. Interestingly, the awkward pause is even more awkward in this slowed-down version. :laugh:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did not know about this series, thanks @skatingfan4ever. Also puzzled why they wouldn't include more of the step sequences that, well, make Andrew Andrew. :) But still good to see.

Brooklet

Spectator
Such a good point to make that he might be slightly injured and just wanting to heal up for Nationals! That would explain him being on the substitute list. I'm thinking something is wrong, or he would not have said he wanted another international competition after Skate America. But... whatever is wrong is probably minor and can be healed in time for Nationals, a competition Andrew prioritizing very highly. I wonder if we'll ever find out what's going on...

Agreed that he would get selected for 4CC over Goku, provided he's healthy. Many people just see Andrew skating in a vacuum and just assume he's failing, when he's doing well compared to the American men's field. Just nowhere near Ilia, but no one else is that good. Jason got a 236 in Warsaw, which is not much better than Andrew's Lombardia score.

Reactions: Tav

Tav

Rinkside
Okay, I just found out that a fan in China asked Ilia point-blank at the GPF if he was going to return (to China) for 4CC, and he said, "sorry, no."

So, he really isn't going to 4CC, after all, and that's going to leave all three spots for the U.S. men to everyone who isn't Ilia or Jason.