Anyone changing their username? | Golden Skate

Anyone changing their username?

Layback11

Record Breaker
There's a one-time opportunity to change your username right now...anyone going to do it? If so, what's your new name?

I thought there should be a thread for this so other posters will know who you are/were if you decided to do so.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So tempted to change my name to BingBotSpider :biggrin:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I did...am I the only one? I never liked the old one - it was from a tv show that jumped the shark so I was really over it...

TAFKAP gallavich

Go for it, Sam-Skwantch ;)

tulosai

Record Breaker
I thought about it but feel like at this point people on the boards know me by this name, might as well keep it :)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've changed mine from Larkin to skylark.

thanks, Layback, for this thread. :)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
So tempted to change my name to BingBotSpider :biggrin:

:laugh:

I thought about it but feel like at this point people on the boards know me by this name, might as well keep it

And that is exactly how I feel as well. :agree:

It just gets too confusing when somebody you know gets married and changes their name. If I had a penny for every time I've been looking through my Facebook news feed, and come across a strange name, and thought "erm, who's that...?" And then, after ages trying to work it out, you finally realise "Ah. That's XXXX, who I went to school with!"

Nah, it's a lot simpler if people just stick to the name they've always had.

That said, now that I have heard the background story to the username "gallavich", I can understand why they decided to change to "silverfoxes".

And that is why I am so glad that I spent a couple of days thinking through possible usernames before I joined. Boys but I am so glad I did, because I came up with one that I really like, and it has definitely become my brand on here! (...and elsewhere too!) ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Wo|flax

Final Flight
I want to change my username but I'm not sure what to change it to...:think:

MalAssada

Medalist
Crazy to change my username, bellflower was something too simple. Plus, nobody knows me here.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Oh, I knew this was going to get confusing.

Now we have MODERATORS requesting to change their name!!! :eek:

I know "Newbiespectator" is a name that can only ever be accurate for a short time. But everybody affectionately calls you "Newbie". Just like people affectionately call golden411 by the shortened "Golden".

The shortened version of your new name, "Inter", just doesn't have the same ring to it!

But, hey, it's up to you Newbie/Inter!

CaroLiza_fan

Layback11

Record Breaker
Should I change mine to SharkWhisperer? Or HumanPretzelSpin? Or TripleFlippingOut? Or (in reference to this season's epidemic warhorse) OhNoYouTurandidn't? :biggrin: Or how about RavensburgerKing? Even though I'm female...it's a pun too good to pass up :biggrin:

Also, re Sam: you should totally switch to BingBotSpider...that would be ridiculously amazing :laugh2:

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm going to stick to Mrs. P for now. :)

Anyway, for those of you who have changed your name and are playing the predictions game, can you please send me a PM so I can update your name on the score sheet. Skylark and silverfoxes, I have accounted for you two. :)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was tempted, as so many (understandably) assume it is a man's user name. But it has always been my username on all types of Internet fora, and it is close enough to my actual name that I feel it keeps me honest.

That and the fact that I never changed my name, professionally or personally, after marrying (our line: we made deal when we got married. I kept my last name, and my hubby kept his.)

But for BingBotSpider:points: That I would seriously consider!

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Yup folks, I was pushing it being a newbie for 4years, but It's gotta change some time.
:biggrin:

Can I just say, I just read your tag-line, and I LOVE your suggestion of "Specs" for a shortened version of your username. So much better than the "Inter" I assumed would be used!

I was tempted, as so many (understandably) assume it is a man's user name. But it has always been my username on all types of Internet fora, and it is close enough to my actual name that I feel it keeps me honest.

That and the fact that I never changed my name, professionally or personally, after marrying (our line: we made deal when we got married. I kept my last name, and my hubby kept his.)

But for BingBotSpider:points: That I would seriously consider!

Yep, I also fell into that trap with you. It was only recently that I realised that you were a woman.

As you know, I'm male. But, if I was female, I would want to keep my maiden name, as that is what everybody knows me by.

Hey, the other day I was talking to a girl I went to school with. She got married to another schoolfriend about 10 years ago. And while chatting to her I commented that I was so tempted to call her by her old nickname (which was based on her maiden name), but decided not to since she has been an Adams for so long. And she replied "Oh, [my name] - Dufferman will still be legit for years to come!!"

That made me smile! :)

But I totally with you on the idea of keeping your username the same on different platforms. For a start, it makes it easier to remember when you're signing in! :agree: But, it also makes it easier for those people that are also on the same different platforms as you, as they know who is who.

I don't visit FSU that often, because I don't like the attitude there. But, when I do, it is so much easier to put things into context when people are using the same username as they do on here.

About 10 years ago, I joined a forum for a Japanese girl group that I liked. And I based my username around the name of my favourite member. Then I joined a forum for a German rock band that I liked. And I was tempted to use "Manami_fan" there as well, but thought it would be silly. So, I used the same principle to create a new username.

But, I felt really guilty, as "Manami_fan" had really become my brand. And there were some members who were on both fora.

At least with the figure skating fora I am on, I have a username that can be used on all of them! So much simpler!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
What Is The Background To Your Username?

Since we currently have the opportunity to change our usernames, and it has become a topic for discussion, I thought it would be interesting to explore why you chose your username.

With some of you, it is obvious. Some people have based their usernames on:

• the names of their favourite skaters. (e.g. adelia, plushyfan, kwanatic, and me!)
  • their real name. (e.g. dorispulaski, Mrs. P, el henry)
  • something about their life (e.g. Mathman)

But with other people, it is less obvious as to where their username came from. And I am totally intrigued!

So, here is somewhere where you can discuss the meaning behind your username.

To start with, here is some background to mine.

About 10 years ago, I joined a forum for a Japanese girl group that I liked. One of the other members was using the name of their favourite member with "-fan" at the end. I liked that idea, so I did the same. Except that I used "_fan", because I have always preferred to use underscores to denote spaces.

So, I became "Manami_fan". And because I was so active (and because I was the only person posting in English!), it really became my brand.

Then I joined a forum for a German rock band that I liked. I was tempted to use "Manami_fan" there as well, but thought it would be silly. So, I used the same principle to become "Christina_fan", referring to the lead singer of the band.

But, I felt really guilty, as "Manami_fan" had really become my brand. And there were some members who were on both fora, and I was worried that it might become confusing for them So, I got around that by using avatars that were VERY similar in design:

Manami_fan avatar
Christina_fan avatar

The irony is, I don't think I ever actually posted in the forum for the German band!

Fast forward a few years, and I couldn't resist using the same principle when I joined this forum. But, there were 2 skaters that were my favourites, and I was having a lot of difficulty in deciding which one to choose for my username.

And then it came to me – why not use both? I normally hate it when people run 2 words into each other (especially when it is names), but I do think this one worked out really well.

And it has really become my brand on here!

CaroLiza_fan

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I haven't decided yet. I don't know what I'd change it to...

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
I have the word spiral in both my Yunaforum and Maoforum accounts and I like the word invisible. Also, I lurked here for a while until when I joined thanks to the age limit.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well my username is used on many social media platforms. The first use for it was on hanson.net. Which was the official website for the band Hanson. And fans can make accounts, message each other, participate in forums, buy stuff, and join the street team and/or fanclub. It was Friday, January 13, 2012. I was trying to think of a username and I thought to myself, "I like cheering, I knitting, and I like Hanson.....cheerknithanson!" So that's how that username was born and I use it on a total of at least 7 different social media platforms. It became my alias.